swing tempo problems

I just bought tour tempo
Will try it on the range/course this weekend

Just tappin away

Good choice bud. It's solid...been using it for 8+ years.

Just tap it in, just tap it in. Give it a little tap tap tappy. Tap tap tap-a-roo via Tapatalk.

My trick for tempo is similar, but I try to hit my 5 iron 100 yards. I always smoothly hit it over the 100 yard flag/marker of course, but thats the feeling I want to have.

Sent via Tapatalk on Android

Excellent. I do the same thing but usually with 6-iron. Concentrating on being smooth without decelerating is the key and the most effortless pured shots follow.

Awesome suggestion Drumdog; did this today (well, did 1-2-3 down not one-and-two, but same idea) and while I wasn't super consistent, I was making great contact and didn't have one terrible shot from being quick. It was my first round in a week (family visited then went white water rafting), so I'm looking forward to trying again tomorrow and seeing how it works again.

Try this - use a bigger number (more syllables) to get a longer count on any part of the swing, use a number like 6 hundred and 15. Works like this 'six hundred' going back to the top of the swing and then pause at the word 'and' then 'fifteen' coming down hitting the ball at 'teen'. If you want to slow the backswing even more use a longer number like 1700 to start back with 'seventeen hundred and fifteen'. If you want your downswing to go faster then use a shorter second part, like 'six hundred and five'. Using a longer number sound like this eliminates the chance of counting '1,2,3' too fast which defeats the purpose, the correct timing is built right into the length of the sound needed to say the number to yourself. A really slow tempo would be to use something like 'twenty-five hundred and thirty eight' takes longer just to say it to yourself. Try out different length sounds for both back and down swings until it seems right to you.

We stayed at the Westin Mission Hills resort in Palm Desert this Winter and they had a Tempo Tuner clinic in the morning. The pro brought down a boom box that played this slow rythmic music punctuated by phrases like "Ready.... Set... Smooth and full swing." The phrases were spaced apart so you had time to set up and go through a full pre-shot routine.

Hit shots with your feet together. Full shots but only with as full a turn as you can get with the feet touching. A heavy club helps or a do-nut on the end of the club also helps or a device like a orange whip. The feet together is the easiest and least expensive way to do this. Also you can hit drives on the course with your feet closer together than usual but not touching. This way you can play your way through this little twitch. Let your feet control the length of your swing.

Last edited:
There's probably an iPhone app for that :)

There's probably an iPhone app for that :)

Yes there is called Tour Tempo based off the book of the same name. Has different 3:1 tempos for full shot and 2:1 for short game and putting. Just got it the other day and plan on going to the range to try it out.

I've heard breathing exercises can help. Inhale back, exhale forward, that sort of thing. When I get quick, I find a counting pace that works for me, and say something like "1,2" on the backswing and "3,4" on the through swing. Just a thought...

My game goes as my tempo goes. If I get quick, the hook comes into play and I will be luck to break 100. With a tempo in check, I can break 80. I worked on 3/4 shots for most of last week and it led to a great round yesterday. I have the Tour Tempo app, but it doesnt work too well for me. I lose focus using it on the range and just end up wasting time.

My game goes as my tempo goes. If I get quick, the hook comes into play and I will be luck to break 100. With a tempo in check, I can break 80. I worked on 3/4 shots for most of last week and it led to a great round yesterday. I have the Tour Tempo app, but it doesnt work too well for me. I lose focus using it on the range and just end up wasting time.

Using the tour tempo app on the range gets frustrating for me. Either I have to use my Bluetooth headset which wiggles out when hitting shots or it has to be really quiet and I can barely hear it.

That's why I use it more at home without necessarily hitting balls. Then I'll use it for chipping in the yard. I tend to get to quick on chips so it helps.

Tapatalk on iPhone4S

Tempo is probably my number one issue preventing consistency. When tempo is good, ball striking is good. I try to establish tempo by hitting three iron or four iron first in warm-ups then again after hitting a few other clubs. I may hit 30 balls and 15 of them will be long irons. It is difficult for me to hit those two clubs if tempo is off. The good scoring days are days that I hit those good on the range and are still hitting them good by the time I get to #16.

My issue with tempo is that it changes as I play. My round can start with a good tempo but once I'm hitting the ball well, I start to get more aggressive and inevitably lose my tempo.

This is crazy, when I rushed my backswing, it was really hard for me to hit the ball straight. I noticed that when I brought back the club a bit slower, it would be easier for me to make solid contact. My instructor explained that the most
Important part of the swing is the down swing and that the down swing should be the fastest, not the back swing.

So for those that start getting quick as the round progresses, what are you thinking about? If you know that's your flaw, I wonder if you can find a key that will bring you back. Maybe a quote, series words or a rhythm in your head.

So for those that start getting quick as the round progresses, what are you thinking about? If you know that's your flaw, I wonder if you can find a key that will bring you back. Maybe a quote, series words or a rhythm in your head.
I'm searching for this "key" still myself buddy, when I get quick it's so bad.

Trying to hit it further usually is what throws mine off. I saw an LPGA mini tour player on the back of a range that was crushing it with the smoothest tempo that I tried to mimic and I was killing it. That lasted until my next round when I tried to start crushing it again. Stupidly frustrating when you know the smooth way gives you the same distance or better as trying to kill it

For me I lose it when I try to crush the ball. I'm going to put a "T" on my glove so I see it at address and it will remind me of a smooth tempo. Hopefully that will help.

For me I lose it when I try to crush the ball. I'm going to put a "T" on my glove so I see it at address and it will remind me of a smooth tempo. Hopefully that will help.

Sounds like you need a Swing Thought band

I have the same problem. For me, I think it's hitting to a distance. If my 6-iron goes 160, then by durn, when I have 160 to go, I'm gonna pull a 6-iron and put a big swing on it to make sure I get it there.

What I probably should do, particularly late in the round, is pull a 5-iron or even 4-iron and swing easy with an even tempo.

Back