KBS Tour 90 Shafts Review - Forum Testing

I don't know if this has been posted by the reviewers yet, but have you guys noticed a "gap" in yardage wise with your irons since switching shafts?

I have not. I thought I would and that I would definitely have one near the top of my bag, but it has taught me to focus on distances and I am really getting dialed in with them.

Thanks for the responses. The only reason I asked is cause I switched shafts on my irons a few years back and noticed the with my PW-7

No gaps that I can see either. My distances are a little off right now, due to the fact that I'm hittin them a little longer than my Ping CFS shafts. Only time and more rounds can fix this minor problem.

And another to chime in on the gaps question....no, I haven't seen any gapping issues switching to these as well. I haven't had them for long but I'm hitting these my usual distances.

Tapping from my S3

Guys, great work on this testing thread continues. I'm curious, how do these KBS Tour 90 shafts compare with a high quality lightweight graphite shaft? Like the Miyazaki's that Cleveland puts in the Blacks or something of that ilk?

Guys, great work on this testing thread continues. I'm curious, how do these KBS Tour 90 shafts compare with a high quality lightweight graphite shaft? Like the Miyazaki's that Cleveland puts in the Blacks or something of that ilk?
Hmmm.... I can definitely give you some thoughts on this one, D.

What kind of info are you looking for specifically?

Solid write up War....your thoughts and other's in here make me miss my KBS Tour 90's

KBS Tour 90 Shaft - Benefits of a Light Weight shaft

I am two weeks into testing the KBS Tour 90 Shafts in my irons, and wanted to write up a bit of a recap of my thoughts so far and what I have been seeing throughout my rounds and my range sessions. I am doing my best to describe what I see, but also trying to digest my thoughts and questions that I have on the course with logic and reasons why I am seeing what I am.

Through my rounds since putting the KBS Tour 90 shafts in to my irons, I find that I have been able to hold more greens when I hit them, compared to landing the green and my ball running well past and off the green.
  • In looking at my shots, specifically my shots to the green, the ball flight is noticeably higher than what I have had in the past. This is giving me an increased descent angle into the green, allowing the ball to have a bit more spin, and stop quicker on the green, holding its spot.
  • Many of my shots have the desired “hop and stop” and depending on what iron I was hitting, I am seeing that I am able to generate spin to have the ball back up a bit. The best instance I have had of this so far was my 6iron on a longer Par 3 last week; It had a nice trajectory on it, and actually backed up about a foot once it hit the green. This shot for me in the past is usually a low liner, that literally skips on the green and flies off the back.

I have noticed that my misses are “smaller.” My misses as of late have been “just left/right”, rather than having the huge push right or pull left and being completely out of position. Having the miss be smaller, rather than being out of the hole and struggling to scramble and make a bogey, I am staying in the hole with a chance to get up and down and block out the big number that could be looming.
  • I feel the lighter shafts allow my swing to stay in a smooth rhythm. I dont find myself noticing the twitch I have struggled with in the past at the top of my swing as I try to find that comfortable spot to begin my downswing. With staying in a good tempo in my swing, I feel that I make a clean move during the transition of my backswing to the downswing, which leads me to make a more consistent strike on the ball.
  • The lower weight of the KBS Tour 90 shafts allow me to have a better control of the club during my swing. I like to think that my swing staying smooth allows me to stay in control of the club during my swing. Staying in control of my swing and keeping myself in a good tempo allows me to have the club in the right position at the moment of impact, reducing the percentage of a miss (high on the face, out on the toe, etc)

When I talked to the guys at KBS Shafts about the testing, one of the things that had me thinking was when they mentioned that you could see a distance increase by going to a lighter shaft. Sounded good to me...right? But what I have wondered is, why? Why would someone see a distance gain by switching to a lighter weight shaft?
  • What I am seeing over the past few weeks isnt really a distance gain. But, what I am seeing is that I am able to hit to my distance with a much smoother and controlled swing. Instead of having to “step on it” to hit the number I want, I find that I am able to hit to my number with a nice, controlled swing. I dont feel that I have to swing out of my shoes to get the ball to the ball to the yardage I am used to. A nice, smooth swing allows the technology to get to work, and give me the desired results.
  • That controlled swing allows me to stay within myself, and not having to really hammer down on my swing for a yardage is leading me to see better accuracy on my shots.
Through the first few weeks, I feel that I have adjusted well to the KBS Tour 90 shafts. One of the most intriguing aspects of getting to test these shafts was the possibility of seeing a higher trajectory on my shots. So far, I have seen an increased height on my shots, and for someone that has struggled greatly with that in the past, it has been something that I have been quite happy to see. Over the past few weeks, I really feel that the lower weight of the KBS Tour 90 shafts have benefited me in quite a few ways, from staying in a controlled tempo in my swing, a higher ball flight, and a better trajectory on shots allowing me to hold the greens.

Hmmm.... I can definitely give you some thoughts on this one, D.

What kind of info are you looking for specifically?

Ball flight, spin, feel on mishits, shaft load, distance, etc. One of the things that has piqued my interest is the reports of how less fatiguing using the KBS Tour 90's have been. Even though I'm a big burly dude, I don't really practice enough that a full round on a hot day doesn't have me begging for mercy with my swing. So that benefit speaks to me. I've also been working on a smoother grooved swing instead of a fast transition.

So... that's all. LOL.

KBS Tour 90 - Should you replace your stock shafts? - Thoughts

So I was doing a little thinking today at my desk and really thought through the process before I received the opportunity to replace my shafts with these beauties. The main question was if I wasn't lucky enough to get to test these shafts what were the major reasons why I didn't replace my stock shafts or shafts that fit my swing earlier. There were several factors:

1. Cost - There is an associated cost with replacing shafts. I know this is a major decision factor for a lot of folks. For me, I wasn't serious enough about my game to go and drop $25 per shaft and then have them installed locally. You should ask yourself why you want to replace the shafts and weigh your opportunity costs. It is an investment of your time and money.

2. Shaft Education - There are so many different types of shafts out there. After doing my research and figuring out what I needed to improve, I made the choice to switch to KBS shafts. Sure a little bit of it is marketing, but if they are good enough for the pros, why not joes? Went to my local range and hit almost the entire line of KBS shafts as well as the stock offerings from Ping. I'm a huge numbers guy and went with the CFS shafts in a regular after some conversation with KMac. Speaking with Conrad and doing my own research, KBS seemed like the next logical step and I took the plunge. Do your research and figure out what you want out of your shaft. Don't just go out and get a C-Taper shaft cause so and so can hit it a country mile and it would be cool to show my friends that I have C-Taper shafts. Find one that fits your swing! I can't stress this enough. I'm sure the testers can agree with this sentiment.

3. The 1-800-Prove-It factor - All of the marketing hype says you can hit it this percentage farther and less dispersion. As much as I wanted to believe it, these numbers are found either by machine testing or a lot of data points from golfers hitting these clubs. I wanted the companies to prove it, so I can tell myself that it in fact does improve my game. I don't typically drink the Kool Aid so this was an important factor for me. So I did my own physical research at the range and had to confirm my suspicions.

4. Patience - I now have the new shafts in my clubs, what do I do now? What do you mean I can't see perfect ball flights immediately? Don't second guess yourself. The shafts aren't magic sticks that all of a sudden get you shooting par. It is the next chapter in your golfing education. Swinging these KBS Tour 90s has got me thinking about tempo, distance education, and confidence. I had to change my mindset a little bit to improve on my swing and course management. I was tentative with my old Ping i10 Stiff AWT shafts and would always wondering which miss was about to happen. Having the confidence in your equipment to do what it is supposed to do has changed my course management and attitude. Take your time, learn your swing and apply it to the new equipment you just placed in your clubs.

5. Keep on improving - Now that I have this equipment and new found confidence in shafts, I can't wait to go to Golftec and get some more lessons to get even more out of my shafts! This is the fun part people. Many of us already enjoy this silly game and it is fun to see each and everyone one of us improve. Thank you KBS and THP for improving my game and giving me the tools to increase my confidence.

Sorry for the long winded thinking out loud. This was a major change to my equipment and I didn't take it lightly. So go ahead and do your research and take the plunge in improving your game.

Perry

Absolutely great writeup, pmoa! Very true touching on doing your research and that changing shafts is not the be all end all. I'll be going out for 18 this morning so I'll have a writeup for everyone this evening.

Thanks buddy! Just like you said in an earlier post. Its the trajectory at which these balls are landing the green. Its relly great to know that we can attack pins now!

As a B-more ( in Bel Air now ) guy myself - what course is that?

Perry - I like that last write-up a lot. I know my dad and I went through that process earlier in the year when he was deciding on to shaft irons, which we eventually did. Cost wise helped him because I did the work for him so instead of spending $20 per shaft and $17 per shaft install and $3 a club to regrip + cost of the grip, it came down to essentially just paying 20 per shaft and we shaved grips from the irons they were coming off of. But if we were to have it done, not counting the grips he would have been looking at $280 for 7 clubs, not counting in grips. Being able to do the work yourself cut that price in half, which is why I was able to talk him in to it.

Absolutely great writeup, pmoa! Very true touching on doing your research and that changing shafts is not the be all end all. I'll be going out for 18 this morning so I'll have a writeup for everyone this evening.

Thanks JN! Would love to hear some thoughts about punch shots and other non standard full swing shots if you happen to come across them :)

Just getting caught up with these shaft testing. Interesting to see some of the slight changes that are going on for each of you.

KBS Tour 90 Testing - Frog Rock Golf, Hammonton, NJ
7/10/12

Before I get into a hole by hole analysis, I want to put some general thoughts out here in this writeup. Today was an eye opener for me...I came in knowing that a grooved, smooth swing was what the doctor ordered with the 90s. I had possibly one of my best ball striking days of my golfing career today and it helped me shoot a personal best of +5 75 at my home course. From my first swing today, there was a feeling of "nothingness" with the shaft, which was an eerie but very good thing as I was able to (or at least I thought I was able to) feel the club head more during my entire swing then with my previous TX Flighted shafts. On full and 3/4 swings, the ball was flying off of the face, high, and landed softly. I had two poor shots today (chunks) with these, but yet again, I believe that these shafts have helped my mishits lose less distance. By taking what I would have considered in the past to be a "less than full" swing, I found the center of the club face more often and have not lost any distance over my past shafts.

Hole by hole, focusing on my iron shots:

Hole 1: Par 4, 384 yards

After a driver that was long but left, I had about 130ish yards to pin high, but had to clear a tree that overlooks the left side of the green. I pulled my PW and hit it slightly toward the toe of the club...the ball soared into the air and faded a bit left, hitting the left side of the green and spinning just off into the fringe, pin high. I noticed the increased spin on the ball than I had seen before, which was a welcome sight. I also noticed how easily I could get the ball up in the air with these.

Hole 2: Par 5, 480 yards, GIR

Hit my hybrid into the left side of the fairway, and decided to lay up to 130 yards for another PW. Hit my PW for the layup, and again that feeling of nothingness from the shaft came over as I pured a shot down the center of the fairway to, sure enough, 130 yards. I again didnt see a lot of roll out from the PW due to the high ball flight and higher spin. My third shot was uphill and over water to a green that sloped back towards the water. Took my PW and hit a high looper that hit just over the flagstick and skidded forward about 5 feet, leaving me with a downhill putt that was about 15 feet. That same shot with the TX Flighted shafts would have given me a bit more rollout, so again I saw a higher, softer landing shot that had more spin on it.

Hole 3: Par 4, 355 yards GIR

Left with about 155 yards to the front, I hit my best and most challenging shot of the day. The fairway slopes from right to left, and my ball was on the left side of the fairway, leaving me with the ball below my feet (a shot I usually struggle with). I took a 7i and choked down on it a bit. Same smooth tempo, and the ball again flew high and on my target line. It hit the rough just short of the green and rolled out to 10 feet from the front pin. This green can be a tricky green to hold, as it is not a deep green, and yet I had confidence that these irons, with their "new" ball flight, could hold any green on a good shot.

Hole 4: Par 3, 130 yards, GIR

Hit my PW yet again. Pulled slightly, but hit and stopped about 4 inches from its pitch mark. I'm loving the increased spin I am seeing.

Hole 5, Par 4, 350 yards, GIR

Another high PW into the green, and this one hit and spun back about a foot, directly over the flagstick for a 10 foot birdie putt. By this point I am really noticing how effortless these shafts feel...even when they are only a couple grams lighter than my stock shafts.

Hole 6: Par 3, 125 yards, GIR

PW again, and this is into an uphill green. While I ended up a club short (pin was in the back of the green), the PW flew high and true to distance. I have a picture on my phone that shows the spin back I got on this shot that I will update this thread with...it shocked me. I spun the ball back 6 feet. Never have I seen that kind of spin on an iron shot before.

Hole 7: Par 4, 350 yards

My second shot into this green was about 160 yards out. Taking my 7i and looking at a back pin, I tried to go after the shot to try and carry the ball a few more yards. Big mistake. I ended up hitting the shot fat and towards the toe of the club. The difference in feel was striking...I didn't feel that effortlessness, that nothings that I had felt before...but to my surprise, I was only a few yards off line and lost probably around 10-15 yards. The shafts definitely gave me a bit of feedback on how I was too quick at the transition (and my playing partners confirmed that thought) but the miss was in a decent spot.

Hole 8: Par 5, 493 yards, GIR

Driver, 3W, 2 putt. On to the next.

Hole 9: Par 3, 127 yards, GIR

A severely uphill hole to a shallow green had me thinking, club up to a 9i, or stick with the PW? I stuck with the PW and reminded myself to keep a smooth tempo. And yet another high shot that hit the green right of the flagstick and was less than a foot from it's pitch mark.

Hole 10: Par 4, 375 yards

With another PW in, I again saw the seemingly added forgiveness that these shafts empart on my irons as I hit it heavy, but I only was about 25 feet short of the green.

Hole 11: Par 4, 305 yards, GIR / Hole 12: Par 4, 310 yards

Driver, wedge.

Hole 13: Par 3, 120 yards

This tee shot is over two bodies of water to yet another shallow green. Took PW and flew the green by a few yards...but it was a solid strike and I got back to a smooth tempo, which the 90s rewarded. I am growing to really like this higher ball flight. I also noticed that I was hitting into a slight headwind (around 5 mph or so) and it didn't seem to effect distance or ball flight.

Hole 14: Par 3, 155 yards, GIR

Took my 7i and slightly hit towards the toe. Ball still flew straight and to the distance I needed to hit the green. A bit more roll out (10 feet or so), but that is most likely due to the off center hit. Still very pleased with the result.

Hole 15: Par 3, 133 yards, GIR

Everyone getting this picture? :D another PW, and another GIR. Not sure what else I can say about these shafts but wow, they have been working for me well this round. Miles better than my first range session.

Hole 16: Par 5, 450 yards, GIR

Short downhill par 5, and I'm left with about 145 in, yet the pin is tucked into the left side of the green, short, with about 20 feet of green to hit. These shots are where the 90s really shine, as I hit a nice high fade into the green that hit the front edge and skidded to a stop immediately.

Hole 17: Par 5, 480 yards

Driver, hybrid, wedge.

Hole 18: Par 4, 325 yards

After a severely pulled hybrid, I am in the trees with about 100 yards left to the hole. I decided to try a version of the rope-hook-me-haysoos with my 5i, as I had an opening through the trees but had to hook the ball and keep it low...uh oh. I had never tried a punch shot with the 90s before and I didn't know what to expect. Well, I was able to keep the ball low and hook it, putting the ball back in my stance and cutting off my follow through. I hit an almost worm burner hook that got caught up in some thick rough just short of the green. All in all, a decent recovery shot.

My final thoughts on these shafts are this....wow. Just wow. And I mean that in the best way possible. These shafts have reminded me to keep my tempo smooth, and when I do that, they reward me with some high bombs that hold greens and travel on or near my target line. I never once had a case of the lefts with these shafts today, and the effortless feeling of swinging these shafts had me noticeably less fatigued after 18 holes. That tempo not only helped my iron shots, but crept into my tee shots and short game chips as well, which helped me score a whole lot better.

So could these be game improvement shafts? Initial signs for me say yes, and I cannot wait to get these out again very soon. Today was a really fun day of golf.

Last edited:
Excellent recap JN! Congrats on your score dude. I had a feeling you'd enjoy the 11/90 combo. Seems like a perfect match for you. Are you at all missing the flighted shafts?

Excellent recap JN! Congrats on your score dude. I had a feeling you'd enjoy the 11/90 combo. Seems like a perfect match for you. Are you at all missing the flighted shafts?

The stock shafts are sitting in a corner weeping. I am definitely not missing them at all, thanks to todays performance.

The stock shafts are sitting in a corner weeping. I am definitely not missing them at all, thanks to todays performance.

I didn't think so. I meant more do you miss what a flighted shaft can offer that the 90's can't?

I didn't think so. I meant more do you miss what a flighted shaft can offer that the 90's can't?

Being that I've only been playing this game since last spring, I really don't think that the flighted shafts added anything to my game. This being said, I am still curious as to how these 90s perform in more wind than I have seen. That is where I saw a change for the better when I changed from the uniflex, high launching Di11 shafts to the mid-high TX flitted shafts in the Ci11s. That is my only question as of now about the 90s.

Being that I've only been playing this game since last spring, I really don't think that the flighted shafts added anything to my game. This being said, I am still curious as to how these 90s perform in more wind than I have seen. That is where I saw a change for the better when I changed from the uniflex, high launching Di11 shafts to the mid-high TX flitted shafts in the Ci11s. That is my only question as of now about the 90s.

Well, for the sake of testing I hope you see some seriosu winds the next few times out, lol

Well, for the sake of testing I hope you see some seriosu winds the next few times out, lol

I agree, dude. It's something that I thought about when I was out there today. But we haven't had a lot of wind lately (well, except for the storms that hit us, but I sure as hell wasn't about to play golf then, lol).

J Nate that was a really good update. Great round today dude.

JN I'm looking forward to your thoughts with the wind, that is the only thing keeping me from snatching up a set of these KBS 90's on eBay. I had a bad experience with my previous shaft that was high launching. I really want to try these but interested to hear more thoughts about them in the wind.

JN, seriously awesome update. Glad to hear these working for you as well ans awesome job on the personal best round.

Thanks guys. These shafts are indeed legit for me so far. And IN, I will play a round in a healthy wind whenever I get the opportunity.

Back