Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Good stuff SW, I have a good putting routine that I do every time, but I have no preshot routine on my full swing, and that should change. I will think about that tonight.

In just the 2 rounds I've started using a routine on full swings it has made a nice difference. Not necessary in terms of score but I feel much more aware over the ball. Meaning I have a better mental picture and I'm not thinking about my alignment being off or that water hazard to my right and the ob left because I've taken them out of my mind.

Aim small, miss small as my old shooting coach would say.

--
Tapatalk2

In just the 2 rounds I've started using a routine on full swings it has made a nice difference. Not necessary in terms of score but I feel much more aware over the ball. Meaning I have a better mental picture and I'm not thinking about my alignment being off or that water hazard to my right and the ob left because I've taken them out of my mind.

Aim small, miss small as my old shooting coach would say.

--
Tapatalk2
I love the aim small miss small statement, and I think I'm going to do the same routine I do with putting in my full swing.

I'm hoping that I can get myself out to the course tomorrow at some point for a round or at the very least a practice session because it does not look like sunday is going to be a very nice day and tomorrow is going to be beautiful.

I love the aim small miss small statement, and I think I'm going to do the same routine I do with putting in my full swing.

I'm hoping that I can get myself out to the course tomorrow at some point for a round or at the very least a practice session because it does not look like sunday is going to be a very nice day and tomorrow is going to be beautiful.

I wish we had your weather down here this weekend.

What is your putting routine, if you don't mind sharing secrets.

--
Tapatalk2

I wish we had your weather down here this weekend.

What is your putting routine, if you don't mind sharing secrets.

--
Tapatalk2
I don't mind at all.

I pick my line and then aim the alignment line on the ball. I then set up beside my ball, look at the mark on the green I have chosen at my target, turn my head back down, and make a practice stroke right away, then I move the 3 inches or so into the ball, take one look at my mark again, put my head down, and pull the trigger, the whole time all I'm keeping in my mind is the mark on the green that I've chosen as my aim point. I just try and keep that image in my head, and let my body react to the speed naturally.

Most of this I got out of Bob Rotella's Book "Putting out of your MInd"

Most of this I got out of Bob Rotella's book "

Spent some quality time at the short range area today after work with the Forged wedges and Metal X Rossie. I think my short game is really showing some promise as I continue to get used to these clubs and should be ready to go in 2 weeks.

Forged wedges- I worked on only 2 different kinds of shots but used each wedge to pull them off. I focused on the awkward 20 yard shot from just off the collar of the green and the tight 5 yd shot from just off the green to a tight pin that I can't play a bump and run with. These are the shots i tend to face the most which is where the wasted shots pile up

I found myself really liking the 48 and 52 for the 20 yard shots. The 52 had a good mix of height and roll out while the 48 was a perfect option for a shot needing more rollout. Especially when going uphill a bit. I really like how these wedges perform for these shots

On the 5yd shot I found the 52 and 56 to be the best options. There were times where the 56 would slide under the ball when the ball was sitting up a bit so this is where the 52 came in handy. When the ball was sitting down the 56 was perfect. I'm not the biggest fan of how these wedges feel for these 'delicate' shots. Almost wish there was a little more weight to them for these kind of shots actually.

Metal-X Rossie. I'm really liking how this performs all around. I'll touch more on it's performance in the Odyssey putters thread but my prep work with it consisted of a little game of around the world. There were 7 cups and I set up 5 balls at each cup 6' away and stayed at each cup until I made at all 5. The putting green is tilted and flat in some locations so I hit each cup going downhill and then came back to each cup on the uphill side. Some cups were easy and others I had to spend a little more time at. Overall it was good stuff and really like how the Rossie worked for me.

Definitely a good prep night all around.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Now thats great prep right there Hanks. Love all the short game work you are putting in as the short game as we all know is where almost all matches are won and lost.

Impressive practice session Hanks. I like that 6' drill, I think Hawk or someone mentioned that one as well. Seems like that would keep putting practice from getting stale.

Thanks breeze, I'll try and use some of that next time out.
--
Tapatalk2

Played in a 5 man scramble today and played very well. We finished 15 under but it was not good enough. I hit some long drives, some close wedge shots, and made a couple of long putts. I am excited to get out there tomorrow and see what kind of score I can put up playing my own ball all round.

So I drove an hour and a half to find a course that was open by the time I got there I could only play 9 holes.,..but dang it I got to play golf!!

Course was a cow pasture with flags in it and the greens were the size of and sloped like VW Beetles..LOL...but I was playing golf dammit!

Hit some really good drives and a couple of fantastic wedge shots....shot 7 over par...43

Man I hope my course is open tomorrow!

TBT that's crazy that you had to drive that far to get an open golf course. Reminds me of the stuff I do in winter, only I have to drive twice that far.

I played a pretty damn good round of golf tonight. 3 birdies, 1 double on my way to a 77 at a course that's a really fun course that I usually only play every once in a while, this was my 3rd time this year. I didn't shoot great on the front 9 which is much easier typically. Shot a 40 (+5) there but came home with an even par 37. My game from 70 and in was pretty on tonight and that has me pretty excited. If there's one area that I could improve on the most it's shots from 70 yards and in for sure. All 3 of my birdies came from great wedge shots to set it up, 1 shorter par 4 and 2 par 5's.

I won't play now until probably sometime next week, likely Wednesday but I'm hoping I'll get out between now and then, I'm really seeing a lot of benefit from playing so much lately...strange isn't it?

That's dedication Tim! Howzat 15 under and you didn't sniff a win? How big was the field?

Jake does what Jake does, mid 70's his opponet to death, it's maddening.

--
Tapatalk2

That's dedication Tim! Howzat 15 under and you didn't sniff a win? How big was the field?

--
Tapatalk2
That's the plan dude, I hope it holds up...but that's all part of the plan.

Good to hear Jake, What course did you play at? If it was this afternoon, I bet it was pretty hot out!

Are the J40 wedges still cash money money for you?

Good to hear Jake, What course did you play at? If it was this afternoon, I bet it was pretty hot out!

Are the J40 wedges still cash money money for you?
We played Spring Creek tonight. I totally forgot about you bach'in it this weekend....could have had you join us, sorry buddy!

The J40 wedges are in fact still money in the bank. They're like cheating I swear.

That's the plan dude, I hope it holds up...but that's all part of the plan.

I had an old as dirt supervisor once who preached plans.

Make a plan. Work your plan. Come home a winner Danny.

--
Tapatalk2

Jake buddy you are killing it right now!

I had an old as dirt supervisor once who preached plans.

Make a plan. Work your plan. Come home a winner Danny.

--
Tapatalk2
Sounds like a smart old dude to me. I firmly believe in having a plan when you go into an event like the MC. I've got a plan....and I'm about to use it. Wassup with the bootleg music? Oh wait....a little Swap Meet Louie side track there.

Nah really though, gotta have a plan and I plan to play the way I've been playing and plan not to get too excited (good or bad) and just let the golf do the work. We'll see how it goes.

We played Spring Creek tonight. I totally forgot about you bach'in it this weekend....could have had you join us, sorry buddy!

The J40 wedges are in fact still money in the bank. They're like cheating I swear.

No worries my man, glad you were able to produce!

Jake buddy you are killing it right now!
Thanks bro. It's been a weird season. If you asked me 6 weeks ago to assess my season to date I would have said it was probably a poor season so far. I hadn't played real well and hadn't played that much...the driving range was killing me and I was sort of just going through the motions. I decided "eff it" I'm going to play through it and get it back on track and that is exactly what I've done. Now I'd say I'm playing as well as I ever have. Confidence levels are very high for sure.

Thanks bro. It's been a weird season. If you asked me 6 weeks ago to assess my season to date I would have said it was probably a poor season so far. I hadn't played real well and hadn't played that much...the driving range was killing me and I was sort of just going through the motions. I decided "eff it" I'm going to play through it and get it back on track and that is exactly what I've done. Now I'd say I'm playing as well as I ever have. Confidence levels are very high for sure.
And thats the part thats the hardest to get and you've got it now! When you just know you're going to hit the ball well, more often than not you do.

And thats the part thats the hardest to get and you've got it now! When you just know you're going to hit the ball well, more often than not you do.
I know, it's like I needed some good shots to get some confidence...but I needed confidence to pull off some good shots. Sort of a catch 22 there. Now I've got it going in the right direction, I'm starting to score too, the 3 birdies tonight felt great because while the scores were getting better I still hadn't made a lot of birdies. If that damn double bogey wasn't there I could have tied my career best. I did improve on my career best on this course though, that was nice.

I like hearing that Jake is coming into form at the right time. Good for you, brother.

I am headed to the range this morning to keep tuned up. It's been raining so much here that it's been virtually impossible to get outside.

SW and I have another round planned for tomorrow. I like the prep work he and I have been putting in. He's a great playing partner and a lot of fun to be around.

Heading up the club for a cash game with a bunch of the MGA guys. Course management is the theme of the day.

--
Tapatalk2

18 under got it done. I think there were about 60 teams out there. I really need to have the scramble mind set more often and really go after some shots.

I'm going to try to make it to the range today to hit drivers and wedges. Probably a stop to the putting green afterwards. Playing tomorrow.

Back