Frank, mind asking where you went and if you bought anything?

Very cool, I like that.

I bought my bike from Cycling Spoken Here in Cary. Went there a couple of times first before I pulled the trigger. The people at all star bikes were great as well. I also went to the bicycle chain. I went and compared brands at all of them. All fit me in the similar size bike. Some offer different warranties and maintenance.

I bought my bike from Cycling Spoken Here in Cary. Went there a couple of times first before I pulled the trigger. The people at all star bikes were great as well. I also went to the bicycle chain. I went and compared brands at all of them. All fit me in the similar size bike. Some offer different warranties and maintenance.

Cool, thanks bud. I'll start doing a little research and check those out when I get home.

I picked up some great jerseys for cheap off EBay back when I was riding all the time. Some crazy graphics and a couple of replica team jerseys, all in really good condition.

I was hoping you'd pop in WE... Great you don't charge for fittings. Even if its just a fitting, no bike sale?
Even if it's just a fitting and there is no sale, there is still no charge.

Being fit to a bike, whether its proper saddle, seat height, etc is important, especially if you are looking at long distances. It's interesting when we go on a long ride and one of the guys from the shop stops someone before we leave and makes a few adjustments here or there, then after the ride they realize how much of a positive difference the slightest adjustment makes.

I need some wrenches. I bumped my brake putting my front tire back on and it was rubbing on my last ride. Annoying. Had to adjust it by hand.

Your shop and crew are a dream come true War Eagle ;)

Even if it's just a fitting and there is no sale, there is still no charge.

Being fit to a bike, whether its proper saddle, seat height, etc is important, especially if you are looking at long distances. It's interesting when we go on a long ride and one of the guys from the shop stops someone before we leave and makes a few adjustments here or there, then after the ride they realize how much of a positive difference the slightest adjustment makes.

That's awesome. The shop I bought mine from fit mine for free after I had ridden it for a few weeks. The owner of the shop does all their fittings and once I got onto my bike while it was in the trainer, she looked at it and said, "Ummm...you don't need any adjustments. Let's rotate the bars up about 1/4 of an inch. There we go, that should take the numbness out of your hands". That was all I needed on my Giant. If I just brought in a bike and needed the fitting, it would have cost me $150. I also get free maintenance for the first 6 months. Anything after that I have to pay for, but I haven't needed any yet, after I figured out the shifting of my front derailleur.

WE - I am kind of surprised that given you are at a shop you still shop for gear online. Is that because of the prices, or just that your shop doesn't carry what you like for apparel?

That's awesome. The shop I bought mine from fit mine for free after I had ridden it for a few weeks. The owner of the shop does all their fittings and once I got onto my bike while it was in the trainer, she looked at it and said, "Ummm...you don't need any adjustments. Let's rotate the bars up about 1/4 of an inch. There we go, that should take the numbness out of your hands". That was all I needed on my Giant. If I just brought in a bike and needed the fitting, it would have cost me $150. I also get free maintenance for the first 6 months. Anything after that I have to pay for, but I haven't needed any yet, after I figured out the shifting of my front derailleur.

WE - I am kind of surprised that given you are at a shop you still shop for gear online. Is that because of the prices, or just that your shop doesn't carry what you like for apparel?
My wife's family owns 2 local Cycling Shops. While I do a lot for the two stores, I am not there on a daily basis, nor is it my full time job. We carry a good bit of apparel, and I get most of what I have from our shops. However, there are certain brands/styles we do not carry, so for that, I look for good prices online.

Drop a name WE... Name the shop :) you could corner the THP cycling bidness in your town.

Or perhaps that is poor form on my part... Tell us if you want. I lost my head there for a sec.

Drop a name WE... Name the shop :) you could corner the THP cycling bidness in your town.

Or perhaps that is poor form on my part... Tell us if you want. I lost my head there for a sec.
Haha, no problem spazz. Village Bikes, in Sarasota, FL and Lakewood Ranch, FL.

If I was in your neck of the woods, I'd peddle my out of shape but right on over :)

As would I. Nothing like finding the right shop with the right kind of people. Of the shops that I was checking out at the beginning of the year when I got my bike, there were only 2 shops where I liked the people. That's how I decided on which brands to look at. It was down to Specialized, Giant and Orbea. I didn't mind the Trek that I tried, but I did not like the guys in the shop at all. Arrogant. The other two shops I went to spent all sorts of time with me even though I told them up front that it was going to be a few months before I bought anything. Since it had been so long since I had ridden, they took the time to go over what my options were based on my price range and what I was going to be doing. It was perfect. I landed on my Giant based on the price, the ride and the location. The shop is less than a mile from me. While I would have liked a slightly more aggressive bike, I went with the entry level Defy just so I could get my body used to riding again. I figure that in 2 or 3 years I will upgrade, at which point I will address my options again. Hopefully by then I will be able to afford to look at some of the other shops that didn't carry anything even remotely close to my price range.

Another 75 mile ride on tap for tomorrow morning! Riding a Specialized Tarmac SL4! Cant wait to see how this one rides!

Another 75 mile ride on tap for tomorrow morning! Riding a Specialized Tarmac SL4! Cant wait to see how this one rides!

Nice dude. Bring your Camel Pak.

Have a great ride WE!

Went on a 34 mile ride after work today up Longboat key and back with a group from the shop. I had planned on riding a small route today and only do 15 miles just for a quick ride, but caught up with a group I knew and decided to go longer. Nothing like thinking you would have an easy, quick ride and then about 2 miles in decide to double the distance!

Went on a 34 mile ride after work today up Longboat key and back with a group from the shop. I had planned on riding a small route today and only do 15 miles just for a quick ride, but caught up with a group I knew and decided to go longer. Nothing like thinking you would have an easy, quick ride and then about 2 miles in decide to double the distance!

That's a long ways dude (like Dallas to Fort Worth long), how long that take?

That's a long ways dude (like Dallas to Fort Worth long), how long that take?
34 miles tonight took us about an hour and half.

Not too shabby WE... Hey, I forgot to ask; are you training for anything in particular or just riding.

Not too shabby WE... Hey, I forgot to ask; are you training for anything in particular or just riding.
I started working hard at the beginning of the year to complete a Century ride, and I am still working on that. I have completed a 100 mile ride (a few weeks back), but it was just a casual ride with a group.

However, what I am training for is a ride called "Cycle of Life" and is in support of one of the guys who has worked in our shop for years that is a Cancer survivor. The Cycle of Life is 200 miles in 2-days. We ride a century, stay overnight and then ride back. I have helped support this in the past, but have never riden it. It's this October, and I have a lot of work to do to meet my goal!

Here's a link to the website; http://www.teamtony.org/

I started working hard at the beginning of the year to complete a Century ride, and I am still working on that. I have completed a 100 mile ride (a few weeks back), but it was just a casual ride with a group.

However, what I am training for is a ride called "Cycle of Life" and is in support of one of the guys who has worked in our shop for years that is a Cancer survivor. The Cycle of Life is 200 miles in 2-days. We ride a century, stay overnight and then ride back. I have helped support this in the past, but have never riden it. It's this October, and I have a lot of work to do to meet my goal!

Here's a link to the website; http://www.teamtony.org/

That's awesome WE. Great cause and that sounds like a sweet ride. I wanted to do the Seattle-to-Portland ride this year, also for a good cause, and 180 miles. A lot of people do it in 1-day but I would camp and do it in two.

I hope you meet your goals and do that ride! I unfortunately got sidetracked by work and completely fell off my training. Meanwhile, a friend of mine just completed his first 400k this past weekend...which in my opinion, is INSANE. I know there are a lot of people that ride longer distances than that, but 250 miles straight? Without sleeping? I don't think that will ever be for me, hahah.

That's awesome WE. Great cause and that sounds like a sweet ride. I wanted to do the Seattle-to-Portland ride this year, also for a good cause, and 180 miles. A lot of people do it in 1-day but I would camp and do it in two.

I hope you meet your goals and do that ride! I unfortunately got sidetracked by work and completely fell off my training. Meanwhile, a friend of mine just completed his first 400k this past weekend...which in my opinion, is INSANE. I know there are a lot of people that ride longer distances than that, but 250 miles straight? Without sleeping? I don't think that will ever be for me, hahah.
Thanks Reki, I am working hard on it. I am not your typical "cyclist", by any means...not exactly a small guy. I played football my entire life, and dont exactly fit the frame that a lot of the guys/gals I ride with do. I have had some very tough days on the bike, but it is making me work harder each time I ride. I rode this past weekend with a guy and his wife who do the Race Across America...10 days, 3k miles?? Absolutely crazy!

As far as the Cycle of Life goes, it is a great cause. The guy who it is for rode with us tonight, but due to his past medical challenges he rides on a tandem (absolutely awesome custom Cannondale that he has though!). I really hope I can get in shape for this ride, but no matter what I will give it my best!

That sounds awesome WE. Good luck with that training. I'm waiting for the humidity to die down around here, and then I'm going to start ramping up my miles as much as I can(can't get out but once a week right now), just so that come next spring, I have something to take with me to start the season. My goal is to ride the long ride, 62 miles, for the Tour de Cure here next year. Keep us updated on the training. And, as for 34 miles after intending to do 15, umm, ow. At least it was with guys you know so it wasn't like you were out alone and just said "What the hell..." I would love to be able to ride after work like that. Unfortunately, I get home from work, and have about 10 minutes before the wife heads off to work and leaves me with the little ones. Now way they are riding more than 1/2 mile with me before they are done.

Back