Nice Course, walk or ride ?

I like to walk with my pushcart. Feel like I can take in the course better. However, I do tend to ride more often than walk.

I would love to walk. I'd love to be able to have the time to decide what I'm going to do on my next shot. Course management. But, alas, I have a new knee and I haven't been able to walk a complete 18. So, I always ride now.

ride or die.....im 3-4 strokes better than when I walk

depends. if there are caddies available i'll get a caddie and walk...if a course unfamiliar or the guys i'm with are riding in carts...i'll ride. i walked Baltusrol, but rode when i played TPC Jasna Polana

I'd say ride, but that's usually because if it's a newer nice course, I'm usually there for an event, and if the cart is available I'm going to use it!!!

I enjoy walking a majority of the time, not only for the exercise, but as others have mentioned I feel as though I think more about my next shot rather than just flying up to the ball and swinging away. I also feel as though I take a little more time to appreciate and enjoy my surroundings.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I have been playing a loooooooooong time (since 1972) and have grown up with walking. Yes there have been times when I have had a cart, especially when my best mate has a bout of gout. He just can not walk when that happens so he has a cart. I will however, still walk most of the course and let him take the clubs.

There is no correct method of getting round the course. It all depends on the player.

Just that I prefer to walk, and with the pace of play at my course this summer where 5 hour rounds are VERY common, tbh I could crawl on all fours and still not hold anyone up.

I would love to walk and did when I was younger, but now I ride because or back issues and the courses put so much emphasis on speed of play. Most of the courses require a cart during premium times so it becomes a non issue at those times.

Ride if at all possible for me, especially if there is much slope to the course. Walked the front 9 at Hawks nice course a couple months ago and about killed me, lol. I think Jrod set the pace with those long legs of his.

Ride if it's affordable, but I don't mind walking unless it's very hilly or there's long walks between holes

I walk wherever I play unless:

A) 95+ out
B) A lot of elevation changes

I use to walk a lot, but nowadays I prefer to ride.

I love to ride but since I have been playing more lately and with my weight loss, my surgeon has said that maybe I could walk some for my exercise. I will have to talk the wife into going with me and let me start off walking a few holes and then as I get used to walking the course add some more holes along way. Maybe I can make it up to 18 before long!

Screw walking... I'm Taking a cart.

I always walk unless the course doesn't let you. Having to pay 20 bucks for my share on the cart drives me nuts and if the wife and I play sixty bucks each for golf plus another 40 for both to share a cart It's a rip off and adds up fast

Not being a smartarse, but why not walk and get back in shape. At least it won't be boring and you get some exercise
Disease of the spine has progressed to a point I have no lordosis so walking is out of the question. Compression becomes an issue.

Almost always ride unless I'm playing 9 by myself after work or something then I walk with the clicgear.

I usually will walk if the temp is under 80-85 degrees. Spent most of this summer riding a cart though (think I've only walked 2 rounds this year).

As a rule unless it's a course with large gaps between holes or it's 100 at tee off time I'm walking. I can visualize and appreciate the course otherwise I feel like I'm on a train blowing by the course and making random stops along the way.

Like many, I prefer to walk all the time. You don't play any slower than riding, unless there is huge distance gap between holes. Walking allows me to get in the better tempo. When I have to step on the peddle to get to the next shot, I always feel rushed for some reason. Also, if I hit my ball to the way right, my riding partner hits the ball on the opposite end, it just not good riding carts anyways.

Anyhow, if the nice course allows me to walk, I walk.

I unfortunately have no choice but to ride, so that is what I would do. Physical limitations suck, but they suck harder if you ignore them.

I used to ride all the time, but since I started walking this year I've started to drop weight, which I could use, and it also let's me prepare for my shot instead of driving and being there before I have had ample time to think through my shot. I will however ride on courses with lots of elevation change(rare in Illinois), or if it's over 90(quite common this summer, but I've been living in the Pac NW for the summer, so walking has been manageable.

Dan

Last edited:
I walk all the time when I am by myself unless the course requires a cart. I find walking the course to be very relaxing. The only times I take a cart are when I am with my father who occasionally wants a cart.

Back