2012 Srixon Golf Ball Lineup

Hey guys, posted this in the other Cleveland/Srixon thread but wanted to share:

Tried the Z Star today. Very interesting ball to say the least. First impression - very durable!! Played 18 with 1 ball and the ball looked great after the round! No nicks, no cuts and just some slight wear. Impressive.

The ball was harder than what I was expecting. Just a solid feel to it. Took about 9 holes to get use to it but then never noticed it and got use to it very quickly. No loss of distance off the tee. The greens that I did hit today the divot mark was right by the ball on short shots.

Liked the ball around the greens. Could really feel the ball off the wedges around the greens. But I think the solid feeling of the ball took some getting use to on the greens. I left 4 putts just short of the hole that were going in. I was off just a bit with the speed. That will change.

Overall, really had fun playing this ball. Looking forward to playing it again soon!

Hey guys, posted this in the other Cleveland/Srixon thread but wanted to share:

Tried the Z Star today. Very interesting ball to say the least. First impression - very durable!! Played 18 with 1 ball and the ball looked great after the round! No nicks, no cuts and just some slight wear. Impressive.

The ball was harder than what I was expecting. Just a solid feel to it. Took about 9 holes to get use to it but then never noticed it and got use to it very quickly. No loss of distance off the tee. The greens that I did hit today the divot mark was right by the ball on short shots.

Liked the ball around the greens. Could really feel the ball off the wedges around the greens. But I think the solid feeling of the ball took some getting use to on the greens. I left 4 putts just short of the hole that were going in. I was off just a bit with the speed. That will change.

Overall, really had fun playing this ball. Looking forward to playing it again soon!

Nice, Nate! I haven't played the Z Star, however I have played the Q star and found it to be pretty durable as well. Srixon has a great ball lineup this year.

Nice, Nate! I haven't played the Z Star, however I have played the Q star and found it to be pretty durable as well. Srixon has a great ball lineup this year.

It was a really pleasant surprise. I want to try the XV next.

Nate, I responded in the other thread too, but I am not surprised by your findings one bit. Jersey Nate, I too game the Q but have played the Z too. The Z was a little more spinny for me off the tee and I was battling some issues so I chose the Q for TMC. Both are great balls IMO.

FYI, buy a dozen Q-Star get a free Srixon hat, black, blue, yellow, or white.

--
Tapatalk2

used the Z star in my scramble today although i think the ball performs well i wasn't impressed with the durability of it it keeps getting little chips of the cover that come up and it really is disappointing. i have the same issues with the Qstars but i expect that from a cheaper ball when i spend $45 a dozen id expect a little more durability. looks like ill be sticking with my Bridgestone for my premium ball and prob q stars for my messing around ball.

It was a really pleasant surprise. I want to try the XV next.

Nate, if you found the Z Star to feel "solid" or "hard", the XV will feel a little firmer than the Z Star. I've adjusted to it over the past couple of months and don't mind it at all right now. The Pentas that I played last year were softer in feel (though the Z Star was close), didn't you also play the Pentas before trying the Z Star?

I will say that with the Z Star XV, the short game spin is a slight bit less than the Z Star, but on full shots, I've had no trouble holding greens, even with my 5 iron. I doubt that our greens up here are as firm as the ones in Texas right now, but the spin is good for my game even with the XV ball. It's my first time really playing a "lower spin" tour level ball, so I've been pleasantly surprised.

def. agree with what Ary said.
i had played a Penta at times, but mainly been playing the Pro V1. switching to the Z-Star and testing the XV as well was a difficult switch at first. the first time i hit both balls with the driver and an iron, they both felt super solid and i thought..."oh no."
now...i notice little difference in feel between those 2. it's more reaction and flight control differences...

The Q-Star is just a good solid ball. To me, it has a little of everything.

To bad Ping dosen't make balls. I'm sure they'd be your favorite ;)

I should give the Q star anothe try. I really like the gamer V2.

Ary/tnolan....I did play with the pentas and the Bridgestone B330 tours. They do seem harder than those 2 but I'm getting the same spin/bite as those 2 balls.

Played the Z Star again and it felt good. Didn't notice the harder feeling for the 2nd time but still getting use to the spin around the greens. Just a little less spin than the other balls I've played. I get some bite on approach shots but on chip shots they tend to roll out a bit more. Just need to adjust.

Overall, still like the ball and look forward to hitting it again.

Ary/tnolan....I did play with the pentas and the Bridgestone B330 tours. They do seem harder than those 2 but I'm getting the same spin/bite as those 2 balls.

I got some vital info this weekend from a source that will remain unnamed, and let's just say I will not be playing the Penta ever again.
I've still got a little less than 2 dozen Srixon Z-Stars left from the MC2 and boy I'm glad that I do, because they'll be in play for the rest of the season.

Also...MC2 practice round on Thursday at True Blue:
First 9, ProV1 = +6 Second 9, Srixon Z-Star = -2

I got some vital info this weekend from a source that will remain unnamed, and let's just say I will not be playing the Penta ever again.
I've still got a little less than 2 dozen Srixon Z-Stars left from the MC2 and boy I'm glad that I do, because they'll be in play for the rest of the season.

Nice Tnolan! Glad you found a ball that you like

Also...MC2 practice round on Thursday at True Blue:
First 9, ProV1 = +6 Second 9, Srixon Z-Star = -2

I hear that dude. I love that ball. For the way I play the game it seems to work very well. If I'm playing urethane, it's going to be Tour Yellow.

At the end of Keegan's win today he said in the last week the new Srixon Z-Star really improved his game. So i went on the site to see what model he used if it was the ZStar, XV or SL and i got reading this article he is using the Stixon Z-Star "Prototype" Is this for the 2013 balls or are they coming up with a new model soon? I was just curious thought it was a good question - Thanks

http://blog.srixon.com/?p=663

There are quite few "tour" srixon balls out there. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a ball they made for some of their staffers. Then again it might be something coming down the pipe next year.

--
Tapatalk2

Yep, it's the ZStar for 2013.

I'm interested to hear about what's coming down the line. The 2012 ball was a real good one and I like that they went the route of adding a lower swing speed ball as well.

Saw this in my email just a few minutes ago...
resizer.php

Played the yellow XV all week at Pinehurst. Played the same 2 balls thru #4,#3,#2 and #8 (in that order).

I lost the first ball on my last 9 on #8...I think it was hole 14. But 2 balls in 72 holes and still have 1 left. Love the XV durability.

That's what I'm hoping for, it was such a decent price I couldn't pass up trying a dozen.

Bad part is they were out of the free hats and didn't offer to get me another one. Too bad I was hoping to add a Srixon hat to the mix!

Wow Min, if that doesn't speak to durabilty I don't know what does.

Off topic, but how does #2 look after the restoration?

--
Tapatalk2

Back