2012 Ryder Cup - Medinah Country Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh that's right, I forgot they were still accumulating points.

is Petterson DQ'd because he became an American citizen?

Pettersen could still be a pick but they said he has no chance because he has basically abandoned Europe for the US.

I actually think he said this year that he was making himself ineligible because of family reasons. He didn't want to go to Europe and earn points to be apart of the Ryder Cup team, so he said screw it, I'm not gonna be on the team. At least, I think I read this somewhere,

He is not eligible for the US team in any event. He is not eligible for the Euro team on points, but not sure if he can be eligible as a captain's pick. This issue also arose when he came into form in 2008.

EDIT: Saw articles that says he cannot compete for europe.

Petterson isn't a member of the European Tour, so I've heard that he's not eligible for a pick. I don't know how that all works, but that's what I saw on Golf Channel during the week of the PGA.

Here's one other thing: I think that Olazabal has a much bigger issue than his 2 captain's picks. He needs Westwood and Kaymer to find their games. You can't have 2 of the stronger players on your team lay an egg and hope to win the Ryder Cup.

Lee will be fine. He fires up for these things.

Oh, and Colsaerts will make the team b/c DL3 is going to not narrow the fairways and make this course cater to bombers.

Hmm I am deaf so maybe I misheard but I could have sworn they said he was eligible.

They could give him a special membership to the European PGA Tour, and then he could be a captain's pick. It happened with someone else a few years back, I believe. I heard them talking about the possibility of doing it earlier this week, though it still seems unlikely.

Skipped off the pond using Tapatalk

Interesting Tweet regarding today's play at Wyndham:
@PaulAzinger Who would you least like to see qualify for Euro Ryder Cup team? Sergio or Kaymer? Sergio finishes 3rd or better today knocks Kaymer off

My answer: As a golf fan, I wanna see Sergio make it. As an American fan, I'd rather see Kaymer on their team.

Interesting Tweet regarding today's play at Wyndham:
@PaulAzinger Who would you least like to see qualify for Euro Ryder Cup team? Sergio or Kaymer? Sergio finishes 3rd or better today knocks Kaymer off

My answer: As a golf fan, I wanna see Sergio make it. As an American fan, I'd rather see Kaymer on their team.

Agreed with this. I think the Euros would be better off with Sergio than Kaymer.

Does anyone think that the American team has a realistic chance of winning this year? I think they are going to get clobbered.

It's gonna be close, but on home soil I'd actually make the US team slight favourites.
As for Sergio, his attitude at the minute stinks. By that, I mean his negative attitude. I suppose it's hard to have that amount of talent without a major to your name, but even so, he needs to snap out of the negativity. That said, he gets so pumped up for the Ryder cup it wouod be madness to have left him out had he not qualified. I'm certainly pleased to see him in.
And as said previously, if you aren't a member of the European tour, you aren't eligible to play even as a pick. I certainly wouldn't want to see Petterson competing for us!
My 2 picks would be Poulter and Harrington.

Tapped via tapatalk

I agree, Poults has to get a pick, he's a superb matchplay competitor - probably our best. The 2nd pick is a tricky one though, there are a bunch of prospects - might even be worth going for a rookie who's currently on form - Marcel Siem, David Lynn or Jamie Donaldson...

..and given that he's not going to get a spot, probably MAJ for 4th vice captain. Wouldn't be a Ryder Cup without him puffing away somewhere on the course...

What do you all see as good pairings on both teams, ie. TW&SS, bubba&fowler or Bradley&Lefty. Maybe Rors&Donald or sergio&westwood. Thoughts?

What do you all see as good pairings on both teams, ie. TW&SS, bubba&fowler or Bradley&Lefty. Maybe Rors&Donald or sergio&westwood. Thoughts?

I think a lot depends on who are friendly socially - pals have got to play better together surely?

Wow - I've just tried some pairing combos, and I just realised how tricky it is!! I don't think I'll apply for the 2014 Captain job after all...

You think Fowler makes the team?

I agree, Poults has to get a pick, he's a superb matchplay competitor - probably our best. The 2nd pick is a tricky one though, there are a bunch of prospects - might even be worth going for a rookie who's currently on form - Marcel Siem, David Lynn or Jamie Donaldson.../QUOTE]

Jamie Donaldson is an excellent shout. I'd even put Simon Dyson in the mix, if it was a home match. Being in the States I went for Harrington choosing his experience over his form.
Pairings for Europe, Rose and Poults if he gets picked, Sergio and Donald are a good successful past pairing. I'd keep Westwood and McIlroy apart. Some of Westwoods previous comments have come across as he maybe isn't Rory's biggest fan.
On the US side, it's always interesting to see how Tiger will play with any prospective partner.

Tapped via tapatalk

So excited for this to be honest. Europe and USA both have really strong teams and it will be interesting to see them fight it out at Medinah, which I'm sure will be a great host for it. Only a month or so left!

If they don't pick Colsaerts I'm not watching this.

I suppose you're right, but let's just hope.

Colsaerts will be on the team Jrod. Old Paddy might be playing his way on to it. He should be on it as well. If I were the Euro Captain, I'd pick Colsaerts, Paddy, IJP, & Freddie Jacobsen. Jacobsen can flat out putt. He's also proven that he can handle the stage. I also think the Euro's win this one quite easily. I don't think DL3 is going to be a good Captain. I think too much of him thinks he could play in it.

Colsaerts will be on the team Jrod. Old Paddy might be playing his way on to it. He should be on it as well. If I were the Euro Captain, I'd pick Colsaerts, Paddy, IJP, & Freddie Jacobsen. Jacobsen can flat out putt. He's also proven that he can handle the stage. I also think the Euro's win this one quite easily. I don't think DL3 is going to be a good Captain. I think too much of him thinks he could play in it.

I agree the Mericans are gonna get smoked.

The big hitting Belgian would fit lovely on to a European team, a long straight hitter is never too bad to have against USA.

I agree the Mericans are gonna get smoked.

I don't know about smoked, but they'll get beat. The US pairings are almost too predictable. And poor old Keegan will be worn out trying to carry Phil around for a day or two.

The big hitting Belgian would fit lovely on to a European team, a long straight hitter is never too bad to have against USA.

Like I said, DL3 has said he's setting the course up to cater to length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back