Ping Anser Adjustable Driver Preview

I took the Anser out to the range yesterday and I realized, after about 5-10 fairly disappointing balls, that I'm an idiot.

When I went hunting down the perfect loft/shaft combo I had settled on the 10.5* set to 10*. The big deal about the 10 is that other than a couple hundred RPM's of spin I really had confidence to go after the ball without turning it over into the left side rough due to the face just a slight bit open. Not so much true effect of .5* open but more so just a nice mental comfort blanket. Think positive thoughts, hit positive shots. Short story is that I'd asked the guy at the big box store who regripped my club I bought to set it to -.5* before putting on the grip. He failed and I never thought to check.

Another thing that had brought my numbers down a little more into the "disappointing" realm was that, for whatever reason, I have been teeing the ball way lower than I normally do. Back to like I did back in the day of my 910D2. Teeing the ball so low has been knocking my distance down a bit.

Glad to see that I'm starting to get to see some of what I bought this club for in the first place. Maybe I won't keep the i20 over it.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

I took the Anser out to the range yesterday and I realized, after about 5-10 fairly disappointing balls, that I'm an idiot.

When I went hunting down the perfect loft/shaft combo I had settled on the 10.5* set to 10*. The big deal about the 10 is that other than a couple hundred RPM's of spin I really had confidence to go after the ball without turning it over into the left side rough due to the face just a slight bit open. Not so much true effect of .5* open but more so just a nice mental comfort blanket. Think positive thoughts, hit positive shots. Short story is that I'd asked the guy at the big box store who regripped my club I bought to set it to -.5* before putting on the grip. He failed and I never thought to check.

Another thing that had brought my numbers down a little more into the "disappointing" realm was that, for whatever reason, I have been teeing the ball way lower than I normally do. Back to like I did back in the day of my 910D2. Teeing the ball so low has been knocking my distance down a bit.

Glad to see that I'm starting to get to see some of what I bought this club for in the first place. Maybe I won't keep the i20 over it.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

So did these "fixes" help you and the Anser results wise or STBD?

Colt, 3w as well?

So did these "fixes" help you and the Anser results wise or STBD?

Yes. Quite noticeably actually. Bit more distance and able to actually really go after it now w/ the open setting and the ball away from the ground.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Colt, 3w as well?

I've loved the 3w from first swing. I traded in my i20 3w for the Anser because I got very identical distance and flight from the 2 but the Anser has a lot more face on it from heel to toe. More forgiving means I get that max distance more often , which= winner.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

I've loved the 3w from first swing. I traded in my i20 3w for the Anser because I got very identical distance and flight from the 2 but the Anser has a lot more face on it from heel to toe. More forgiving means I get that max distance more often , which= winner.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Going to have to see if I can't get a demo from the fitting cart then.

I finally got a chance to put some swings on this driver. I can confindently say that this is my favorite driver from Ping. I like the G10, a lot and I thought the G15 was even better. But the Anser is probably my favorite up to this point. I really liked how forgiving it was.

Ping Anser 9.5 w/ Ahina stiff v. Cobra Amp 9.5 w/ Aldila Speed Tuned Rip 55 Stiff

I played the Anser for the first 9 holes today and then the Amp. The shafts make these just two completely different drivers and I have to say that I really like both. I'm used to a different feeling shaft, more like the Amp, but the Ahina did not disappoint and I was seeing some pretty good distances for myself, safely in that 240 range. Maybe 1 or 2 a slight bit farther but I was really happy overall . The first couple were probably a bit low, launch angle wise but once I got comfortable I saw some better ball flight. The feel is completely different for me and the sound is low pitched "tink." I am definitely gonna try adjusting up to 10* and see what changes I see. It's just overall stouter than the AMP is overall.

I still have to give the AMP very high marks. The color is growing on me and it's fun to swing. Seeing a slightly higher flight and some similar distances. It's definitely more of what I'm used to, as far as drivers.

Someone asked for some comparison pics between the two.

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

Nice pics Frank. Is the Cobra roughly a 1/2" longer? Homerism aside, If you had to pick one for a serious round tomorrow, which one are you currently getting along with better or seeing better results with overall?

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Glad you figured out the issue, funny how something as tiny as that had such an impact on the results you were seeing.

Nice pics Frank. Is the Cobra roughly a 1/2" longer? Homerism aside, If you had to pick one for a serious round tomorrow, which one are you currently getting along with better or seeing better results with overall?

With a good swing on both it feels like I hit the ball harder with the AMP but I'm getting similar actual results. Honestly I could do either and be really happy.

With a good swing on both it feels like I hit the ball harder with the AMP but I'm getting similar actual results. Honestly I could do either and be really happy.

Can't complain about that. I am looking forward to hitting both of these at the Tour Van stop.

Well, that does it fellas. One Kusala Black in one Ping Anser. One...sessy...stick!

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Not so fast. It's still a possible keeper. Plus it's sexy. That makes it an instantaneous shoe end for hoardability.

Tapping till 12-21-2012
Oh and don't forget that lovely headcover. :D

Thought some might enjoy some club p0rn... no making fun of my beat up old apartment walls/carpet. It's all you can get in Waikiki for $1,900 a month. :(

18a53a9a-b82f-d44f.jpg

18a53a9a-b842-3ef2.jpg

18a53a9a-b851-6198.jpg

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Thought some might enjoy some club p0rn... no making fun of my beat up old apartment walls/carpet. It's all you can get in Waikiki for $1,900 a month. :(

18a53a9a-b82f-d44f.jpg

18a53a9a-b842-3ef2.jpg

18a53a9a-b851-6198.jpg

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Oh that's purdy! It looks as though it just gives you confidence when you stand over the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

18a53a9a-b82f-d44f.jpg

18a53a9a-b842-3ef2.jpg

18a53a9a-b851-6198.jpg

Tapping till 12-21-2012

oh damn......that is one sexy looking driver there!!! I wanna swing it!!....I am not normally a Ping Driver fan...but man that looks good

Oh that's purdy! It looks as though it just gives you confidence when you stand over the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

oh damn......that is one sexy looking driver there!!! I wanna swing it!!....I am not normally a Ping Driver fan...but man that looks good

Thanks guys. I'm dying to swing it but I gotta let it cure overnight. Definite range session going down tomorrow though.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Thanks guys. I'm dying to swing it but I gotta let it cure overnight. Definite range session going down tomorrow though.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Little question dude, did you pull the original shaft from the sleeve or did you somehow come up on a new sleeve?

Little question dude, did you pull the original shaft from the sleeve or did you somehow come up on a new sleeve?

Pulled it. Thankfully PING uses an aluminum hosel/tip so no worries of melting the adapter.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

just picked up my new 12 * Anser driver and 3W and i love them, the driver has the same feel of my old i20, but launches higher due to the higher loft . I had to get rid of my i20 as it launched too low for me and put me in trouble in some holes. The 3w is also super easy to get up in the air as well. I cant wait to get them onto the course.

Looks sick Colt. I'm going to PM you my address and you can ship that I20 over to the Atlantic ocean now

Hey Frank how far did that heel shot go with the Amp?

Nice thoughts bluegold.......I don't know why but thought you might not like this driver. Good to know!

Great pics Frank and Colt. I started thinking about it while looking at your pictures but I remember thinking to myself as I hit the Anser driver how great the ball looked in front of the black painted beast. I dont' know if it's the tint of the black or the shade but I just loved how the driver head looked behind the ball. And this is coming from a guy that has liked the white driver! I know there are other black drivers but it was just something about this one that stood out to me.

Back