I don't walk off, but sometimes I just stop keeping score. A month ago I was playing like crap off the tee, penalty shots galore, so I told my foursome to finish that hole, I picked up, went to the next tee. I hit a few balls to figure out what was wrong, and when my group got to the tee I played 3W for a few holes. Made me feel better and I finished with some serviceable tee shots.

No matter how bad I'm playing, I focus on etiquette and continuing conversation with the rest of the group, particularly complimenting their good shots or good round. I don't want my poor round to spoil their enjoyment. Even if my playing sucks, there's no reason to be bad company.

I also have never walked off the course but there have been times where I would also just stop keeping score. Generally helps me calm down cause I'm less worried about numbers and just trying to make good contact even if it only goes 50 yards at a time lol.

One of my golf buddies stopped on the second hole one day. In two holes he lost 4 ProV1's and said that is enough. There were three of us so he put the other guys bag on my cart and then left.

In a three week span I had a 40, a 41, and a 44. I have since then carded a 47, (2) 48, (2) 49, 50, and a 52 (not in that order). I could easily pack it in because I am struggling. But again, quitting is for quitters.

Too slow, too hot, too drunk, too sober, poor play, too cold, mind on something else, paired with weirdos, wife or kid gets tired. There are a lot of reasons to quit.

It's just a round of golf for God's sake. Sometimes a guy gets out there and realizes this sucks. I'd never walk away from a competitive round, but sometimes it's just not worth it. Quit once in a while. Get home early. Surprise your wife.

Kevin

I have never quit mid round, though I have thought about it a handful of times. I did quit once with four holes remaining, mostly because I was physically exhausted, was playing really bad, just wasn't having any fun.

Too slow, too hot, too drunk, too sober, poor play, too cold, mind on something else, paired with weirdos, wife or kid gets tired. There are a lot of reasons to quit.

It's just a round of golf for God's sake. Sometimes a guy gets out there and realizes this sucks. I'd never walk away from a competitive round, but sometimes it's just not worth it. Quit once in a while. Get home early. Surprise your wife.

Kevin

I've left a couple a couple of rounds in the unfinished category, but only if I'm playing by myself. If i'm out with friends, it's more of a social and there's just never enough time for that. So even if I'm chuckin' a ball or two per hole in the woods or the water, I'll stick it out when I'm with the fellas. that's why there's more than one ball in the box and more than one box on the shelf.:clapp:

BUT! If I'm by myself and having an abysmal round, I'll take it off the track and over to the driving range and see what I can work out - especially if the course has a lot of folks on it. I hate being the guy holding up a bunch of other folks because I am spending more time looking for a ball than walking towards the next shot.....

I have never quit mid round, though I have thought about it a handful of times. I did quit once with four holes remaining, mostly because I was physically exhausted, was playing really bad, just wasn't having any fun.

????????

Did you quit mid round or not?

Yeah. Did you? Blugold wants to call you a quitter. lol

Kevin

Are cheeseheads about to throw down? I didn't really quit as much as I ran out of balls. I've stopped after 9 holes when I planned to play 18 for whatever reasons.

Are cheeseheads about to throw down? I didn't really quit as much as I ran out of balls. I've stopped after 9 holes when I planned to play 18 for whatever reasons.

We could on the course. I wouldn't quit.

Kevin

Yeah. Did you? Blugold wants to call you a quitter. lol

Kevin

Apparently so. Or apparently not. I am not quite sure. By mid-round standards (half of 18 is still 9, correct?), I haven't. B

Anyways. I was under the impression that the question was quit after a rough first nine, like the OP said he did. I apologize for confusing Bluegold. It won't happen again.

I will not be a party to Cheesehead on Cheesehead crime. I don't like quitters. Picking up because something came up is different than picking up because the round isn't going well. Quitting because the score is getting high is pretty darn silly to me.

Apparently so. Or apparently not. I am not quite sure. By mid-round standards (half of 18 is still 9, correct?), I haven't. B

Anyways. I was under the impression that the question was quit after a rough first nine, like the OP said he did. I apologize for confusing Bluegold. It won't happen again.

It just confused me. Thanks for clarifying.

I stopped mid-round once several years ago. I was playing in San Antonio, it was roughly 105 degrees with over 90% humidity, and it wasn't 9:00am yet!!!

Kevin

This fits with yesterday for me. Wasn't having fun, really at a loss for what was happening, and just frustrated wasn't a good way to spend Wednesday. Add on top that I really had other things I should have been doing and packing it in was a good idea. I still feel good about the decision.

Played nine this morning with friends and had fun, though my game wasn't much better. Put a couple doubles on the card, my bad shoulder was bothering me, but I finished birdie, par and had an epiphany about what I was doing wrong. Gonna get a couple days' rest and head back out renewed.

Shanked with my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

raises hand guilty

after playing 2 years I had never done it but in the last month I have done it twice,once after 14 holes on a very tough track and after nine holes the other time,I actually teed off on ten then hooked two balls out of bounds and said who am I kidding I can't fix this and left,after slowing everything down and going back to basics and I still couldn't figure out what was going on then why continue to frustrate myself

i had a coworker tell me of a story that happened to him. Now this guy has a short temper to begin with so when he told me the story i could see him doing this.

He was playing a par 5 and the approach shot was over water to the green. I guess he chunked a few balls into the water and he got so mad that he backed up the golf cart to the pond and unhooked his golf bag and threw all of his clubs and his golf bag into the water. He then unhooked his buddy's bag and he layed his clubs on the grass beside the pond. He then got into the golf cart and drove back to his car and went home leaving his buddy stranded out there.
What really is the kicker is that his buddy actually went into the pond and got his clubs out of the water. If it was me then i probably would have never spoken to the guy again.

For me, i admit i have walked off a course before after playing miserably and one time i did snap a 3 wood over my knee. But i was young and dumb at the time.

I have quit a couple of times mid round when I got a case of the nicks ( shanks ) as I almost hit one of my playing partners , it rattled me so bad I commenced to hit one after the other , so I just walked in and went home . I was actually shaking because I almost hit him in the head . God did I ever feel bad about that !!! Still do !

I have stopped mid-round 3 times, twice for legit reasons and once due to poor play.

The first time was just heat. Me and a buddy were walking in the summer, it was about 98, and we stopped after 13 because we both felt pretty sick. The third time was a twisted ankle, so the walking part stopped being pleasant.

The second time was just bad golf on my part. I was by myself, playing poorly, not having any fun, and so I finished out my front 9 and then stopped. Looking back, I regretted the decision. But at the time, it saved me 2 hours of frustration.

In the past I've left due to pace of play. At times I only have X amount of time to spend on the course.

I have never walked off halfway through a round. If the swing gets really bad I have been known to play with only 8,9,pw and putter to complete the round.

The only time I can remember quitting mid round was a long time ago playing with a friend who was an Assistant Pro and had a bit of a quick temper on the course. He hit a bad shot and turned around angrily swinging his club into the ground towards me and the dirt went straight into my eyes. I couldn't focus out of my right eye for several hours. Very scary, and very lucky there were no rocks.

I've done it a few times. The last time i did it I lost something like 7 balls in 4 holes, and still wasn't even in play off the 4th tee yet. I decided that this was not the day to be out there. I packed it in, went home, buried my clubs in the basement and didn't touch a single one for 3 weeks. After that, I went to the range once, then back to the same course and shot my career best there, a 96. Yeah, I know, not a low one by any means, but it was the only time I had ever broken 100 on that course. I find that if I'm playing SO bad that I can't even figure it out on the course, then there is no point in being out there as I am not having any fun, and it's getting more and more expensive with every ball that goes OB or in the drink. Save the balls from that kind of a doom and come back when you're feeling it again. Now, granted, this was the course I was a member at and didn't pay greens fees every time I teed it up. Had I done that, I probably would have at least played out the 9. ON a course where I've paid, I may take a hole off and just go for the ride with my partner, calm down, then see how it goes. I have done that many many times, and finished off fairly well, but only if I have a partner. If I don't, which is most of the time, I just pull out all the crap balls in my bag and play those, not caring how many I throw away.

Back