The 3 iron, a dying breed.

darahagan

Reaction score
Handicap
Is it just me or is the 3 iron being phased out by club makers. I'm not actually looking for a set right now, but just looking through some sets at the current range of clubs on offer, there is no mention of 3 irons.

I have to say that I love my 3 iron, it is my go too club off the tee when I have to be accurate.

Is anyone else in the same boat, please let your voice be heard before this endangered species goes extinct.

I like mine too. Off the Tee, I like to hit a nice little draw with it out there about 200-210. Very accurate club for me, but I also understand they can sometimes be an impossible club to hit.

BDG

I play the tm mbs as you can see from my sig. while I dont use my 3 iron very often, i do tend to use it off the tee when the driver or other woods aren't doing what I want them to do. it's nice to know that I can always grab the 3 iron and hit that low piercing stinger right down the middle of the fairway, when ive lost confidence in some of my other clubs.

Most ironsets come with 3iron options. But, with the evil loft monsters changing lofts, today's 4irons are yesterdays 3irons. Plus, with hybrid technology where it is, 3irons are becoming obsolete for most amateur golfers.

I have a 3i in the bag right now. I love using it off the tee but am super inconsistent with it from the fairway. I am probably going to look at replacing it with a hybrid eventually... I just hit those much better off the grass.

I play the burner 2.0s and I am pretty sure the 4 iron is the same loft as many of the other 3 irons out there, especially from a couple years ago. I love it. I max at 58 degrees and believe that my set is perfectly suited for the distances I need.

I am a huge fan of the new age loft deviations.

I am one who cannot hit a three iron, not enough swing speed, but I have noticed that it is getting very hard to find the full set that includes the 3 iron.

Most ironsets come with 3iron options. But, with the evil loft monsters changing lofts, today's 4irons are yesterdays 3irons. Plus, with hybrid technology where it is, 3irons are becoming obsolete for most amateur golfers.

Exactly! 3 irons are still around, they just call them 4 irons now.

I love my 3I even though I don't hit it very often. At 21 degrees, it's the loft of many modern 4 - irons. On bad swings, my dispersion on the 3I is quite a bit better than a similar lofted hybrid in my bag. When I get around to getting properly fitted for a new hybrid, the 3I might get replaced since the hybrid is quite a bit more versatile.

I've tried hybrids and found a few I really like but I just hit an iron better, especially off the tee or fairway. In fact I'm adding a 2i just because of that.

I have used a 3i in the past and like them. Albeit, the hybrid route is much better for me and my scores. There are of course pros and cons. easy vs hard to hit and so forth. I do not feel that oem will take them out. 'players' clubs will always have them in there (IMO). The hybrid can be a more expensive option after buying the set, something that I believe most oem's know. Comfort is key here I believe. I know I hit a hybrid a lot easier than a 3i

I hit my 4 iron pretty good from the fairway. I would like to try a 3 iron.

I find it increasingly useless unless it's a windy day or a links-type course.

I agree that a combination of stronger lofts and hybrids have killed 3 irons. I think they'll always be available in sets geared towards lower handicaps but they really don't make a lot of sense for you're average player. The only time I miss mine are trouble shots out of low ceilings and in high wind situations.

I haven't hit a 3I in years. Been playing a 3H for several years now and doubt I will ever consider giving it up.

I have both a 3 iron and a hybrid that I switch out, 3 iron has been in my bag for ages, as winter is almost here the little low runner of the tee isn't going to work so probably put the hybrid back in. I have a VR_S Forged 3 Iron and a 910 hybrid.

I used to carry a 3 iron and hit it well. But then the hybrids came into fashion and I found that I could hit my hybrid like a 3 iron from the fairway and get a few extra yards when I needed it. The other benefit was from the rough, I could hit better shots than the 3.

My 3 iron is actually phasing my hybrid out. I'll always get the 4 - PW set, even though the 3 iron is offered, and get a cavity back 3 iron of the same brand that is very forgiving and has a larger face (see my sig). I started doing that after seeing pros carry a game improvement 3 iron. I can bomb my 3 iron off the tee and the deck. It's a very useful club for rescuing me from a wayward drive and is one of my favorites.

It seems only players sets (for the most part) are still marketed as 3-PW.

When I started playing golf as a kid I loved my 3i. I could hit it as far as my driver and much straighter. Now, the longest iron in my bag is a 5 and I doubt I'll ever have a 3i again. I am thinking about a 4i though.

With my old set, my 3i was my least favorite club in the bag. With my new set, I made sure there was no 3i. :)

You got to remember todays 4 irons are the loft of yesterdays 3 irons. So really they haven't gone anywhere.

Yeah in my set the 4 iron is 21 degrees which is what my older sets 3 iron was. I think with the stronger lofts your running into the 2h and 5 wood lofts with a 3 iron.

I want to get a 3 iron. I like my 4 iron a good bit, so a 3i could be better for me than my 3 hybrid.

Back