TaylorMade RocketBladez - Everything You Want To Know

I don't know. I may be in the minority here, but these things are just MEHH to me. I want to like the looks of them, but I just don't. Full disclosure. I couldn't stand the Rocketballz either. I thought looking down at the Rocketballz, was reminiscent of looking down at the back end of a small car. The 5 iron they sent me was just hideous. Looked like an alien pod of some sort. I ended up playing it forward to Oregon Golfer, in hopes he would like it better than I would. I will give Taylor-Made high marks for incorporating the ATV technology into the SW and LW within the set. That is awesome and for those that haven't experienced the ATV yet, it might be a welcome addition and open some eyes that previously wouldn't have been opened to the ATV. I would have to see them in person, but from I have seen thus far, they just look like re-tooled Rocketballz to me, and I wasn't too high on those.

FWIW Jeff, these are NOT as wide front to back as the RBZ's. I saw some comparison pic's and it was pretty noticeable the difference to my eye. Plus, I think the caboose is no longer with us! Hahaha, I agree with you there, the long irons in the RBZ's were hideous.

Everyone has a different eye though, not trying to sway at all, just throwing it out there because until I saw more pictures I thought exactly like you did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great show JB! I would love to get these beauties in my hands and test them against my Burner 2.0's.

Great show JB! I would love to get these beauties in my hands and test them against my Burner 2.0's.

Same here DD. Now I'm really curious about how the technology built in to the Rocketbladez, will work vs the RBZ irons.

What a great episode. My excitement for these irons has grown to unprecedented levels. I'm even considering starting saving now just in case these are the irons for me. A couple of thoughts though. I hit TM 300 forged irons now. The irons are about 12-13 years old, I've never found an iron that was worth the cost to replace them. But what the guy said about the result of hitting the ball low on the face really caught my attention. Most years, I do tend to sweep at the ball rather than hit down on it, which tends to result in hitting the ball low on the face. After a horrible drought this year, I found myself hitting lower and lower on the club face, because the ground was rock hard where I play. If these new irons, particularly the tour irons, can produce a better distance and launch while still hitting low on the face, I may be sold already.

Also, I don't think he used the term sweet spot, but that's what I assumed he was talking about....the claim that the sweet spot is 5x larger than a traditional MC iron is a bold claim. I look forward to trying the tour and non-tour models as they are released and comparing them to my beloved TM 300 forged irons.

~Rock

FWIW Jeff, these are NOT as wide front to back as the RBZ's. I saw some comparison pic's and it was pretty noticeable the difference to my eye. Plus, I think the caboose is no longer with us! Hahaha, I agree with you there, the long irons in the RBZ's were hideous.

Everyone has a different eye though, not trying to sway at all, just throwing it out there because until I saw more pictures I thought exactly like you did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I would have to see them in hand or comparison pictures between the two. For some reason, I think of the old Nike Slingshot irons when I see the Rocketbladez. I could deal with the looks of those over the RBZ irons any day of the week. I guess I would just like to see more traditional looking GI irons, over some of the stuff alien pod stuff I am seeing today. A few really nice, traditional looking GI sets come to mind. At first glance and based on what you said, the Rocketbladez may be a step in the right direction.

Yeah, I would have to see them in hand or comparison pictures between the two. For some reason, I think of the old Nike Slingshot irons when I see the Rocketbladez. I could deal with the looks of those over the RBZ irons any day of the week. I guess I would just like to see more traditional looking GI irons, over some of the stuff alien pod stuff I am seeing today. A few really nice, traditional looking GI sets come to mind. At first glance and based on what you said, the Rocketbladez may be a step in the right direction.

Interesting comparison. I thought the slingshot to RBZ was a better comparison. The looks of these made me think Machspeed at first, but the performance was better by miles.

The Wilson thing is a little funny, but I think it's probably a lot less relevant than they might think it is.

Looks like the same thing essentially

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Looks like the same thing essentially

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Iron technology has come a long way since then.. Probably not the same thing but who knows

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Oh I'm sure the idea is the same, but if the patent is out of date...

Plus there are how many copies of the Anser putter on the market? In fact I played with a guy last Friday who was rolling a Ping anser and I thought it was one of the new models, it was actually several years old.

I'll assume that Wilson doesn't have much more to throw out there than a witty ad unless we hear different. The placement alone isn't the same from what I see. The TM slot is behind the actual cavity rather than being part of it. I have no horse in the race, but my impression is that it's not really a legal issue.

JB - I was curious if there was any off-recording discussion about the acquisition of Adams Golf and how that tech played into these clubs. Or if TM started developing the tech and like evolutionary dove tails got to the same place as Adams from a different spot?

Patents are strange creatures. Lawyers actually have to take a separate patent bar exam if they want to litigate such cases. A speed slot I doubt can be broadly patented to prevent anyone else from putting a speed slot in their irons. Saying that Wilson owns the patent and therefore, TM is ripping them off, is like saying Microsoft Zune ripped off Apple Ipod. They both play music on a portable device.

~Rock

It's interesting that when they say the sweetspot is 'five times bigger', they are comparing their cavity back design to a muscle back iron. Not exactly apples to apples, IMO.

It's interesting that when they say the sweetspot is 'five times bigger', they are comparing their cavity back design to a muscle back iron. Not exactly apples to apples, IMO.

The quote unquote sweet spot may very well be the same size on both types of clubs, but the forgiveness away from it is greater on a CB. I think increasing the sweet spot is what they mean. Kind of like a certain company claims with 9 point technology.

Patents are strange creatures. Lawyers actually have to take a separate patent bar exam if they want to litigate such cases. A speed slot I doubt can be broadly patented to prevent anyone else from putting a speed slot in their irons. Saying that Wilson owns the patent and therefore, TM is ripping them off, is like saying Microsoft Zune ripped off Apple Ipod. They both play music on a portable device.

~Rock

OK thanks for explanation I don't know how those things work.

Doesn't change the fact that taylormade claiming revolutionary technology that's in actuality from the 70's ? Lol

I'm sure its more advanced now and I'd love to hit em but you gotta laugh at the attempt to put in place by Wilson.

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

The quote unquote sweet spot may very well be the same size on both types of clubs, but the forgiveness away from it is greater on a CB. I think increasing the sweet spot is what they mean. Kind of like a certain company claims with 9 point technology.

Right, that's what I mean. They're saying the sweet area is the size of a quarter compared to the size of a pea. The size of a pea is from a muscle design, not a comparable cavity back

I tend to hit shots a little low on the face of my irons so these have me very intrigued. Too bad the tour versions don't come out until February.

Same here, Wluker. Low toe is my miss, though my distance isn't really hampered much with it. Trajectory stinks though.

Thanks Rock. I had a feeling this was the case, as surely you'd have to patent exact positioning, size etc....but always had a niggling feeling that TM acquiring Adams made the whole technology discussion a lot easier on the TM side.

Can't wait to hit the tour version of these at the outing, hopefully!!

I got a chance to listen to this yesterday. Was a pretty good listen. After listening, I really want to hit the tour model irons. If what he is staying is true, that the tour adaption is that is growing fast and everyone is seeing such great gains, I have to hit them.

Listened to this earlier and as usual TM came with some pretty awesome facts and info. Im intrigued to give these a swing.

~Rock

are they both rectangles? :act-up:

I dont disagree with you about how it should work but apple's patent on having a rectangular phone was recently upheld.

Back