What did/do you want to do for a living/career?

I want to make the nationwide tour. Ive seen the diffrence from where i started the year and where i finished and i believe that with the right connections and the right help i could make a presence in the game of golf. My biggest challenge is i come from an antigolf household so i have to find this on my own and fight my own family to do this.

Make sure you know what you're getting into and have a backup plan (BTW, the nationwide tour is now called the web.com tour).

One can make a lot of progress on one's handicap in a short amount of time. Heck, there's people on here playing to a 5 or lower who only started a year ago (and I hate them).

But the difference between 5 and scratch is HUGE. The difference between a scratch and +4 is exponentially larger than that. A lot of us can get to scratch eventually. Very few of us could get consistently in the +5 range, which is what it takes to make it on one of those tours.

Additionally, life on the mini-tours is a very tough life if you're not one of the better money earners. It's long drives (no money to fly) and Motel 6's. It's having to take a second job to earn enough to pay your expenses. Look at Bri Vega, who won Big Break VI, was a collegiate golfer and has won numerous amateur competitions. She's on the Symetra Tour (the LPGA equivalent to web.com) and her CAREER earnings are $57,043, and that's after 7-years on tour.

That is not to dissuade you from your dream. Not at all. On the other end, look at Tommy "Two-Gloves" Gainey, who failed to win Big Break IV, did win Big Break VII and is just a country boy with a very unconventional homemade swing. If you'd asked a thousand golfers whether he'd make it on the PGA tour or even the web.com tour for that matter, probably 95% would have said "No way. He'll wash out with that swing." But after a lot of perseverance, he made the PGA tour, made $2 million last year, and 1.5 million this year, with a PGA tour win to boot.

So absolutely go for it. Just be realistic and know what you're going to do if it doesn't work out, or be prepared for a hard life if success doesn't come immediately but you want to keep chasing the dream.

I went to Pitt State and got a Degree in Printing back in 1982. The plan was to work in printing until I retired, but by the late 1990s, Desktop Publishing, as well as computers in general, Put a huge dent in the printing industry. (Ever notice how you don't get many user manuals anymore? They are either on a CD you get with the product, or you download the PDF from their website.)

The last five years I worked there, we went in hoping we had something to do that day, and in 2003 I got let go because they couldn't afford to keep so many people on. Since I made the most, I was the first person let go. Within a year or so, the company closed it's doors.

BTW, since PGA tour pro is off the table, there's only one possible answer to this thread:

MythBuster!

Best job in the world.

BTW, since PGA tour pro is off the table, there's only one possible answer to this thread:

MythBuster!

Best job in the world.

Good call. Can't be to stressful when you get to blow things up most weeks!

I want to be a Touring Pro. I believe in my ability and where my game is gone in the last 2 years tends to blow peoples minds when I tell them. I have a mapped out plan, but it involves others to believe in me.

My back up plan is to become a P.A.

Not counting sports dreams, in order from when I was youngest to oldest:

Marin
e Biologist
Pal
eontologist
Doctor
T
eacher (still stuck on this...supply teacher for 5 yrs, no jobs available)

If I could chang
e now, I'd go back for my PhD in Physics
Still trying to b
e a writer, but hard when I ask family for criticism and I get 'oh nothing, it's great'. Got about 50 pages I'm not thrilled with yet, but am focused to work on it this winter.

I want to be a lawyer

I want to be a Touring Pro. I believe in my ability and where my game is gone in the last 2 years tends to blow peoples minds when I tell them. I have a mapped out plan, but it involves others to believe in me.

I hope your map has lots of dots around your short game. That is the game changer, but thats the beauty of this game. Enough hard work, and it can happen to anyone. Good luck!

I hope your map has lots of dots around your short game. That is the game changer, but thats the beauty of this game. Enough hard work, and it can happen to anyone. Good luck!

I work on Short Game the most. I hate putting, but I know that's what I have to work on the most to compete with the big boys. I hope to one day make it a strength.

I call being your caddy.

I call being your caddy.

Ole Gray already called caddying for me in my first major championship. Haha. Maybe US Am if I make it in 2014 when it's in Atlanta. Sound good?

Ole Gray already called caddying for me in my first major championship. Haha. Maybe US Am if I make it in 2014 when it's in Atlanta. Sound good?

Yes. Perfect.

This is an interesting thread. In middle school I fell in love with the John Grisham books and decided I wanted to be a lawyer. I quickly learned that I hated public speaking so that was definitely out of the question. At some point in high school I decided that since both chemistry and math were easy for me I would go into Pharmacy. When I got to college I didn't like the 4 hour labs so I settled on accounting. Since graduating I've had a couple of different jobs: one at a bank doing more finance type things and then my current position as a governmental auditor.

I still don't know what I want to do long term. I really enjoy sports, helping others, being physically active, and kids. I've considered going back to school for a variety of different things but financially I need to stay where I am for now.

I never really honed in on a specific career. When I was younger I would say seemingly foolish things like "I just want to be happy. I want to help people and make some money."

By the time I graduated college I decided a career in law would allow me to do all those things. That was among the most stupid conclusions I've ever reached. But I digress...

I know work in IT for a large insurance company. Kind of like an internal consultant, I am aligned to business areas and am their point of contact for resolving technology needs and solving business problems. In an unexpected way I do what I set out to do as a kid. I solve problems for people, make their lives (hopefully) more efficient and productive, I am not going to get rich but do okay, and I am mostly happy doing it.

I grew up on a farm so have always had a passion for agriculture. With that said, during school, I knew I didn't want to do that right away and focus on my other passion of wealth management, the markets, etc. Spent approx 10 years in that industry and now semi-retired and getting back into agriculture at the age of 35. Between working hard and being in the right places at the right times, I have been fairly fortunate.

I went to school to become a manager of a golf club. Amazing experience in school, but I hate working in the industry. It leaves you saturated with golf and without a way to get away from it. It really makes you not want to play a whole lot as well.

Don't work in the industry if you love golf!! Work outside it with good hours so you can enjoy the game to its full potential!!

I'm glad you said that because I have been thinking about going to school for designing a golf courses but if i'm not wanting to play much then I really don't want to work for the golf industry.

dude, I can't wait to play with you someday soon, maybe you can teach me a few tricks don't give up your dreams man, you obviously have the skill, just need to get there lol.

Keep it up and I can't wait to hear the Ole Gray caddying stories-he'll keep you entertained with his jokes

i lucked out and got my dream job after years of trying to get hired somewhere..... i wanted to be a firefighter since i was a little kid like most boys wanted to. I worked hard at it and kept applying at different places till i finally got hired even if it was 7 years out of high school. I honestly dunno if i will do anything after i retire from my current job. i still have a LONG time to go so i haven't given it much thought after this chapter in my life.

i lucked out and got my dream job after years of trying to get hired somewhere..... i wanted to be a firefighter since i was a little kid like most boys wanted to. I worked hard at it and kept applying at different places till i finally got hired even if it was 7 years out of high school. I honestly dunno if i will do anything after i retire from my current job. i still have a LONG time to go so i haven't given it much thought after this chapter in my life.

Firefighter by day, hussling dudes with your tatoos on the golf course by night

Firefighter by day, hussling dudes with your tatoos on the golf course by night

lol i hope everyone in Myrtle falls for that! need money for car bombs.

That's awesome man, firefighters are some of my hero's a few of my cousins are firefighters and they do some awesome work!

I'm glad you got to be what you wanted

That's awesome man, firefighters are some of my hero's a few of my cousins are firefighters and they do some awesome work!

I'm glad you got to be what you wanted

nothing is better than enjoying going to work every day! greatest feeling ever.

I want to be a househusband and equipment reviewer.

Seriously, I have no problem being a "kept" man LOL. T-minus 3 1/2 years.

Back