Favorite Restaurauts

Since traveling to Eagan, MN for work I have become very fond of Granite City Brewery's food. Also have taken a liking to Famous Dave's.

JT, I think you have good taste in BBQ. Famous Dave has won national rib contests across the country. It's definitely not what you'd expect from a Native American from Minnesota! Great atmosphere too.

Granite City is based out of St Cloud MN (city nickname is 'granite city' based on all of the granite there) and I agree it is good food for a very reasonable price. Their seasonal micro-brews that they make on site are pretty good too.

Best Traditional French Restaurant: Chez Joel. Chez Joel is in Chicago and is a very cozy and "romantic" spot that serves traditional southern french fare. The mussels are always great, and the Octopus is one of my favorites. And of course, hard to go wrong with the Duck. Only odd thing about it: it is in the middle of the Little Italy neighborhood.

Best French/Basque Restaurant: Avec. Avec is on Chicago's restaurant row on Randolph street. It is small plates (i.e. many dishes shared amongst the table), and it is a hybrid french / basque fare that pulls elements from France, Spain and Italy. It is pretty small and very loud, outgoing and busy. Communal type tables as well. The stuffed dates and salmon are a great start to the evening. Then move to the squid and sweetbreads. Then, the bigger dishes can be the chile glazed chicken and the roasted mushrooms. No reservations, so either arrive late (i.e. 10:30 pm) on a Tuesday or expect 3 hour wait.

Best French Bakery: La Fournette. La Fournette is in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood. Pretty authentic; the chef and his family have had a bakery in France for more than a century. They recently moved to Chicago for a new experience. Great atmosphere inside and most of the employees seem to be right off the boat. Unbelievable apricot danish. The macarons are awesome and smoked salmon tartine is to die for. And, yes, the crepes are great too.

Looper, have you made your way to any of Grant Achatz's places?

Son, we need to broaden those taste buds

You are free to take me wherever for dinner at the Invitational. As long as it's not The Melting Pot. I hate Fondue.

Looper, have you made your way to any of Grant Achatz's places?

Yep. Good stuff.

I have been to Alinea. Excellent, but definitely not a place to dine at often.

Next is very fun, intriguing and decent. Have been several times. Some menus have been better than others (the menus change about every quarter), but I have always enjoyed myself. My favroite menu was "Paris 1906" followed by "Childhood". You are served a significant amount of drinks too.

I have also been to his bar near Next, the Aviary and the "speakeasy" upstairs The Office. The drinks are very good, the mixologist was fantastic but the drinks cost an arm and a leg.

Jealous. I worked with a couple guys that were associates (for lack of better terms) and could have gone and worked for him at one point, but I chickened out.

Jealous. I worked with a couple guys that were associates (for lack of better terms) and could have gone and worked for him at one point, but I chickened out.

Man... that would have been awesome! Like the old-school Charlie Trotter, the dude has a knack for the business. Wonder how long he can stay near the top!

There's a semi corporate owned Azie here that makes incredible food. I love eating there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Man... that would have been awesome! Like the old-school Charlie Trotter, the dude has a knack for the business. Wonder how long he can stay near the top!

He definitely does. Really just a legend in the industry as a young guy.

As for my favorites, they are almost all local places. I never really found many places that I liked better than those at home. Comfort factor or whatever, they are the way things are 'supposed' to taste in my mind I guess.

Hawk: Speaking of Grant Achatz... this was his latest video regarding his latest menu: Kyoto. Too funny!

lol what the hell was that.

Yep. Good stuff.

I have been to Alinea. Excellent, but definitely not a place to dine at often.

Next is very fun, intriguing and decent. Have been several times. Some menus have been better than others (the menus change about every quarter), but I have always enjoyed myself. My favroite menu was "Paris 1906" followed by "Childhood". You are served a significant amount of drinks too.

I have also been to his bar near Next, the Aviary and the "speakeasy" upstairs The Office. The drinks are very good, the mixologist was fantastic but the drinks cost an arm and a leg.

Used to do the occassional important client dinner at Alinea, remember one bill that was $7K. The next year we had Charlie Trotter come to our CEO's house and prepare a dinner for the client - that was fantastic.

Used to do the occassional important client dinner at Alinea, remember one bill that was $7K. The next year we had Charlie Trotter come to our CEO's house and prepare a dinner for the client - that was fantastic.

Yeah; Alinea is ridiculously expensive. Having Charlie Trotter over to prep a dinner would be awesome. Now that he has closed his Chicago restuarant [tears] I am hoping he opens a new one here after his extensive travels.

Yeah; Alinea is ridiculously expensive. Having Charlie Trotter over to prep a dinner would be awesome. Now that he has closed his Chicago restuarant [tears] I am hoping he opens a new one here after his extensive travels.

I bet he comes back with a new concept that is likely inspired from his travels. He is only in his early 50's so I suspect he has one or two more start-ups in him.

Steak House - Bern's in Tampa, FL. Not only does it have amazing steaks, the place is Iconic. The dessert room upstairs is special as you eat in old fashioned phone booths with tableside preparation. The restaurant has not just a wine list, but the largest wine cellar in the world and the complete list is crazy including many many wines over 100 years old. The place is truly an event and if you are ever in the area, should be one of the tops on your list of places to try.

That is the winner hands down. Macadamia nut ice cream in the desert room is the best desert I have ever had. Calling it just ice cream is a disservice to how good it is.

My favorites run from hole in the wall dives to high end. Hard to pick.

If I had to choose I'd pick O'Steen's Seafood in St. Augustine, FL. Their fried shrimp are like a taste of heaven. Hands down the best on the planet. Great sides, too, such as the sweet potato casserole (Saturdays only).

I also love The Olde Pink House in Savannah, GA.

Man. that looks good, forgot how good the beans are too.

The Potato salad is one the of best I've had. ( Sorry Mom)
If you up this way ya got to try the potato salad. Of course a generous helping of Ribs and Pulled pork shouldn't be overlooked.

Last edited:
Umm....Taco Bell

I gotta say Ajili Mojili (pronounced ah-he-le, mo-he-le) some of the best puerto rican food on the island. The mofongo is to die for

Your country called and said they Re revoking your card...taco bell....are you alright!

Hahaha, hey when you grow up with the best Mexican food constantly, Taco Bell becomes a treat haha, can't beat an authentic Mescan pizza

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

Your country called and said they Re revoking your card...taco bell....are you alright!

Haha, that's like me going to the local Chinese restaurant and ordering general tso's chicken

Man I guess I don't eat at the right places or travel much.

This thread makes me hungry.

I have a few favourites, depending on what I want to eat. My current favourites are a little local Indian called Spice Chilli - they do the best South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken, watch out! I also like a local tapas bar called Las Ramblas, they do a good mix of tapas dishes, a great lamb casserole, and the black pudding and chorizo is lovely.

Back