Rory McIlroy To Nike?

I agree Nike is in a lose lose here and is a big reason why If I am Nike I look at what else I could do with that cash. Just curious JB, if you are in charge of Nike Golf is this the direction you would go?

I agree Nike is in a lose lose here and is a big reason why If I am Nike I look at what else I could do with that cash. Just curious JB, if you are in charge of Nike Golf is this the direction you would go?

Heck yeah it is. Having two of the biggest faces in golf to build around as they continue to get a younger growing stable of talent is absolutely a brilliant move. You will have 2 of the most visible golfers on TV each week whether they play well or not. The amount they sell in soft goods alone will be staggering and add to that the continued growth of it from a lifestyle brand with the biggest athletes in the world.

Heck yeah it is. Having two of the biggest faces in golf to build around as they continue to get a younger growing stable of talent is absolutely a brilliant move. You will have 2 of the most visible golfers on TV each week whether they play well or not. The amount they sell in soft goods alone will be staggering and add to that the continued growth of it from a lifestyle brand with the biggest athletes in the world.

Is this something that can finally make them a hard goods contender?

TT on iPad

Is this something that can finally make them a hard goods contender?

TT on iPad

Not immediately. Marketshare does not change that fast as distribution still plays a huge role in that.

It will be fun to see what happens from here.

Not immediately. Marketshare does not change that fast as distribution still plays a huge role in that.

Yeah I figured not immediately. But in 5 years or so do you see Nike being a bigger contender than they are right now? How much bigger? Taylormade status?

TT on iPad

Yeah I figured not immediately. But in 5 years or so do you see Nike being a bigger contender than they are right now? How much bigger? Taylormade status?

TT on iPad

TM status in marketshare? No chance. But if they pick up 3-5 marketshare points it makes them relevant. People look at it and think Nike is "buying a stable" and yet its no different than any other company. In fact even with Tiger and Rory's deal, I bet they pay less overall than quite a few out there.

TM status in marketshare? No chance. But if they pick up 3-5 marketshare points it makes them relevant. People look at it and think Nike is "buying a stable" and yet its no different than any other company. In fact even with Tiger and Rory's deal, I bet they pay less overall than quite a few out there.

Is there a way you can elaborate how much a point is worth, or give us some more insight as to how that works? I can really learn a lot from this conversation.

TT on iPad

Is there a way you can elaborate how much a point is worth, or give us some more insight as to how that works? I can really learn a lot from this conversation.

TT on iPad

Marketshare = 100%.
It is broken down into many categories such as on course (meaning green grass), off course and about 10 other categories.
It is then broken down into equipment categories as well, such as drivers, balls over $30, under $30 and more.

So you would take all the money spent on golf balls for instance and divide that up to what marketshare % that company has in the category.
For instance, a few years ago, Titleist had something like 70% marketshare in certain ball categories. That has since changed upwards of 9% swings (downward) in a few areas. That right there is millions and millions of dollars.

Hope this rambling helps.

That is interesting and puts this whole signing in perspective to the bigger picture and how much it is really costing Nike.

Either way, I am pumped for this change and think it is a great move for Nike.

That's good info JB. Very helpful. I learn a ton here.

I agree this might be cheaper long term for them. Although these 2 are probably the priceyest 2 golfers to get its cheaper then paying 25 guys when you get the same kind of coverage for your company.

Wow. Great knowledge sharing JB. I think this is great for Nike. Not in terms of selling more clubs, but getting their name out there and "owning" the general public and their perspective of Golf. Plus, you add credibility on Tour with the signing of Watney and Stanley (Maybe Cauley too?)

WINNING ISN'T EVERYTHING ON THE PGA TOUR. MAKING MONEY IS.

TT on iPad

That is the piece that sucks. There are so few players who(seemingly)play week in & week out to win. So many play to make bank. Idealistic on my part, I know.

what is the substance of the deal? Is it every club in the bag and ball, I assume? Is it just clubs or what about clothes and his jumeriah hat? I thought I read on here that he's done with oakley but resigned with jumeriah so I'd guess nike polo's and a swoosh on the side of the jumeriah hat. Is he going to get his own line of stuff ala tiger? Curious what a Rory logo would be. So much stuff going on with this, it's going to be cool to see what comes out of it.

what is the substance of the deal? Is it every club in the bag and ball, I assume? Is it just clubs or what about clothes and his jumeriah hat? I thought I read on here that he's done with oakley but resigned with jumeriah so I'd guess nike polo's and a swoosh on the side of the jumeriah hat. Is he going to get his own line of stuff ala tiger? Curious what a Rory logo would be. So much stuff going on with this, it's going to be cool to see what comes out of it.

Nike doesn't allow other logos on their golfers. The only logo Rors is wearing is the swoosh.

Nike doesn't allow other logos on their golfers. The only logo Rors is wearing is the swoosh.

You don't think he will be gaming the TW logo as well? :alien:

That is the piece that sucks. There are so few players who(seemingly)play week in & week out to win. So many play to make bank. Idealistic on my part, I know.

Very, very few guys are good enough to win every week. Of course the rest are playing for the money - that's what helps them keep their tour card, give them better ranking and get them into bigger events. But when they're in contention I bet you they play to win.

Marketshare = 100%.
It is broken down into many categories such as on course (meaning green grass), off course and about 10 other categories.
It is then broken down into equipment categories as well, such as drivers, balls over $30, under $30 and more.

So you would take all the money spent on golf balls for instance and divide that up to what marketshare % that company has in the category.
For instance, a few years ago, Titleist had something like 70% marketshare in certain ball categories. That has since changed upwards of 9% swings (downward) in a few areas. That right there is millions and millions of dollars.

Hope this rambling helps.

And it works the same in all categories?

That's cool man thanks for the mini lesson. I've always been interested in how a lot of the marketing and statistics work with the OEM's.

You don't think he will be gaming the TW logo as well? :alien:

This is what I'm wondering about. I know there are what seem to be 2 different "golf" lines in Nike, The Nike stuff, and the Tiger stuff. Everyone other than Tiger just wears the Nike Logo; but now come's a new stud to the stable that I'm guessing will have the same kind of OMG you are paying me what?????? kind of contract. How do you go about marketing him? Do they make make Rory the face of the Swoosh and Tiger with his TW sign? Does Rory get his own clothing line here in a few years? As far as I'm conserned, Rory is in the same marketing atmosphere as a Young Tiger was. How do you go about satisfying him and all of his followers without stepping on Tiger's toes?

No offense to Rory, but as of right now, he is not even close to the same marketing atmosphere. Tiger appealed to fans that have never played golf, thought about playing golf, etc.

No offense to Rory, but as of right now, he is not even close to the same marketing atmosphere. Tiger appealed to fans that have never played golf, thought about playing golf, etc.

Got me into it...

Back