Bettinardi's new BB-54 putter

JimmyG

Reaction score
Handicap
Just last week Bettinardi released a statement about the BB-54 model being apart of their new 2013 line-up.

I've been on the soap box preaching about how great of a putter the new BB-54 is from Bettinardi since acquiring one of the first prototypes back at the Summer Social in June.

To summarize... I used to work with a putter company. Have owned hundreds of different putters with a revolving door in that position of bag. I've tried nearly every brand and style. The BB-54 has simply changed my golf game. What used to be my weakness is now a strength and the confidence that I have on the greens has spread to other aspects of my game. I rarely go a round without my playing partners commenting on how well or how much better I'm putting. My men's league partner has threatened to "kick my a**" if I ever change. My 3 putting has basically been eliminated and I make more putts, simple as that. The balance, feel, forgiveness, accuracy, etc. is all unlike any other putter I've tried. The combination of aluminum, the fit face and slot in the sole provides the perfect amount of feedback for my tastes. I'm well past the honeymoon stage and the BB-54 is here to stay.

Here are pictures of the putter that I've been using. I just picked up 2 more for my collection.

DSC_05362jpg.png

DSC_05392jpg.png

DSC_05412jpg.png

In my opinion the the retail price point is great for the package you get and have already got a few local guys chomping at the bit to get one. It's priced at $299 which is in line with other higher end retail putters. What sets this putter apart as with all Bettinardi putters is the attention to detail, extremely tight tolerances and the fact that it's manufactured at their own facility in Chicago. USA Made!!!

2013 Model details...

"BETTINARDI BB54
Material: 6061 Aircraft Grade Aluminum
Finish: Pewter Gray
Dexterity: Right or Left Handed
Shaft: Heel or Center
Weight: 358g
BB54 is designed and built around one of Bettinardi's most popular and successful model, the Baby Bee Accelerator model. The Baby Bee putter captured the 2003 US Open at Olympia Fields, IL. Bettinardi has used modern technology to alter the Baby Bee design concept and has created the most forgiving MOI mallet.
The crucial design element that has changed from the Baby Bee is the addition of a large 303 DASS weighted port located at the rear extremity of the putter resulting in 40% of the total weight. The significance of the weighted port moves the center of gravity dramatically towards the rear of the putter and away from the face. The results are an extremely high MOI ratio making this the most forgiving putter on off center hits. Even on miss hits the ball will travel the same distance while still holding the line. The BB54 will give every golfer the confidence they need to sink that crucial putt.
The features of the BB54:
Milled Windows – 2 milled out windows on the top of the putter which aid in alignment and also reduce weight from the middle and front end of the putter.
Weight Slot - There is a weight slot milled in the sole to remove more material from the front end of the putter. This provides us discretionary weight placement and allows us to move that weight into the 303 DASS weighted port that is set into the rear of the putter.
Bettinardi "T" – The white Bettinardi "T"site line pops in contrast with the pewter gray finish. This will give the golfer an unmistakable edge for ease in alignment.
Face Milling - The face of the BB54 is milled with Bettinardi's patented F.I.T (Feel Impact Technology) Face along with the HoneyComb face. This provides the ultimate in sound and feel for any putter.
Sweet Spot - Enlarged sweet spot is provided by the detailed weight placement of the putter.
Weighted Port - 303 DASS weighted port is inserted and fastened to the rear of the putter by a hex nut. The weighted port accounts for 40% of the total weight.
The technology of the BB54, weight placement, face milling and built in alignment aids will make this one of the most forgiving and sought after putters Bettinardi has ever created."

Retail model....

DSC_0492.jpg

DSC_0495.jpg

DSC_0497.jpg

DSC_0498.jpg

DSC_0500.jpg

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0507.jpg

DSC_0508.jpg

As you can see, the retail version is identical to my original protoype other than finish. The black will remain a "tour" only option through their tour distributors (bettinardiltd and bettinarditourstock). They have added a "hosel" to the putter that will allow for easier loft and lie customization.

They are available for pre-order through Jimmy and Nick. I'm not affiliated in any form. Just a fan.

http://bettinardiltd.com/collections/bb-series/products/bettinardi-bb54

http://bettinarditourstock.com/collections/bb54/products/bettinardi-bb54

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. It's not really my favorite look from their line, but you can't deny Bettinardi makes some exceptional putters.

I love that head. Wish there was a CS option for this it, I would have gamed this model in a heartbeat for the 2012 Morgan Cup if it had been out then.

This is a great looking putter to me. Like Cookie I would really like to see a CS model

Like the look of the putter. Good information and it is awesome to see its American made.

I love that head. Wish there was a CS option for this it, I would have gamed this model in a heartbeat for the 2012 Morgan Cup if it had been out then.

There were center shafts in the early batch of tour protos. I actually had one and it setup fantastic.

I'm sure it's right around the bend on the retail side.

That's sweet looking!

Like the look of the putter. Good information and it is awesome to see its American made.

All of their retail and tour putters are. I've been on the floor and watched with my own eyes. Impressive facility to say the least.

Can you change out the weight?

Check out the Ben Hogan Betti's on eBay, you can find a very similar one for an affordable price.

Reminds me of this one, that I LOVE;

images

Can you change out the weight?

Yes, with an allen wrench is comes out. Nothing has been stated about future adjustability at the retail level.

Here's an extra weight that I have for mine. They were heavier for belly putters sold at the social.

DSC_0393.jpg

That's nice, I like the mallet

Thanks for the info and pic Jimmy. These have my attention for sure. I think it is not a matter of if but when for me.

Thanks for the info and pic Jimmy. These have my attention for sure. I think it is not a matter of if but when for me.

No problem. Really passionate putters, but this one particular as it's done wonders for me.

I have a couple of local guys that are in the process of pre-ordering ones because they've seen me since June and have tried mine a few times. Just trying to spread the love for it and hope some others out there find the same success and confidence that I have.

I'm with you war. My first thought was that it looks just like the big ben that bettinardi made for the Ben Hogan line years ago. I've got a buddy who still games his and loves the way it rolls.

Interesting putter. I love Bettinardi but that one us just kinda ugly to me.

I'm with you war. My first thought was that it looks just like the big ben that bettinardi made for the Ben Hogan line years ago. I've got a buddy who still games his and loves the way it rolls.

Agree! Definitely can see that it was the foundation for this new model. I used to use a Big Ben years ago before I even cared about Bettinardi or knew anything about putters. Just like the setup and roll.

Now with face technology and MOI improvements (design and backweighting), it's so much better.

Anyone getting ready to order one of these? I think this is a great looking mallet option for the Bettinardi line!

If I was a Betti staffer this year I am sure I would be rolling a CS version.

I wouldnt mind having one in the bag.

I have been secretly lusting over this putter in the CS.

Back