Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to argue about who copied who and why because you all clearly believe one thing and that isn't going to change. But if you think RocketBallz and Callaway's new green are unconnected, well you know what I mean.

I dont know what you mean actually.

I actually think you are quite off base with the "who copied who" side of things, as most companies work on their stuff at least 2 years out.

I dont know what you mean actually.

I actually think you are quite off base with the "who copied who" side of things, as most companies work on their stuff at least 2 years out.

Precisely my point.

It's not hard to change some colors on a website and put together a black and green headcover and add those accents to the driver you are showcasing even though it's available in many colors. Certainly doesn't take two years.

The 5-Year War is a term coined by Callaway on Twitter for their "war" against TaylorMade to dethrone them as the top OEM in golf within the next five years.

It seems Callaway is starting to simply copy TaylorMade. The shadow of the driver ad saying "Something Big is Coming," Making green their new flagship color, both on the website and the pic of the new headcover they tweeted, Calling the new driver the longest driver in golf... Is this a strategy that might work? Who will you be "cheering" for?

Whoever makes the better equipment will get the nod from me. Don't care too much about the name on the club, just the performance.

Competition is always a good thing for the consumer.

Precisely my point.

It's not hard to change some colors on a website and put together a black and green headcover and add those accents to the driver you are showcasing even though it's available in many colors. Certainly doesn't take two years.

So in a nutshell any golf company that adds green this year or next year is copying TaylorMade? I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying here because it is unique.

Does it have to be green to count as copying? Or can they use any color?

I have to say it is simply a color, not a copy in my opinion. How many OEM's out there used red and black..... how about EVERY one of them? I personally don't look into the color thing much at all. Just my thoughts though.

One could say TM copied Titleist (and others) by changing from their burnt orange heads to the dark grey several years back. Boccieri was also using green as their major accent color for several years now. Everyone in the industry makes changes, as long as the equipment gets better, I dont care.

Surely it was a kick in the nads that Callaway's flagship play in Phil has used an RBZ 3 wood recently. Whether or not he has a flexible contract I cant remember seeing a Titleist, Nike or TM player using any competitors equipment

I think differently about this. I look at it as a Callaway wants their staffers to be successful, point blank. If that means he or she needs to play another companies club for a week while their equipment gets adjusted, so be it. Other companies wouldn't be so supportive.

Agreed, Callaway fully supported the move. Class act if you ask me

I have to say it is simply a color, not a copy in my opinion. How many OEM's out there used red and black..... how about EVERY one of them? I personally don't look into the color thing much at all. Just my thoughts though.

[Nerd Talk]

If we're really talking about "copying" something, there has to be a level of confusion. Certainly, manufacturers will can use the same colors. There are only so many colors, especially basic ones. The issue is whether the color scheme, or some other aspect of the club, would confuse the consumer into thinking that the product was actually made by habit her manufacturer.

Yes, Taylormade uses green in its rocketbalz line. But, there is nothing that I have seen from Callaway - green or not - that looks like a Taylormade offering. The color is a non-issue.

[/Nerd Talk]

So in a nutshell any golf company that adds green this year or next year is copying TaylorMade? I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying here because it is unique.

Lol, JB next time we disagree on something please tell me my perspective is 'unique', I think I like that. :)

There are only so many colours to go around. Who gives a rip if the new Razr is green or blue or brown...what does that have to do with copying anyone? Did Toyota copy Mercedes when they had the 'gall' to sell silver cars? After this next year with many products having multiple colours (Callaways UDesign, Amp Cell etc) I think color choice will really become a moot point.
Taylormade was smart these past few years; they got their driver's into the hands of a lot of pros, and made sure that the public would know from a distance it was a TM.
I am really rooting for Callaway in these next few years, and I hope they can pull off what they set out to accomplish.

Who gives a sh!t? I'm all for a good debate but this isn't remotely close a debate, it's conjecture and speculation.

Unless there is something deeper than color at issue it is a moot point. Did Nike copy cobra by going red this year? No, they made a damn driver that happens to be red.

To say Callaway is copying Taymorlade by using green is ridiculous, especially when you realize that Callaway used green on the Razr Fit TA.

I'm colorblind so I guess I'm not too concerned with what company has dibs on a particular color.

See, I thought I'd dreamed this thread last night and it was a figment of my imagination......nope.

This isnt the dumbest thing Ive seen posted, but I cant say I didnt expect it coming in here.

Agreed, Callaway fully supported the move. Class act if you ask me

I thought so too man. I was extremely impressed at the way they handled the whole thing.

[Nerd Talk]

If we're really talking about "copying" something, there has to be a level of confusion. Certainly, manufacturers will can use the same colors. There are only so many colors, especially basic ones. The issue is whether the color scheme, or some other aspect of the club, would confuse the consumer into thinking that the product was actually made by habit her manufacturer.

Yes, Taylormade uses green in its rocketbalz line. But, there is nothing that I have seen from Callaway - green or not - that looks like a Taylormade offering. The color is a non-issue.

[/Nerd Talk]

That is what I see too my man.

I'm not sure I can add anything to thread that would make an sense. I keep trying to post something and get stuck. I hit it long with my RBZ 3W (white with green accents)
If the Callaway can beat that, I guess I'll switch. You can call it the 5 month switch

I'm not sure I can add anything to thread that would make an sense. I keep trying to post something and get stuck. I hit it long with my RBZ 3W (white with green accents)
If the Callaway can beat that, I guess I'll switch. You can call it the 5 month switch

Yessir. Product based, not color based bro. Good take.

Serious question.

My Whitlam has lime green paint fill....

Nevermind, not going there. :alien:

Precisely my point.

This is kind of funny to me.. Not so much that you are directly focused on the green (which isn't even the same colour of green), but that you are basing all of your 'copying' logic on it.. The two drivers are enormously different, down to the shafts, the OptiFit adapter, and the face technology.

Who knows man.. maybe you just don't like Callaway.. You should try them sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back