Vision Golf Ball Forum Review Thread

I played what I call the Clear White Gel ball (the one with the translucent cover) the other day. First time I had played a ball other than the Bridgestone B330-RX in almost a year. I love the look of this ball from the cover to the large number and the alignment aids. I found the ball to have plenty of distance and was equal or maybe even a few yards better than what I have been seeing from the RX. I could not get it to stop as quickly or check up with the wedges like I can the RX. The cover also was not as durable as I was expecting. Not sure how many more times I will be able to get out this year with the short season but I have a few different Vision balls that I am looking forward to testing out.

Hi How, the ball Toad ws using was probbly the X3UV from the look,,,,,,

Thanks for the updated feedback, here is the big thing with the Gel cover material go into the kitchen
and get a light scouring pad and some Jif / Ajax creme cleanser and give it a good clean up as you can
partially restore the cover material. I carry one in my bag all the time and will look to design a pocket
version for easier on course cleanup.

Cheers,
Boz.

Forgot about that. Thanks for the tip.

Hi How, from the look of Toads image it might be the X3UV.

Thanks for the updated feedback,,,,,,the great thing with the Gel cover material is that is able to
be cleaned up and refinished on the go.
Take a small kitchen light scouring pad and some creame cleanser like Ajax/Jif and you can polish up the cover.

I am working on a pocket version at present.

Talk more later,
Boz.

Hi How, from the look of Toads image it might be the X3UV.

Thanks for the updated feedback,,,,,,the great thing with the Gel cover material is that is able to
be cleaned up and refinished on the go.
Take a small kitchen light scouring pad and some creame cleanser like Ajax/Jif and you can polish up the cover.

I am working on a pocket version at present.

Talk more later,
Boz.

Boz don't give up on me partner. I have some balls to test and report back on in the near future. KellyBo and I have been up to our ears in crazy stuff going on in our lives recently. With moving to a new home, honey bees, her Momma getting ill, and Gawd knows what else, we have been unable to do a proper testing. We will get er done buddy, hang tight with us.

Boz don't give up on me partner. I have some balls to test and report back on in the near future. KellyBo and I have been up to our ears in crazy stuff going on in our lives recently. With moving to a new home, honey bees, her Momma getting ill, and Gawd knows what else, we have been unable to do a proper testing. We will get er done buddy, hang tight with us.
Same here, Boz. Busy, busy, busy.

On top of all the busy busy times, winter is coming!! I hope to get a few more week! Ekk

Played the X3 today, great ball and great feel. It would bite on all my full shots, I have no complaints.

I wish i could get more into detail on distace with the colder temperature but today i played my worst golf of my life. I felt really stiff and kind of like a robot out there, i hit one fairway which is not like me. Last 3 outings I started to have a really bad draw on all my hybrids and driver. I need to get to the range a-sap

Hi DB,

It sounds like you are standing to upright to the ball, that usually gets you swinging around youself
instead of on plane at least thats what happens to me,,,,,,,,if you feel really comfortable over the ball
you probably are in the wrong stance position as it needs to feel more athletic than that.

Have a look at the guys on TV hitting their long/mid irons in particular for a better idea of what I mean.

Boz

Hi Guys, I was talking to one of my Australian Test Pilots last night who had an interesting conversation
with an American based Golf Blogger about traditional white balls and the better visibility type balls
(compared to just coloured designs)

Here is the story edited down a bit as there was some non forum information involved,,,,,I hope this information is both
acceptable and to be honest illuninating when white golf balls will over time become the old school colour in golf.
When looking at ball design you will find that due to the rules of golf there is very few gains to be had in performance
terms, there will be trade offs in characteristics especially at the Tour Premium end of the industry yet REAL GAME
IMPROVEMENT PERFORMANCE balls are the one area of design that can be improved upon and that improvement
starts with playing a brighter ball colour than your normal standard painted white designs. :act-up: anyway here it is,,,,

Golf Balls are White!! Golf balls are white. They have always been white. They will always be white.Call it tradition. Something’s never change!
Or do they? Several years ago “woods” were made of “wood”, persimmon wood to be precise.They were beautiful to look at and a source of pride
for their owners. TodayALL ‘woods’ are made of metal or some exotic material anything but wood. Theidea of wooden woods left the stadium with
Elvis. Most believe the new ‘woods’are better. Statistical evidence agrees. Today’s top ball strikers are able tomake their drives go MUCH further
than yesterday’s heroes of the game everdreamed possible. The human body is pretty much the same; the clubs aredifferent so it’s reasonable to credit
the equipment not the golfer with thepositive change.

What does this say about the tradition of the white golf ball? Probably its days are numbered if there is ever a good reason to move into color.
There is! I received an email on the subject this summer. Here it is:

Hello ,,,,,,,
I am in Australia and a high handicapper. At present I am starting to use yourbook and idea of less is more. A concept I'm finding works well and
one that ifI adhere to the practice will help.I'm a father of 5 so my practice is usually in the backyard with almost golfballs and home putting mat
more so than on course. I have found with taking the less clubs my confidence is improving.

I've been reading all your past newsletters and enjoy them all. There ishowever one I wish to query. It's the balls one. In Australia we have
Visiongolf balls. So named because of the visual aspects they bring to the game.Bigger numbers for easy identification, bright yellow UV
( they glow like glowin the dark decals once charged from ultraviolet light).

The only reason I care to mention these balls and perhaps yellow balls ingeneral is there ease to locate in flight and on miss hits. I've found
they help for me to concentrate on making good contact and help stop the looking tosee where it went to early.After reading your newsletters
and teachings I'd like to hear your opinion of around using a yellow ball. Any would service for my interest in yourevaluation.
Thanks for all your efforts as I believe they will help my game. Regards Jim

Golf**** doesn’t carry the Australian balls but they do have colored balls. SoI bought an assortment and began the test. I discovered that
color matters whenit comes to finding your ball. That was a predictable result. What I didn’texpect to learn is that color affects accuracy.

Which color makes the biggest difference? For me, it was yellow. We’re talking about the EMS vehicle yellow not pure yellow. You can
spot an ambulance coming a mile away and that’s the point. They’re easy to see, same thing works for golf balls.

If the only benefit was that you could find your ball easier they would beworth buying but there’s another reason that makes them a must
have. Tee one upand address it. When I did , my focus was drawn more intently to the yellow andorange balls than it was to their white
cousins. Golf is a game of focus,anything that increases focus is a good thing particularly if it is the ball. Istruck the ball more precisely
because I focused on it more intently. Was it just me? Maybe Jim’s email had pre-conditioned me to believe in magic.

I spent a day at a local golf course handing out free yellow balls to anyonethat would agree to use them on an entire round, meet me in
the clubhouse andgive me their thoughts. Fifteen right thinking players agreed. Each of them wasgiven just one ball not a sleeve of three,
just one. Thirteen returned with their yellow ball at the end of the day, the other twonow live in a water trap. That told me everything I
needed to know andeverything I have to tell you. It didn’t much matter what they said about theexperience, the fact that nobody lost a b
all was amazing. These were justaverage golfers. Remember the two that couldn’t be returned weren’t lost theyjust couldn’t be retrieved
from the depths of the water. I asked only two questions. First, “How’d you do?”

A few reported lower scores. I discounted that. All said that the round wasmade more enjoyable by being able to find their ball easily.
Here comes my second question, “Why?” The answer mirrored my experience. The ball is easier to see in flight! That'sexactly what
Jim had said.

If you see it in the air you’ll find it on the ground. Most balls are lostbecause no one watched it leave the tee, slowly and gracefully
gain altitude,drop more quickly than it rose, find the earth and run to its resting place. “Inever saw your ball” is a common remark
from a playing partner. The guy who issupposed to track your shot often can’t. The ball striker can’t because he isconcentrating on
keeping his head down through the shot. When he finally gets achance to have a look he can’t find his target.

All of my product testers reported that not only did their partner now knowwhere their ball was but more importantly they did. Find
it while it was stillin the air was no problem. By the third hole, all the anxiety about lost balls was gone.
I started as a skeptic and have become a believer. Color helps! Grab a sleeve of yellow balls, most golf shops have them. You'll be
glad you did.

WB : I thought this story was very helpful in explaining why Hi Viz Ball designs make sense and have done so for a long time not
just over the last 3 years with the Srixon Yellow push , tradition is fine but a better game is more fun and way more exciting.
Cheers, Boz

Last edited:
Visibility is good!

Visibility is good!

I am new to THP, but, after making my way through this thread over the last few days, I feel like I have been here a while!

I am a big fan of high visibility golf balls. Few things are worse off the tee than looking up from the swing and not being able to pick up the ball flight. Should I hit a provisional? Go down the fairway and hope I find it? Did it "feel straight" coming off the face? Have I just trashed my score?

I currently play Srixon Trispeed and Trispeed Tours. I probably prefer the Trispeed, but wanted something in yellow and felt my game was getting better so I started hitting the Tours. When I am playing well (*), I can control the Tours off the tee and on the long shots off the fairway. However, when I struggle, dealing with driver spin gets me in more trouble with the Tours than with the Trispeeds.

I contacted Wayne and subsequently have purchased a dozen Vision UV yellows "straight and long" but have yet to get out to play them. For those of you who have hit this and the Trispeed series, what should I expect?

Also, are the balls in the test pilot pack going to be too much for my game when I am having trouble staying in play off the tee? Does the "flight correction" really work?

Thanks to all. I am happy to be a new member here.

* alleged to have occurred sometime last spring.

Last edited:
I finally got out to play 18 with the UV Yellow with Straight and Long on the box. This has the numbers in a circle and corresponds, I believe, to the Gel V series.

I played in the wind and cold on the edge of the hurricane with gusts up to 30 mph or so. Wind penetration was good, though I can't compare with other balls, because I had never played in those conditions before.

I found the ball very forgiving off the tee. Several pushes never quite evolved into push slices and remained playable. One pull also avoided becoming a hook. The Vision UV also had every bit the distance of my Trispeed Tours which had not been so forgiving on hooks and slices for me in the past. On several holes, I was able to work the ball and hit some nice draws and fades. By the end of the round, I was quite confident on the tee no matter what shot was called for; this was a novel experience for me as a golfer and would seemingly be the definition of a good game improvement ball.

You might expect that I paid the price when it came to approach shots and the short game. For the most part, I didn't. The ball checked up nicely on some long approaches and, once I got used to the roll out, was very predictable around the green. One bunker shot spun quite nicely and sat down where I needed it to.

When putting, it made a distinctive click. It didn't feel soft off the putter blade the way the Trispeeds (or Pro V1's for that matter) do. With irons, the same click was there. By the time I was on the back nine, I learned to enjoy the click as the sound of a well struck shot off the iron or putter.

I had meant to put some other balls in play and on one hole, I did use a Pro V1 because the person I was playing with gave me a sleeve before the round. I promptly put the tee shot in the right hand bunker and had the yellow Vision on the tee for the next hole. I just didn't want to start off a hole with anything else which, given the recent state of my driving, is a remarkable sentiment.

I enjoyed the round immensely because I knew I wasn't going to be re teeing and hitting 3. Despite the wind and a reasonable amount of water, I did not lose any balls today. A few more rounds like this and I will be looking to unload some Trispeed Tours! I look foward to the Test Pilot pack arriving.

Riveria: OK I finally got some time out on my new home course to put this ball in play. It was the darker blue ball which I love as far as the color goes. Blue is my favorite color, so to have a ball in that shade was cool. My first tee shot with this ball went a good distance down the fairway. It felt soft off the club face and I would compare it compression wise to a Bridgestone E6. Great feel off the club face for sure Same thing with the mid irons and wedges. Great feel whether struck pure and no rough feel on mishits. It worked very well around the greens when hitting bump and run or lofted shots. I have to give it good marks off the putter as well with the soft feel off the face of my putter although it did look a bit odd looking down at it. I felt like I was back on a putt putt golf course using those different colored balls. The one negative thing that stood out most about this ball with my driver, it was hard to pick up in the air. It seemed to almost disappear against the blue sky. I like the feel of the Riveria off the driver and the distance is really good however it is not even close to the X3:UV in terms of visibility. Maybe it's because of my 62 year old eyes however this ball would not work for me on a daily basis. It was too hard to follow on the longer shots.

The Fantom - Distance Pro: The Fantom was definitely the harder ball compared to the Riveria which was no surprise with it being designated a distance ball. I would compare it very similar to one of the newer Top Flights when speaking in terms of feel off the driver. Distance was definitely there for this version of the Fantom with driver, hybrids, and every iron in my bag. The ball literally jumped off the club face! The ball even sounded solid when struck well with a nice crack or explosive pop. Around the greens it was equal to any other ball in it's class. It had a reasonably good check on it but rolled out further than I prefer. Visibility was much better than the blue Riveria. I think the Fantom - Distance Pro would be a awesome ball, for those looking for explosive distance off the tee and respectable action green side.

I have a couple more models to give my opinion on when I get back on the course. The 888 version which I am really looking forward to and the yellow Honma, so stay tuned. I also picked up some more UV:X3 balls (my favorites to date).

Glad to see that you were out playing with your blue balls OG. :devil:

Nice write up buddy.

Glad to see that you were out playing with your blue balls OG. :devil:

Nice write up buddy.

Too bad buddy but I lost both of them :angry: Now you won't be getting a change to play with them . I simply could not follow them once they got out past 200+ yds off the tee. You would think they would stand out in the grass, which is somewhat dormant now, however they were also hard to spot on the ground.

Last edited:
Sadly its winter now in Canada, and all the courses around me closed. Old Grey, Did you find with the Fantom it went further then all the rest of the balls with the new "designed" distance? I found the 5 rounds I played & compared to the other balls every time it was 15 yards shorter consistent.

Sadly its winter now in Canada, and all the courses around me closed. Old Grey, Did you find with the Fantom it went further then all the rest of the balls with the new "designed" distance? I found the 5 rounds I played & compared to the other balls every time it was 15 yards shorter consistent.

The Fantom was long but nothing compared to my favorite Vision ball (UV:X3). Although the Fantom has distance written on the cover and it feels hot off the club face, the UV:X3 is just special in feel, distance, spin and total performance categories. Was the Fantom 15 yards shorter for me than any of the other balls in the Vision line, personally I have not seen that yet. Next time I'm out and the course is slow I will compare the Fatom with other balls from similar distances and post back my findings. I'm not exactly striking the ball my best right now, so maybe that is making it hard for me to distinguish a distance gap with this ball.

Hi Guys, plenty of info which helps for sure as I work my way through some different ideas.

Yes the Dark Blue is not one of my visible colours but I have a blue in a UV finish that I will keep working on,,,,,,,,
the ball itself is interesting in regards to what I need to do to get more players to switch.

The Distance Pro is an earlier design that I was hoping would be seen to be ok but perhaps not as hot as the other
multilayer designs I am currently presenting to players like the X3's and BoB's.

Cheers,
Boz.

The Bob and I

The Bob and I

I had the front nine all to myself for a gorgeous late afternoon at Finley in Chapel Hill. I took the opportunity to directly compare the 808 (The Bob) with the UV Straight and Long from the Gel V series - this is the ball that is currently for sale in the US. I purchased mine from TeeStar for $32 a dozen including shipping.

Both felt similar off the tee, but on the holes where I had equivalent swings I felt I got just a touch more distance with the Gel V than with the 808. The 808 was a bit more workable. Both balls took bad swings and straightened them out a bit turning what would have been slices and hooks into playable misses. Unfortunately, I discovered that both perform equally poorly when skulled. Despite that and a tree collision or two, both balls are in great shape after the round.

Green performance was similar with seemingly a bit more spin from the 808. On one hole, I had similar 110 yard 3/4 wedge shots that hit and released about 10 feet for each. In what had to be my best shot of the day, I hit the Gel V with a 4 hybrid off pinestraw 190 yards to a green guarded short by a trap and long by water. It cleared the trap, hit the green and stayed dry. I had a 140 yard 8 iron with the 808 hit the green and stop about 6 inches from the mark.

Putting felt similar for both, but I don't have as sensitive a feel for putting softness as most golfers do.

Despite some very determined efforts on my part, I was unable to lose either ball! The color was very helpful in my treks off the fairway. Both balls stood out well against the autumn leaves and could be tracked through shade and sun. The last hole was nearly dark, but I could follow most of the flights off the tee and on the long approaches.

I officially counted the 808 as my round, bringing the Gel V to the same spots to compare. I shot a 44 which is a bit better than average for this bogey golfer. Of the two, I still favor the Gel V. Compared to my old balls, the Gel V is a step up from a Srixon Trispeed, but steadfastly refuses to slice or hook into the woods off the tee. The 808 is similar to the Trispeed Tour and delivers a bit more performance, but with added risk off the tee.

I finally got a chance to get out and do a little testing with a couple vision balls today. I started my round with the white gel ball. My intention was to play that one on the front and then play the light blue "Willing" ball on the back.

GEL BALL:

Tee shot - I liked this ball best from the tee. The ball flight was mid trajectory and it seemed to roll out a bit better than my high flight ball I usually use. Not sure it was longer but I liked the feel from the tee.

Irons - I hit the ball really well with my irons but it did have a louder "click" sound that I'm used to. I feel like I lost a little distance too.

Chipping - Did not like the feel of this ball around the greens. It seemed a bit harder than I like and rolled out too much.

Putting - It's fine but I prefer a softer feel on the greens.

Looks - I like the clear gel look with the large numbers. Very easy ball to find and I like using the large numbers as a target off the tee.

WILLING (light blue ball):

Tee - I immediately felt a big difference when I switched to this ball on the back nine. This ball was obviously softer and flew higher. The distance seemed to be really good too but I'm not sure it was really any farther without doing side by side comparisons. I loved the way it felt off the tee! Seemed to fly off the face of the driver.

Irons - Felt really good off the irons but I felt like I lost a few yards. Again, not sure without doing side by side comparisons. It seems to check up really quick. One of my ball marks showed my ball hit the green and stopped one foot forward.

Chipping - LOVED this ball around the greens. Very soft and checked up really well. Much better chipping results on the back nine using this ball. I seemed to have better feel and touch with it.

Putting - Again, seemed to have a softer feel and better touch.

Looks - It's an odd color and you would think it would be hard to find but it wasn't today. We easily spotted it on all shots, even once in pretty deep rough.

Both balls survived my round today so more testing to come.

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the updated posts and feedback, much appreciated,,,,,,:clapp:

I was asked earlier today about the current USGA conforming ball listing situation for my designs, here is the updated info.

I have currently left just 2 balls on the conforming list under Vision ( Korean models ) Tour Master / Tour Force.

The USGA changed the way they charged ball manufacturers a year or so ago to test and list product and wanted
every colour and print variation to be done separately which I don’t agree with,,,,,,,,,cash grab only.

The deal is in regards to using the non listed Vision balls in competition, they can’t be used for Elite State and National
Amateur and Professional events but they can be used for all other events even the prototypes as they are all built
toconform to the rules of golf and this has been confirmed by the Australian Golf Association or Golf Australia (as we
know it.)

Once I finish my updated range of 2013 designs I will look to list one colour of each design but no more.
they will be listed under <Vision> , if I have greater player demand for more balls to be listed I will look
into it at that time.

Sorry if this is a inconvenience but there are many things in our industry that are done to make it harder for the
the smaller boutique brands nowadays and to also make some easy money for the associations, especially if we are
talking about regular club player or social player equipment and designs.

Just write me if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Boz.

Wayne -- Thanks for the update on the rules reg per USGA.

I will get back out sometimes this week to check out the 888 & 808 versions. Hopefully I can get them a run Wednesday or Thursday. Unfortunately I lost one of the newer versions called the "Honma", off my tee shot with it. Unless I can go back to the spot I saw it go in and find it, nothing to report on it. It's probably hiding right under a few leaves and I will check back when I head around hole #10 again.

KellyBo was really hitting the, "Willing" ball quite well! The light blue finish of the Willing, was much easier to see off the tee, in the fairway & in the rough, than the Riveria (dark blue) ball. I think with a bit more time she will be a large fan of the Willing ball.

I'm looking forward to putting the 8 series balls into play!

Hi OG, No probs the Honm version I supplied is very similar to the willing,,,,,,,,
The pastel blue of the willing does work better than expected and is much better
than the other blue ball in play,,,,,but I think there is a better colour yet.
Cheers, Boz.

hey Boz played the new glove again today in a scramble i still love it and the fit is much better than last years model. seems to be holding up just as good as the others as well. it might be due for a wash soon. i'll keep you updated on how it rebounds after its bath!

Thanks Buck, I am waiting for the updated stock to come in later this month,,,,
I hope the next round of trials goes as well I hope it should.
Cheers, Boz

Back