Cleveland 588 RTX CB Wedges Review - Forum Testing

Well, here goes nothing! :act-up:

Cookie,
That was a fun video to watch and while you did struggle with a few, those were much better especially towards the end than you have mentioned in the past. Good stuff.

Cookie,
That was a fun video to watch and while you did struggle with a few, those were much better especially towards the end than you have mentioned in the past. Good stuff.

Thanks, appreciate it! When I did not try and get cute the results were pretty darn good for me given it was a short sided bunker shot. Ideally, the play from there would have been a 60* or opening it up a bit more I would think. I was trying my best to keep the video short and definitely lost my focus and alignment on a few shots.

Very pleased with how this has performed from the grass and bunkers, a very solid offering that I look forward to spending some real on the course time with.

I love when cookie goes high speed haha. Good stuff dude. The RTX has been stellar from the sand for me so far. Yesterday I had one hole where I struggled in the sand but all the others I got out in one shot, which is a new thing for me.

I love when cookie goes high speed haha. Good stuff dude. The RTX has been stellar from the sand for me so far. Yesterday I had one hole where I struggled in the sand but all the others I got out in one shot, which is a new thing for me.

I feel the same way man. I usually struggle badly, but when I just focused on the basics today I hit some quality shots. My game will definitely change (how I approach a shot into a green) when I no longer fear the traps.

I feel the same way man. I usually struggle badly, but when I just focused on the basics today I hit some quality shots. My game will definitely change (how I approach a shot into a green) when I no longer fear the traps.

What Im trying to figure out is why is it so good from the sand? Its a pretty normal wedge design or maybe classic is a better term. Nothing crazy like an ATV but it just works well from the sand. I played today but didnt find the sand at all so on my last hole I threw a ball down in a bunker at the front of the green. Popped it right out like I knew what I was doing.

What Im trying to figure out is why is it so good from the sand? Its a pretty normal wedge design or maybe classic is a better term. Nothing crazy like an ATV but it just works well from the sand. I played today but didnt find the sand at all so on my last hole I threw a ball down in a bunker at the front of the green. Popped it right out like I knew what I was doing.

Been wondering the same thing. This from the sand just gives me a lot of confidence.

I am wondering if the added forgiveness that is perceived (and appears to be real) is letting people swing a little freer and because of that giving positive results.

Been wondering the same thing. This from the sand just gives me a lot of confidence.

Could you do a sole comparison between it and your J40 wedge? I'd do it but my 58 isn't shipping till next week

I am wondering if the added forgiveness that is perceived (and appears to be real) is letting people swing a little freer and because of that giving positive results.

I know it would for me. I have learned to overcome it easily, but I do fear 1/2 and 3/4 wedge shots. Not my best shots. What level of forgiveness are we talking here? Analogy anyone? Comparison maybe?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Could you do a sole comparison between it and your J40 wedge? I'd do it but my 58 isn't shipping till next week

Sure I can do that.

SW, thanks for the numbers, very interesting. Also that hands lower tip really worked during my warmup at the practice green. It was much easier to open the face! Thanks man.

Cookie, thanks for the video!!!

Today's testing was a full round of golf and I used the 56* RTX CB for any shot 75 yards and in, except a couple punch shots I needed to keep lower!!! I used the free Orlimar balls I got in the mail.

Initial thoughts: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...es-Review-Forum-Testing&p=1761216#post1761216

Hole 1: I was laying short of a par 5 green in two with a fairly short, 10 yards or so, pitch over a bunker to a short sided pin. I hit it a little harder than I was hoping, but the RTX spun pretty well and I had about a 30 foot putt back across the green, user error for sure and the wedge probably saved my bacon with the spin.

Hole 2: A very long par 4 and I was left with about 40 yards from the heavy rough, this was my first experience with what the RTX can really do I just wasn't expecting it. It cut right through the rough and I was able to get great contact, the problem was I wasn't expecting it and went long. The good thing was on the shot back over the green across to the pin and got a lot of spin coming down a down slope and stopped it short of the hole and still had a down hill putt left. It's awesome to know I can not only hit out of some crazy lies but create a ton of spin when I need it!

Hole 3: Short sided myself again and had about a 30 foot pitch down a hill, I came up short, mostly because of the wet conditions and I expected it to roll out a bit more. User error and I was still getting used to the added spin.

Hole 4: I as in a greenside bunker and got my first shot at a sand shot with the RTX, wow, it is amazing how easy it is to get the club under the ball in the sand and get some great distance. That's usually something I can't get out of a bunker, now the mid to long bunker shot doesn't scare me at all. I went longer than I hoped but it's still a learning experience.

Hole 5: I went long with my second and had another short sided shot, I came up short, but it was really due to the soft conditions and me not hitting it far enough. I hate to say this but maybe it spun too much, but in the end it's a good problem to have.

Hole 6: My first short little chip and I loved the RTX, it was easy to get it started on target and it rolled/released great.

Hole 7: Finally a green in regulation and no need for the RTX.

Hole 8: I had a mid sized chip and finally got a bit of a feel for the RTX.

Hole 9: Once again I got more distnace than I expected and on this longer pitch across the green I didn't get as much spin as I was either. I'm wondering if I released more for the roll out. I really need to practice more.

Hole 10: Probably my best shot of the round with the RTX, I was short and left in 2 and needed to pitch it close as my parter was struggling. And I pulled it off, I got some good spin and landed it a little further than I was hoping. It was truly user error and the club performed beautifully.

Hole 11: Another bunker shot, it worked great, I got more spin than I normally get out of a bunker so it was great to see a ball out of a bunker actually check up.

Hole 12: Another GIR, No RTX

Hole 13: My first real full shot from about 80 yards, I really went after it to try and get some check and it worked great, I forgot to bring my phone to the green but it made a great ball mark and the ball came to rest about an inch or two from it. Looked and made me feel great.

Hole 14: Had a tricky short chip and needed to just get the ball on the green, it worked great and left me with a tap in.

Hole 15: My first real bad shot with the RTX, I was about 50 yards and totally chunked it, I felt like the swing was ok and should have turned out a bit better. It was almost like the RTX dug in more than I wanted. But the follow up pitched worked great, the RTX really shines in that 20 feet pitch type distance no matter the shot.

Hole 16: A very trickey shot from right off the green, I had to pitch over a ridge and get it to stop, oh boy did the RTX perform, it landed on the ridge and had a bit of spin that slowed it down.

Hole 17: I was left of the green and had about 30 feet pitch and it worked great, I really felt like I could FEEL the shot and finally was getting the hang of it. I didn't want a ton of spin based on where I landed the ball and actually got a bit of roll.

Hole 18: Putted from the fringe, no need to end with the RTX.

All in all it was a great first round, I was truly impressed and know with a bit of practice can really get it dialed in.

Big thanks to Cleveland and THP, it was so much fun to have a wedge in my group that no one else did or really knew about and then when they saw my name they were super jealous. And then once I let them mess with it a bit I think there will be a few purchased by each of them. They all mostly used CG15/16 and were ready to upgrade and the spin they saw from the RTX put them into full ponder mode.

I'm hoping to get a round in this weekend and then really spend some time on the practice green area.

Absolutely, especially on the longer shots, I felt like I could go after it a bit more than normal and the result was much better than with my other xFTs.

Really good info Icey.

Glad it helped you open the blade up Icey, happy to help bro!

I know it would for me. I have learned to overcome it easily, but I do fear 1/2 and 3/4 wedge shots. Not my best shots. What level of forgiveness are we talking here? Analogy anyone? Comparison maybe?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Comparisons eh? I'm not seeing a giant leap in forgiveness, of course my wedge miss is a flat blade, not much to help that lol. For a comparison let's go away from a wedge. Think about the difference from an iron like the CG 16 to the CG 16 Tour. That little extra perimeter weighting helps minimize loss on off center hits. Since I don't play full shots with wedges of this much loft I'm not able to go much further than that.

Make sense?

Nice video Cookie! I'll be going early tomorrow morning to practice the same thing. Glad to see that it's working for you.

Nice write up Icey. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

These bad boys should be hitting the shelves at the local Golfsmith today. Think I'm gonna wander down there and see if they have anything in a 50˚... Also want to take a look at the satin finish ones.

I had an interesting day with the 56 yesterday. I played it for every shot 125 and in regardless of if I thought it was the right club or not, so there was "jump on it" shots as well as "touch" shots. Some went exceedingly well, some not so much.

I will lead this with the additional fact that I actually played the Wilson Duo for the first time with this wedge yesterday and it releases differently/more than my typical RX or V2 does for me personally. SO there was an adjustment period going on there.

Full Shots:

I intentionally played a LOT of full swing shots from 125 in with the 56 yesterday and even dropped a few extra balls at numbers where I could do so. The first couple swings I bladed the PEE out of the ball. I mean blaaaaaaaaaaaded. Turns out the ball was too far away in my stance and left me in bad position. With the ball a little closer I had some really good turf interaction (NICE divots) and came away quite shocked at just how high the ball actually went as well as how quickly it did so off the face. In all, with the ball I was playing it was hop and stop on FULL swings all day, didn't pull any back but I rarely do anyways.

Partial Swings:

In the "tweener" range I had several partial swings with the RTX yesterday as well. While I didn't have the thins at any time like I did on full shots, I struggled mightily with the ball releasing too much on these shots sometimes and me not yet having a feel for where my swing needed to be for each distance. They were all up in a hurry though, just not holding particularly well, today I'm playing a different ball to see just how much of this was the ball, how much was me, and how much was the club. Extremely confident from this range though on actually swinging the wedge.

Chips/Pitches:

Struggled here early with too much roll out and not hitting my landing spots. Again, the ball could have been part to blame. I will say I finally started opening the wedge up more and got much better/predictable results. A few thins here though, I really think I need to go get this bent a little flat like I do most wedges.

All in all, its a mixed bag so far. While I still don't have the "sound" issue some have had/mentioned, I have struggled here and there with it on some shots but part of me wonders how much of that is only having 2 rounds on the wedge. I really think I like this one a LOT on full swings after I adjusted my distance form the ball itself, I don't know if maybe I just have more confidence because of the cavity and perceived ability to "get after it" with more forgiveness? In all, I'm ready to get back out today, particularly with a different ball.

Pretty cool video there Cookie! When you do get out of the sand normally, do you usually get that much rollout on your shots? I can't remember your sand shots rolling out as much as those were. The greens are getting harder here due to the weather change.

Nice write-up Icey and Jman! I want to his these wedges for sure.

Is it strange that I was sad I didn't find any bunkers yesterday? I'm sitting at 2/2 and really want to try some more. Going to MAKE that happen today methinks.

Pretty cool video there Cookie! When you do get out of the sand normally, do you usually get that much rollout on your shots? I can't remember your sand shots rolling out as much as those were. The greens are getting harder here due to the weather change.

Nice write-up Icey and Jman! I want to his these wedges for sure.

I don't usually get that much rollout but I am also usually using a 58* for those shots. I think the fact that the greens are firming up due to the colder temps has an effect as well. You will get to check this out next Wednesday man!

Jman I've struggled some on chips with this wedge as well. It's kind of funny. On Full Swings we haven't gotten along yet. On Pitch shot and bunker shots we are happily in love, and on chips we are hot and cold, esp when it's set up normal. Now when I open it a little I see much better results, but still the lower shot type, whether it be a lower pitch or chip, has been a struggle for me.

Good writeup Jman. I'm excited to get out again tomorrow and see if this wedge and I can't get back on the same page.

Anyhoo... Went to Golfsmith on my lunch break and got all the way there before I realized that I left my gift card at the house. Blessing in disguise though because all they had in 50 was a satin wedge. While certainly an attractive club, I just like the look of the black ones better. I have no control though, so if I had my card with me I would have left with the satin one. Just gives me an excuse to go to the other GS! :D

While I was there I snapped a couple of quick pics with my phone to show the other finish.

2064B5DF-7C1A-468F-835B-14954D7A95FA-198-000000076F6E3DA5.jpg

I never noticed the chrome ring around the cavity at all before. It's there on the black ones too, just polished. I think it's a nice accent.

8729C35D-0403-4E04-8D3F-522190C6DB53-198-0000000775300B27.jpg

The milling on the face is much more noticeable, I thought, on the satin finish. Looks cool as heck too.

Been following just haven't updated much.

Cookie nice bunker video!

JMan and others - Seems like there has been an adjustment period with these than the comfort sets in. Is this typical for you guys when gaming anew wedge?

Jon - Nice pics! I didn't realize that finish doesn't have the parallel lines between the grooves like the Black ones do.

Jjmorris: definitely a slight adjustment period for me. Less to do with bounce and more to do with the weight of the club. I have begun to make a concerted effort to play this back a bit more in my stance and also focus on my tempo. I think with a lighter wedge, you can get away some with the deceleration issue but with this it is amplified for me as the club drops more quickly before getting to the ball resulting in a nice flub.

Back