I always find I do the best when I am apathetic about the outcome. I guess that is the best way I know how to put it. By that I mean, If I make it, great. If I don't, no big deal and do it on the next hole. Some of my best shots have come from that state of mind. So my biggest challenge on the course is staying in the moment and not making a big deal out of each shot.

One thing I have learned is that everyone will have a good day and a bad day. If you feel like you need to prove something to the people you play with that doesn't sound like fun and if I'm not having fun with the people I choose to play with it's not worth my time. Focus on your game and the enjoyment of playing and spending time with friends. If they are infact judging you and your game then they have more problems your bad round will not solve.

Enjoy the game and work on the next shot you can't change the one you just hit.

Interesting thread made me relize i do the same thing with friends getting up to the tee and wanting to rip one down the middle 300+ yrds. out and end up slicing it in to yesterday. Some have mentioned books for dealing with the metal side could anyone suggest some good ones..

Interesting thread made me relize i do the same thing with friends getting up to the tee and wanting to rip one down the middle 300+ yrds. out and end up slicing it in to yesterday. Some have mentioned books for dealing with the metal side could anyone suggest some good ones..

Check the Pro Mental Coach review.

I shot 110 with JB after a rough road trip and four days of Disney parks. Crap happens. But I also think people talk more about their great moments than their not so great ones which leads to misconceptions about what certain THPers shoot. That's why I tell everyone about the good and the bad. Set the bar low so you can step over it.

iPad tapping!

I shot 110 with JB after a rough road trip and four days of Disney parks. Crap happens. But I also think people talk more about their great moments than their not so great ones which leads to misconceptions about what certain THPers shoot. That's why I tell everyone about the good and the bad. Set the bar low so you can step over it.

iPad tapping!

Ouch....that is a rough day and to play with JB to boot. At least your a fast player which he loves! Get 'em next time.

Ouch....that is a rough day and to play with JB to boot. At least your a fast player which he loves! Get 'em next time.

Yeah. A 65 hour driving week is no bueno when you throw rounds in and around a trip. But I got to play with him and Lucas x2 and Jarret so I was a happy guy.

iPad tapping!

I really appreciate the advise in this thread as I know I do this at times as well.

Guys, I cannot thank you enough for some of this advice. Just goes to show what a great family I have in THP. I'm going to try and use all the advice in here to the best of my ability. It's just a barrier that I need to pass, and with the support I'm seeing right now, I'm sure I'll get over it in no time. You guys are freaking awesome. Every.Single.One of you.

Love the nuggets of info in this thread. I know something that has helped me is reading the boom zen golf. It has helped me to stay in the moment and learn to focus on the appropriate things while on the course. Might be a good stocking stuffer to ask for this Xmas.

I've recently run into a really big issue with my game. Mostly, my mental game. I've found out that when I tee it up with people that I know, or know my game well, I feel like I have to go out there and prove something, or else they'll judge me and my game. When I don't, I feel like I've disappointed myself because they think of me differently. But it starts early. As soon as I get to the first tee, I feel like I need to play well so I don't have to worry about what my playing partners think about me. It's almost as if I care about too much about wanting to play well for my playing partners, and when I think about things like this, I just end up playing worse.

Does anyone have a thought or an idea that can possibly help me in the long run?

dude i know exactly how you feel. i feel like this every single time i play with family, friends, or coaches. the only people i can be around and not have this pressure are random people i get paired up with, and THP'ers, because they don't judge me. the only way i've figured out how to fix this problem, is play better. if i don't play well, i feel like i've let them down, so if i just play well, i don't have to worry about it. this leads to me wanting to practise more, and my game getting better :)

JT....I can appreciate your concerns about your mental game. I too use to have an issue with trying to "play to my peers/friends opinions".
When I would play with strangers, I would shoot lights out, but then when it came to playing with friends or co-workers, I felt a lot of pressure to perform.
Then one day I was paired with a threesome that consisted of 2 elderly gents and a guy that looked to be in his mid 20's. He was having a pretty bad round and kept complaining to one of the elderly gents that turned out to be his grandad. He kept saying "I'm better than this and you know it. What is wrong with me"?
About the 12th hole, I heard the grandad say to him..."Quit your b!chen and have fun with the game". I took that little gem of knowledge and put it to use in my game. Now I don't worry about what other people think of my perfomance. Do I care how I perform and what they think? Well of course I care...to some extent.
But...I don't dwell on it and it doesn't affect my game in the long run.

Good luck and I hope you get this issue resolved so you can "have fun with the game".

It happens to me too, last time I played the first 9 terribly an then realized that my friend did not care about my game and had a great back 9

One thing I can add is that I also get nervous every time I tee it up with someone for the 1st time. I remember on Wednesday morning of the MC last year, I teed it up with JB, Ddec, and Cookie. I was not nervous to play with JB as I had played plenty of rounds with him. I was nervous to tee it up with Dean as we had not played since December and he seemed to be playing well. I did not want his confidence to soar by crushing me(which he did lol). Plus it was my first round with Cookie and I wanted to show him that his Captain was a decent golfer. Well I was flat out awful that round. But I got the round in. Went on to play 36 holes each day with different guys. Got comfortable playing with everyone. By Saturday morning, my nerves were gone. IMO it is important to get down to Myrtle early that week and get some practice rounds in. That settles the nerves quite a bit at least for me.

One thing I can add is that I also get nervous every time I tee it up with someone for the 1st time. I remember on Wednesday morning of the MC last year, I teed it up with JB, Ddec, and Cookie. I was not nervous to play with JB as I had played plenty of rounds with him. I was nervous to tee it up with Dean as we had not played since December and he seemed to be playing well. I did not want his confidence to soar by crushing me(which he did lol). Plus it was my first round with Cookie and I wanted to show him that his Captain was a decent golfer. Well I was flat out awful that round. But I got the round in. Went on to play 36 holes each day with different guys. Got comfortable playing with everyone. By Saturday morning, my nerves were gone. IMO it is important to get down to Myrtle early that week and get some practice rounds in. That settles the nerves quite a bit at least for me.

Man as well as you played there I would have never suspected it. Great advice.

Thanks Trout. But man did I struggle during a few of those practice rounds. On Friday I had a stretch of holes in which I could not get a wedge into the air at all. Worm burners. Didn't help that I was sweating buckets of High Lifes though

I just admit to myself I suck at golf and if I happen to break 100 it was a good day.

Last edited:
I just try to play one shoot a t the time, if I'm playing with new people or somebody I know, I have the same attitude. Just keep playing and don't forget to have fun.

Back