Great thread JB! I have not looked at anyone else's posts (yet!) as I didn't want someone else's answer to change my first thought. I'm going to assume that the lie is a decent one with good grass under the ball. If so, I take the 60 degree out and play my flop shot. I practice this shot and love to play it in the right conditions. I think this is one of them. If the lie isn't that good, I still take the 60 degree but probably play a bit safer, take a bigger swing and worst case hit it too hard and it goes past the pin. But with a good lie I'm taking dead aim at the pin and trusting my confidence in the flop shot.

Now lets' go see what everyone else wrote...............

I am taking my medicine...I will open a lob wedge slightly and make sure I clear the bunker and hit the green...if the ball carries too far I am going to trust that I can two putt for bogey.

The worst thing you can do in this situation is try the hero shot, come up short and turn a possible par/easy bogey into a double or worse.

I like a cut flop shot with my 64deg here. The safer miss is left, so I'd aim left of the flag and since I'm cutting it should come out at the flag with a risk of miss left.

Id only do this if the lie shows me the back of the ball clearly. If not I'd punch it over with my 60 trying to land it on the fringe and letting it dribble in.

Though a lob wedge w/b fun, leaving it sort and in the bunker is a real possibility.. You would then have the same shot all over again.. Bad choice IMHO. I would play it a little longer with my sand wedge and try and stop it somewhere behind the pin.

chip a nice 58* right at the pin and hope it ends up ok, and if not hope I'm playing in a scramble and my team does something better.

I'd open my 56* and carry the fridge short of the flag with a low check. At worst I should have a 4' for par. I live for short sided shots.

Show of hands, how many play flop shots on a regular basis and play them well enough to save par? Just curious Asti seems to be the popular choice no matter what the hdcp says

If that black line represents a ridge and it's steep enough, I'd pitch the ball onto that ridge and just let it trundle the ball down. If it's not steep enough to let it do so, I'd pitch the ball starting at the hole. The slope in front means it'll limit some of the rollout. If I don't hit it that great and it runs by the hole, I'll still have an uphill putt for par. If I hit it too great and it checks, looks like I'll still have an uphill putt for far.

18th hole a par 3.. Who let Rees Jones do the redesign on this hole?

Show of hands, how many play flop shots on a regular basis and play them well enough to save par? Just curious Asti seems to be the popular choice no matter what the hdcp says

I play and practice them regularly. They don't always work out how I want, but generally they're not a disaster.

Would I save par? Probably less likely than a bogey, but it'd be rare that I'd botch the flop so bad that I'd be looking at a double.

I like the flop shot cause it's fun, but there's no need to hit it in this situation. You catch it all heavy and you just brought double right into consideration. You're short sided with a nasty pin. Goal on this shot should be first and foremost get it on the green so you have a chance for par.

It's actually one of the best shots in my book, that whole ATV thing really made it too easy.

so I would try a nice high flop shot into the green and putt it close

I've already lost a stroke with the poor tee shot. Just try to accept it and make sure I'm on the green in 2 and get the bogey.

i would flop the hell out of that. Go big or go home. That is a motto I play by that goes against my need to work on course management and thus why i don't score as well as I would like to.

I've already lost a stroke with the poor tee shot. Just try to accept it and make sure I'm on the green in 2 and get the bogey.

^^ Gets it. Get lucky and make a putt if you have to. All really depends on the lie and if the green is all elevated. No reason to try and hit it 30ft in the air if you can just pitch it 3-4 ft in the air and you're fine.

I like the flop shot cause it's fun, but there's no need to hit it in this situation. You catch it all heavy and you just brought double right into consideration. You're short sided with a nasty pin. Goal on this shot should be first and foremost get it on the green so you have a chance for par.

Well, I certainly agree that number one goal is to be on the green. I guess it depends on how you interpret the diagram. The way I read it, there's no way a traditional pitch is going anywhere but down the hill. A two-putt from there is not a sure thing at all.

If you play the flop a lot and are reasonably comfortable with it, I don't see it as dramatically more risk as long as you commit to it enough to get it on the green.

But maybe that's why I'm a high handicapper and you guys aren't.

I practice it now more than I have ever before, but seldomly take the shot to the course and am certainly not good enough with it to save par regularly

60 flop go for it or go home 50/50..

At the course I would play most often, the grass around the 18th green near the bunkers is TERRIBLE. I could try to open it up and try to hit the perfect shot... but it would be incredibly risky and there is a chance that I would leave it in hard bunker. With that said, I would probably just aim left (towards the front of the green). Based upon the pic, that route appears to open up the angle/green a bit, thereby taking out the short-sidedness of the shot. It also gives me a lot more margin for error. Even if I am a bit strong, it likely just trickles onto the fringe. Lastly, it leaves me a decent up-hill putt. Might be able to make par, but almost ensures nothing worse than bogey.

Freddie, I get up and down with a flop as much as I do from a bunker...not often.

I've won a lot of money playing the flop shot.

Well, I certainly agree that number one goal is to be on the green. I guess it depends on how you interpret the diagram. The way I read it, there's no way a traditional pitch is going anywhere but down the hill. A two-putt from there is not a sure thing at all.

If you play the flop a lot and are reasonably comfortable with it, I don't see it as dramatically more risk as long as you commit to it enough to get it on the green.

But maybe that's why I'm a high handicapper and you guys aren't.

I don't see it going down the hill unless I hit it too left or right. Straight at it, it should at worst case be before that ridge behind it. It says though based on the lies you're used to at your home course. Bermuda grass, it might sit down and then again it might not. If it's fluffed, no way I'm going flop shot. Recipe for that bunker 3ft in front of you. If it's sitting down, just kinda depends. I'd rather have to make a putt though than try and hit the perfect shot.

I have played several flop shots in my day, but last year, nearly had to give them up totally. The drought made for a complete lack of grass, rough, or anything else. Turns out I can't play a flop shot very well off hard dirt. Here's to hoping for a better winter and softer ground next summer.

~Rock

This exactly matches a practice drill that I use a LOT - a short flop over a bunker to try to create a makeable putt.

I have confidence that I can get this one close so I'd just play it like I drill it.

Ken

Play a flop shot aiming at the pin and landing it short of it. This should have the ball rolling below the hole leaving an uphill putt for par.

Back