TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see that the AW has ATV technology

It does. It is extremely similar to the ATV wedge.

Posted via tapatalk.

The specs on taylormades website say only the SW & LW have the ATV sole, however looking at pictures of it, it does look pretty similar to an ATV wedge.

wanted to get some opinions from fellow THP'ers on this club. As I stated b4, I purchased a 5i in Reg Flex Graphite to test. I currently use CG16 Black Pearls in Reg flex graphite. My current 5i is good for 170. With the RocketBladez yardage is 155ish. ???? Would I be better off a> changing to a Stiff Flex Graphite? b> going to the std Steel Shaft Reg? I like the feel and overall playability of the RocketBladez but not if I'm going to lose 10-15 yards!!! Always used graphite but I've reading that my swing speed and yardage from 150 also puts me into the "stiff" category?

7i swing speed 75 mph (for info purposes my Driver swing is 91.7)
Swing tempo timing of 0.9 to 1.2 seconds
Current CG16 club yardage 7=147 6=160 5=170
current ball flight is fairly high (I leave divots in greens sometimes) and I play a cut

Thanks, Jack

Last edited:
wanted to get some opinions from fellow THP'ers on this club. As I stated b4, I purchased a 5i in Reg Flex Graphite to test. I currently use CG16 Black Pearls in Reg flex graphite. My current 5i is good for 170. With the RocketBladez yardage is 155ish. ???? Would I be better off a> changing to a Stiff Flex Graphite? b> going to the std Steel Shaft Reg? I like the feel and overall playability of the RocketBladez but not if I'm going to lose 10-15 yards!!! Always used graphite but I've reading that my swing speed and yardage from 150 also puts me into the "stiff" category?

7i swing speed 75 mph (for info purposes my Driver swing is 91.7)
Swing tempo timing of 0.9 to 1.2 seconds
Current CG16 club yardage 7=147 6=160 5=170

Thanks, Jack
This has to be a shaft issue. I wouldn't presume to advise you which way to go on the shaft, that's probably best left to a professional fitter.

As an FYI my driver SS is @95 and my SS with the 7i was @83. Per the launch monitor I was flying the 7i 150 and getting total yardage of 160. And honestly, I don't think I was really putting too good a swing on it, and think I may have inadvertently been choking down on it a bit. The point being, you should be seeing more distance. So I am thinking either your swing was off that day or you don't have the right shaft, probably the latter.

That is pretty interesting Jack, I don't know what to say on why you'd be 15 yards shorter with the RocketBladez. How many shots are we talking about, would you say you've got enough swings in to think that is a legit difference in yards? Something definitely doesn't seem right to me. Your swing speed data probably puts you right on the border between S and R. Even still I don't think the shaft would have that much of an impact, and you're playing similar (enough) shafts in the CG16 as the one you put in the RocketBladez. I guess I'd recommend going to the golf shop and demoing the RocketBladez with other shafts to see if you can figure out what's up.

How as the ball flight compared to what you get with the CG16? I'm just trying to figure out why that would be....but stranger things have happened, it could just be that the RocketBladez is not the iron for you.

This has to be a shaft issue. I wouldn't presume to advise you which way to go on the shaft, that's probably best left to a professional fitter.

As an FYI my driver SS is @95 and my SS with the 7i was @83. Per the launch monitor I was flying the 7i 150 and getting total yardage of 160. And honestly, I don't think I was really putting too good a swing on it, and think I may have inadvertently been choking down on it a bit. The point being, you should be seeing more distance. So I am thinking either your swing was off that day or you don't have the right shaft, probably the latter.

TKapp, just the type of response I'm looking for. Not able to get on a monitor and having to get as much info as possible to assist with tinkering. Yes I thought the same (bad day) but have had 2 days on the course and same results. So I'm "guessing" that indeed a shaft/flex issue. On a couple of the holes I "flushed" the RocketBladez and was totally amazed at the yardage. I must add that it's been consistent tho. 150-155 without fail
Thanks for the input.

That is pretty interesting Jack, I don't know what to say on why you'd be 15 yards shorter with the RocketBladez. How many shots are we talking about, would you say you've got enough swings in to think that is a legit difference in yards? Something definitely doesn't seem right to me. Your swing speed data probably puts you right on the border between S and R. Even still I don't think the shaft would have that much of an impact, and you're playing similar (enough) shafts in the CG16 as the one you put in the RocketBladez. I guess I'd recommend going to the golf shop and demoing the RocketBladez with other shafts to see if you can figure out what's up.

How as the ball flight compared to what you get with the CG16? I'm just trying to figure out why that would be....but stranger things have happened, it could just be that the RocketBladez is not the iron for you.
Hey Puttin4bird. Yeah so far I've played 2 rounds with the first round almost entirely using the 5i even when the shot called for something else. I'd say around 40-50 shots now. Ball flight has been what I'm used to, maybe a bit higher than my CG16s. And of course there is the "not the right iron" for my swing either.
Thanks

Here is a little more information regarding the earlier discussion of ATV technology vs. ATV wedges. I spoke w/ a TM phone rep this morning and they said both clubs use the ATV technology, both have the ATV versatility, etc., and if there was any difference it would be that the Bladez SW would be easier to hit and more forgiving than the ATV because it is cast (whereas ATV is forged). I'm not saying that is correct, just passing along what was stated.

In looking closely at the irons it appears to me the ATV has a flange (for lack of a better term) out toward the toe whereas the ATV's flange is centered:
rbladez_s_sole_hero_wide.jpg

ATVWedge_Sole_hero_wide.jpg

Tracking number received! Tee times made! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a little more information regarding the earlier discussion of ATV technology vs. ATV wedges. I spoke w/ a TM phone rep this morning and they said both clubs use the ATV technology, both have the ATV versatility, etc., and if there was any difference it would be that the Bladez SW would be easier to hit and more forgiving than the ATV because it is cast (whereas ATV is forged). I'm not saying that is correct, just passing along what was stated.

In looking closely at the irons it appears to me the ATV has a flange (for lack of a better term) out toward the toe whereas the ATV's flange is centered:
rbladez_s_sole_hero_wide.jpg

ATVWedge_Sole_hero_wide.jpg
Interesting observation on the "flange," curious to see the reasoning behind it being more at the toe vs center. My initial thoughts would be htat it would center once you opened up the face, as most people do with a flop shot. Good investigating though!

I finally got a chance to hit these today. My 6iron is my 175-180 club right now. That is what I expect out of a well struck swing. First swing the the rocketbladez, I had a carry of 184. I was impressed. I looked at the sole just to check it out, it was the 7iron. Mind blown.

I took 20 swings with the 7 iron. They are now on my radar, heavily. I want to check out the Tours, but the standard set could be a game changer.

This is how those 20 swings went.
Spoiler
2012-12-03104314.jpg

Dang BG, you are getting a lot of rollout it looks like? Those are some awesome numbers. These things seem like they could be a game changer for a lot of people

Dang BG, you are getting a lot of rollout it looks like? Those are some awesome numbers. These things seem like they could be a game changer for a lot of people

It was in a sim. I don't care about the roll out. Just the carry. But even still, those are insane to me. I couldn't believe those carry numbers.

It was in a sim. I don't care about the roll out. Just the carry. But even still, those are insane to me. I couldn't believe those carry numbers.

Ya those are awesome numbers. How did they feel to you?

Ya those are awesome numbers. How did they feel to you?

A little clunky actually, but that might have been because of the matt in the sim. I have a feeling that on grass they would feel great.

A little clunky actually, but that might have been because of the matt in the sim. I have a feeling that on grass they would feel great.

IMO, your feeling is right. I really like the turf interaction I've been seeing. They're also not any bigger than my i20's to my eye and I really like that fact.

I would like to feel them on some grass. I think it would definately change how they feel. Plus, in the hitting bay, they sounded a little "thudish". That doesn't change the numbers, but the since feel is sound, it affected the feel.

I would like to feel them on some grass. I think it would definately change how they feel. Plus, in the hitting bay, they sounded a little "thudish". That doesn't change the numbers, but the since feel is sound, it affected the feel.

You know this statement makes me smile!

Its certainly a different and more clicky tone in the slotted irons, but I've actually gotten used to it. Doesn't bother me nearly like I was afraid it would coming into this since I'm such a sound oriented player.

Also want to make it known, I wasn't trying to show off my "distance". I was trying to show that I was getting 6i numbers with a 7i.

Also want to make it known, I wasn't trying to show off my "distance". I was trying to show that I was getting 6i numbers with a 7i.

Whatever, you're just a big ole internet golfer. Hehehe

The only reason I wanted to be a tester was to have an excuse to post my launch monitor numbers ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

pssst.

They had the sim dialed down. I usually hit my 7 iron around 275 yards, all carry with some back sing on the green. Don't hate me because I'm a long hitter.

Says the guy who almost hit the THP Tour Van with a pull hooked 3 hybrid.

pssst.

They had the sim dialed down. I usually hit my 7 iron around 275 yards, all carry with some back sing on the green. Don't hate me because I'm a long hitter.

Says the guy who almost hit the THP Tour Van with a pull hooked 3 hybrid.

HAHAHA!!! IOWA!

In other news, its a windy sucker out there but I think that will be good to see what the Rocketbladez/KBS-Tour combo can do out in it. Plus, its going to be like 80 out there.

HAHAHA!!! IOWA!

In other news, its a windy sucker out there but I think that will be good to see what the Rocketbladez/KBS-Tour combo can do out in it. Plus, its going to be like 80 out there.

Ok Tom Joad. Have fun in your blustery dust bowl.

Back