WARNING: Mizuno MP-64

Philo

Reaction score
Handicap
Do not hit the Mizuno MP-64 unless you are ready to buy on the spot. Unbelievable feel, superb ball flight, and reasonably tolerant of slight misses to the toe or thin. The last clubs I hit that felt this good were Hogan Apex from the early '90s. The MP-64 head with a PX 5.5 seemed perfect for me.

I was getting my range clubs re-gripped (two lonely 6 irons purchased for $10 from a demo bin) and asked the salesman if I could hit some clubs while I waited. Tried the MP-64, MP-69, MP-59, Ping Anser (new model), and Tour Stage X-Blade 705 (basically a Bridgestone J40 cavity back). The MP-64 was in a class by itself.

Slight misses to the toe and thin cost little in terms of distance - trajectory suffered as one would expect. Slight misses to the heel were punished harder in both distance and trajectory. I found it quite a bit harder to produce consistent trajectory with the MP-69. This is to be expected for sure but I was surprised at the difference. I was likewise surprised that the MP-59 felt rather dead by comparison. I've owned more Ping clubs in the last 25 years than any other brand and was excited to try the new Anser. It was a let down in both looks and feel. I noticed no difference in performance from the i20s I'm currently playing and the i20s actually feel more pleasing to me. The Tour Stage felt solid but seemed to be a little less forgiving out toward the toe. Thin shots were affected about the same as the MP-64. It had a stock Nippon shaft so I couldn't really get an apples to apples comparison with the shaft I had settled on in the Mizzy clubs.

I was surprised how effortless it was to work the ball to the left, flight it down, or both. I can do this with my i20s but it seems I have to be more conscious about doing so. With the 64s, I just visualized what I wanted, set up, and swung away. Some might say this is a blinding flash of the obvious. I was not surprised that is was easier to work the ball with MP64 than the i20 - I was surprised at the magnitude of the difference. Other than trouble shots I rarely flight the ball left to right intentionally with my irons so I didn't try that. I'm sure somebody with talent would find it quite easy to fade the ball with authority.

My swing is kind of all around moderate: slow-mod tempo, mid release, 86ish mph swing speed with 6 iron. I had no trouble getting the ball airborne and suspect I would find the same in the 5 iron. North of 5 iron I'd probably go with hybrid or perhaps try a MP-H4 or JPX 825 pro.

After the grip work was done, I paid and ran to my vehicle like a teenager that had just been caught peeking in the girls locker room by the principal. I knew if I stayed any longer an order would have been placed and I would have had some explaining to do to Mrs. Claus.

Nice to hear you found something that good! Go hit them again, if the feeling is as great it was at the first time, put an order in :)

How did it compare to the MP-59s?

Nice. Thanks for the recap. I really do miss my Mizunos. I've always had more luck with the 60 series than the 50 too.

After that write up I'm predicting you'll have them no later than March 31st. Enjoy your new sticks.

Congrats on finding the clubs for you. That was the easy part. Now, the real work begins! Mrs. Claus!!! Best of luck with that!!!

Nice little wright up.
I hit the 64's and the Pro 825's a couple weeks ago.
Both felt great.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, one thing you forgot to mention, they are so sessy looking.
MP64PJCTXSTL!16148-18591_d.jpg

Interesting thoughts. I thought the JPX pro felt as good as the 64's myself.

Nice writeup, I love the looks of forged irons but cannot hit them for my life

I also liked these when I was trying out a fairway wood recently. The guy handed me one to warm up with, then I tried the 59, and I liked the 59 a tad better. They both felt great, but, one of the reasons, apart from funding, that I haven't changed from my T-Zoid pros was that I haven't found anything that felt as good as they do. The 64s were the closest I had found until I hit the 59. Bingo! For me feeling was basically identical to my pros. Either way, tho, would be a fantastic choice. I didn't try the 825 pro but the 800 pro, and they felt as good as the 64s to me.

I loved these as well. My favorite irons on the shelf actually. They're just gonna be a wee bit too expensive still next April when I replace my irons.

Nice to hear you found something that good! Go hit them again, if the feeling is as great it was at the first time, put an order in :)

How did it compare to the MP-59s?

CH--

I am afraid I didn't hit enough balls with the MP-59 to give a very credible comparison. Based on the shots I did hit, I would say that if the MP-59 are more forgiving, the difference is imperceptible. Also, I found that the MP-64 launched the ball on a better trajectory (for me - with the PX 5.0 and 5.5 shafts). I felt that the MP64 felt much better on flushed shots. A flushed ball with the MP-59 felt about like my i20s which is not bad just different. Feedback on misses was basically the same. It was easier to turn the ball left or keep it down with the MP-64.

In the spirit of transparency, I hit the MP-59s last and by that time was completely hooked by the MP-64s. It is entirely possible I was sub-consciously being extra critical of the MP-59s to maintain 'fanboy' momentum.

After that write up I'm predicting you'll have them no later than March 31st. Enjoy your new sticks.

Local pro shop came in well below 'retail' even after the slight upcharge for the PX shaft so apparently it will be March 31st in a couple of weeks...

I also liked the 64 from a feel perseptive much more. I also think they look better as I am not a fan of the titanium insert there, the color just dosent jive with me. These are purely me nit picking, but for over a G for irons I can do that. I found that the 64 had a much crisper sound when struck nicely and feel off the face was a tad softer too. These are really nice and when put side by side by the x forged coming, makes a tough decision...

Mizuno does make some amazing irons. I have been very impressed with many of their sets over the last few years. Not many irons can match the way these feel at contact. Glad you found a set you like!

Amazing irons.
The MP64 just felt so good with a bit of added distance over my MP59.
Now I really know why Luke switched over from his MP59 after only a year.
It has better feel and more distance. And don't forget, the MP59 is no slouch in both.

Cool to see you found a club you like that gives you confidence.

Has anybody who has tried the 59 or 64 also played the 58? There are a few good deals right now and have been thinking about picking up a set.

Do not hit the Mizuno MP-64 unless you are ready to buy on the spot. Unbelievable feel, superb ball flight, and reasonably tolerant of slight misses to the toe or thin. The last clubs I hit that felt this good were Hogan Apex from the early '90s. The MP-64 head with a PX 5.5 seemed perfect for me.

I was getting my range clubs re-gripped (two lonely 6 irons purchased for $10 from a demo bin) and asked the salesman if I could hit some clubs while I waited. Tried the MP-64, MP-69, MP-59, Ping Anser (new model), and Tour Stage X-Blade 705 (basically a Bridgestone J40 cavity back). The MP-64 was in a class by itself.

Slight misses to the toe and thin cost little in terms of distance - trajectory suffered as one would expect. Slight misses to the heel were punished harder in both distance and trajectory. I found it quite a bit harder to produce consistent trajectory with the MP-69. This is to be expected for sure but I was surprised at the difference. I was likewise surprised that the MP-59 felt rather dead by comparison. I've owned more Ping clubs in the last 25 years than any other brand and was excited to try the new Anser. It was a let down in both looks and feel. I noticed no difference in performance from the i20s I'm currently playing and the i20s actually feel more pleasing to me. The Tour Stage felt solid but seemed to be a little less forgiving out toward the toe. Thin shots were affected about the same as the MP-64. It had a stock Nippon shaft so I couldn't really get an apples to apples comparison with the shaft I had settled on in the Mizzy clubs.

I was surprised how effortless it was to work the ball to the left, flight it down, or both. I can do this with my i20s but it seems I have to be more conscious about doing so. With the 64s, I just visualized what I wanted, set up, and swung away. Some might say this is a blinding flash of the obvious. I was not surprised that is was easier to work the ball with MP64 than the i20 - I was surprised at the magnitude of the difference. Other than trouble shots I rarely flight the ball left to right intentionally with my irons so I didn't try that. I'm sure somebody with talent would find it quite easy to fade the ball with authority.

My swing is kind of all around moderate: slow-mod tempo, mid release, 86ish mph swing speed with 6 iron. I had no trouble getting the ball airborne and suspect I would find the same in the 5 iron. North of 5 iron I'd probably go with hybrid or perhaps try a MP-H4 or JPX 825 pro.

After the grip work was done, I paid and ran to my vehicle like a teenager that had just been caught peeking in the girls locker room by the principal. I knew if I stayed any longer an order would have been placed and I would have had some explaining to do to Mrs. Claus.
LOL...thats why Im afraid to try out Mizuno's latest clubs. Im afraid that Im going to try them, love them and convince myself that I need to have them. Dont get me wrong, Im still going to try them. LOL

Amazing irons.
The MP64 just felt so good with a bit of added distance over my MP59.
Now I really know why Luke switched over from his MP59 after only a year.
It has better feel and more distance. And don't forget, the MP59 is no slouch in both.

I see you have the MP53 4i in your bag. How do you like it?

I start to run out of schlitz in lower offset/thinner soled clubs at the 4i point and am considering getting a MP53 while still available or perhaps at JPX 850 pro.

The MP-64 head with a PX 5.5 seemed perfect for me.

Tried the MP-64, MP-69, MP-59, Ping Anser (new model), and Tour Stage X-Blade 705 (basically a Bridgestone J40 cavity back). The MP-64 was in a class by itself.

I was likewise surprised that the MP-59 felt rather dead by comparison.

You and I sound like we had the same experiences, although I went with the MP69s. I don't believe the MP64s had been released yet when I purchased mine in August-ish.

But I had the overall similar experiences. I got the PX 5.5 shafts and its a thing of beauty watching the ball just rise and rise and then just drop dead onto the green. I went also went in to try some other clubs, was looking at the TM R11 irons, JPX800s, Titleist AP1s and happened to pick up the MP69 just to play with while i was waiting for the staff member to help someone with something. I couldn't believe how easy it was to hit for a blade and how forgiving it was. I was actually striking better with it than any of the others I'd demo'd. I also looked at the MP59s thinking I still needed more forgiveness and it just felt dead and not that forgiving at all IMO. I immediately went with the MP69s and haven't looked back.

I also only got up to the 5i and use an MP Fli Hi long iron replacement iron for my 2-4 irons. Since they came with stock Project X 5.5 shafts I was able to save about $50-$75 in upcharges for shaft replacements.

You and I sound like we had the same experiences, although I went with the MP69s. I don't believe the MP64s had been released yet when I purchased mine in August-ish.

I also only got up to the 5i and use an MP Fli Hi long iron replacement iron for my 2-4 irons. Since they came with stock Project X 5.5 shafts I was able to save about $50-$75 in upcharges for shaft replacements.

How do you like the FLI-HI clubs? I've tried the MP H4 demo and am not sure it is the answer although I will probably head in and give it another try. I have a 23 degree hybrid that can fill in as a 4i but liked having an actual 4i in with my i20s - especially in the wind.

Philo, I'm very interested in the mp-64's, I hit one the other day but the only X shaft available at the time was a kbs and it was in a dome and off a mat, living in upstate ny blows this time of year for golf. everything i'm hearing about this club is that it maybe the best feeling club they've ever made (obviously not counting the 69 and it predicessors). probably why luke switched from the 59's, which i'm sure he only used for a minute because mizz wanted to sell some stuff. anyways, i demoed the 59 -6 iron with an x100 in it during 3 rounds a few months ago and i liked it a lot. how would you compare the 64 to it?

I played ping i15's when they first came out and liked them a lot, but halfway through this past season i picked up an old set of 690 cb's because i was getting inconsistent distances with the i15's. Don't get me wrong the i15 gave me at least a club maybe a club and a half of extra distance, but i seem to get the occossional flyer. the cb's i picked up are maybe a club short than the i15's but the distances for me are more consistent. That's why i haven't hit the i20's... well yet. did you have the i15's? be very interested in your thoughts on that comparison. i'm very steep to the ball with my irons, and I've read that there is more bounce on the i20's than the i15's which i guess is better for diggers.

i'm trying to help narrow my options to a few and if you have any opinions that would be great:
mp 59
mp 64
712 cb
i20
s56

I see you have the MP53 4i in your bag. How do you like it?

I start to run out of schlitz in lower offset/thinner soled clubs at the 4i point and am considering getting a MP53 while still available or perhaps at JPX 850 pro.

Well, obviously it will be better to try both the JPX and the MP53 and see for yourself.
(Btw the new 850 pro goes a mile!)

Personally, I got fed up with big draws and hooks with the Burner 2.0 hybrid and had to go with another option.
The MP53 with the KBS shaft is lovely.

i'm trying to help narrow my options to a few and if you have any opinions that would be great:
mp 59
mp 64
712 cb
i20
s56

Reload, I haven't yet hit the full set of MP 64s so can't comment extensively. I did however hit the demo club multiple times after the love fest about which I originally wrote. My previous opinion remains valid and I can't wait to get them.

My time with the MP59 was also detailed in a follow-up to this. I did not find the feel pleasing and if they are more forgiving due to the more substantial sole and Ti insert, I couldn't tell the difference. That said, they are very popular and you'd be best to seek a second opinion on them.

Since the original DCI black, I've never found a Titleist club that I got along with well.

I had substantial experience with the i20 and S56 this year.

I hit the S56s like Ben Hogan off a mat and good flat fairway lie but could never put together consistency from trickier situations. I also found them to be not quite as forgiving as you might think given their rather healthy (by 'players cavity' standards) cavity. I think, in the end, the sole configuration didn't fit my swing so off they went.

I just sold my i20s after using them most of last year. GREAT clubs. Quite forgiving with reasonable feedback as to misses and reasonable workability. More than any club I've used, they play drastically different off a demo mat than from the turf. Do not judge the i20 solely based on demoing from a mat. I have also demoed the Anser and wouldn't for one second consider playing them over the i20. I think the i20 feels better and they look about the same.

I was not looking to switch when I hit the MP 64, I was simply killing time. However, after I hit it and saw the ball flight, I knew I would. It is immeasurably better looking at address (to me) and that matters some. I am able to work the ball more easily and that matters some as I enjoy trying to do that on many shots. The sole works through the turf wonderfully and that matters lots. It is certainly not SGI forgiving but it does allow reasonable misses - especially toward the toe and thin - and that matters a lot. Its feedback is superb which matters a little. It has very low dispersion on well struck shots which matters a lot. Finally, the pleasure of a purely struck shot by a forged club with most of its mass behind the ball simply cannot be matched.

In the end, if score were the only thing that mattered to me, I would probably still be hitting the i20s. They are excellent in many ways and good enough in most others. However, while handicap and improvement are important to me, I'm not a tournament golfer. I am willing to give up the two shots a round it MIGHT cost me (and that is debatable) in the short term to have increased workability and even more so the satisfaction that comes from the 3 or 4 shots a round that are purely struck.

Hope that helps.

Back