How long would it take?

trololo-lolo-trololo.jpg

Damnit JT... JT stole my computer. Lol.

0 hours. I'm actually secretely Kevin Stadler.....

Yeah? And I'm Michelle Wie... Don't believe me then just ask DawgDaddy or armygolfer77.

I think that it would take less time than many think if we were going purely off of developing a skill set here. As several have said though, what makes or breaks them is the mental game. Sadly 99.9 percent of us just don't have that part of our brains developed enough.

I wish Thainer would come back in here and really explain and lay out his plan if he's serious or not.

I'm sorry I've been at work all night. Do I think I have what it takes? Yes. I think I could be a middle of the road struggling grinding webcom player in 18 mos. But I don't Have the ability or lifestyle to be able to drop everything and try. I wish I could and I appreciate everybody's thoughts in this thread.

I'm sorry I've been at work all night. Do I think I have what it takes? Yes. I think I could be a middle of the road struggling grinding webcom player in 18 mos. But I don't Have the ability or lifestyle to be able to drop everything and try. I wish I could and I appreciate everybody's thoughts in this thread.

I think to you'd dominate, Thain... FWIW. Sometimes being able to golf isn't the only thing that makes a winner. :act-up:

There's also the Champions tour. I'd love to be able to get good enough to monday qualify for a Champions tour event, not sure I could do it but it would be fun as heck to try.

Studies have shown that to become a professional at any sport it takes 10,000 hours of training to reach the level required

I have read this also, I think they call it the golden hours or something but your right it takes 10,000 hours to get to that level and i'd imagine thats with people who already have great natural ability. I think if you really wanna try mate then go for it, all the best. My brother only wanted to play pro soccer and everyone said he'd never do it and he did, he played for 5 years at a high level then found himself without a club and moved to the US on a scholarship. There were American kids in his team who were the best of the best in their states but when they went to college and played with Scottish kids who were brought up with football as not just an interest but a lifestyle they could not compete with them and thats why some pros will encounter. They will be the best but eventually they will become a small fish in a big pond and can't compete and thats when only the top top top guys make a living at it.
I honestly think you are born with the talent and in some sports such as Tennis and Golf you either have it or you don't because you are on your own and there is no hiding its not like some soccer players or other teams sports where you can hide and you get where you are because you were a hard worker or friends with the coach. We have a saying about football players here that are crap but made it pro "they are stealing a living" thats's one thing you can never say about a golfer.

Last edited:
I remember in high school thinking i might have a chance to make it at least to the minor leagues after college. Unfortunately, my parents ruined my chances. Their terrible genes made me a short, fat, weak armed. Add the fact that even the weakest pitcher made me look like a blind man with the off-speed stuff. Damn parents!

I don't know if you can make it on one of the tours. I do know one of the things that hold many people back; confidence. You don't seem to be lacking in that department. I'm guessing you're the pasty ginger fella in the picture so you're obviously young. What are you doing right now that's so important that you can't find out if you can make it? Kids, family, great job??? Not being a smart ass. You only get the one chance in life. Might as well take that shot before real life catches up with you.

I don't know, man. I think this is the lure of all professional sports...the pros are so damn good they make it look easy, which makes the rest of us believe we could do it. I can't remember the stat exactly but there's a big difference between the average scratch golfer and guys on tour. There might be an exception or two amongst us but generally I don't think it is doable.

I think this is one of those questions that can never really be answered correctly.
Different people, different circumstances, different mental capacities, etc...
I think there are lots of golfers out there that think they can make it on a tour level of some kind and work their tails off to do it.
But sometimes is doesn't matter how good someone thinks they can be, they just hit a plateau that they cannot climb above.

I know it's a huge difference, but heard Greg Norman say last night that it took him less than 2 years from the time he started playing to get to scratch. That's not saying anyone can do that. My point is it's Greg Norman....not normal.

I know it's a huge difference, but heard Greg Norman say last night that it took him less than 2 years from the time he started playing to get to scratch. That's not saying anyone can do that. My point is it's Greg Norman....not normal.

Took me 2 and 1/2

No chance for most in this lifetime

Thain, JT, Zenger......I say just toss up a big (metaphorical) middle finger to anyone who says you can't and go for it!! It's your life and your dream.

Surround yourself with people who tell you what you CAN do versus what you CAN'T do. You'll be doing something other people can't imagine doing, so go be WEIRD!

No one knows when their last day on this planet will be, why not chase your dreams?

Last edited:
Last months Golf Monthly was an interview with Lee Westwood who picked up his first club at 13, was scratch two years later and pro at 19 but that's Lee Westwood and Greg Norman also done it but let's be honest how many people were scratch that quickly and have done nothing, thousands more i bet!

I would say about 2 years. My distance is as good as tour players but I would need much more time on the short game to bring home some $.

I would say about 2 years. My distance is as good as tour players but I would need much more time on the short game to bring home some $.

If your handicap is really 36, I'd say it'd take a bit longer than 2 years.

For those wondering how long it will take, go enter yourself in some amateur tournaments, like your state amateur. That will give you a good read on where you are.

Last months Golf Monthly was an interview with Lee Westwood who picked up his first club at 13, was scratch two years later and pro at 19 but that's Lee Westwood and Greg Norman also done it but let's be honest how many people were scratch that quickly and have done nothing, thousands more i bet!

But that's all they did...no job or anything else....just golf.

For those wondering how long it will take, go enter yourself in some amateur tournaments, like your state amateur. That will give you a good read on where you are.

I think thats the default handicap on the site

But that's all they did...no job or anything else....just golf.

Well I don't know many kids that have a job between the ages of 13-15. He probably did leave school at 16 so even if he did just golf for 3 years still impressive to turn pro that quick never mind be successful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One thing that I think determines whether or not someone will make it is distance off the tee.

I play with a lot of people that are pretty good and we often joke about what it would take to make it to the pros on any level. One thing I always bring up is, "We are playing the men's tees right now. A pro event would be played from the Championship Tees. Typically further back than even the Tips at most courses."

No matter how well a person strikes the ball, that person may only average 250 off the tee for any number of reasons. Thus leaving mid to long irons into most greens. Not necessarily ideal for scoring. (no need to get into the accuracy over distance debate)

Just my two cents.

My handicap is 10.4. I just joined and forgot to update my info. Lmao.

My handicap is 10.4. I just joined and forgot to update my info. Lmao.

Then I'd still say it take longer than 2 years.

It would likely take several years to get from 10.4 to scratch. The distance to get from scratch to PGA-tour level is even larger than that.

I read somewhere (golf digest, golf magazine) that Tiger was a +8 handicap for one of his better years and that the average pro in the top 100 was a +4 or something like that. All these rounds played in tournament conditions with the camera, crowds and pressure, impressive. It would seem like a scratch golfer would have little chance over a four round tournament.

Butch Harmon said that if you don't shoot 66-68 everytime you tee it up at your home course at the tips to forget about pro golf. He said he gets these questions a lot. I'm sure there have been exceptions.

That being said you have to follow your heart and give things a try or you will never know.

Last edited:
I found it interesting while watching big break this season that there was a group of solid players that have won numerous mini tour events, qualified or us open, won a D1 college national championship, and they were consistently under par on every elimination challenge and these guys were all over the moon when winner Mark qualified for the web.com.

Back