do you have a problem deciding which 14 clubs to play with

I saw somewhere online a company makes a 73 degree now; that would be used for absolutely nothing but I still want one haha

Not so sure about that. How about being just outside a greenside bunker you need to carry to a short pin? I dont know but may be nice to pop one up and stick it close with that. Has to be easier than a wide open sand wedge which is what I'll "try" to do now.

For me, not really, I dont have a ton of "extra" clubs that would lead me to ponder changing things up

Not so sure about that. How about being just outside a greenside bunker you need to carry to a short pin? I dont know but may be nice to pop one up and stick it close with that. Has to be easier than a wide open sand wedge which is what I'll "try" to do now.

Rollin have you tried getting your SW loft increased? I have a trusted CG10 56* that I used to open up to act as a LW. Worked fine much of the time but my pro suggested increasing the loft and decreasing the loft on my AW. Best short game decision ever! Now my 57* wedge acts as a great SW and with a hint of an open face works great for lob shots! Now I don't mind missing the green when I am in range! lol ;)

Rollin have you tried getting your SW loft increased? I have a trusted CG10 56* that I used to open up to act as a LW. Worked fine much of the time but my pro suggested increasing the loft and decreasing the loft on my AW. Best short game decision ever! Now my 57* wedge acts as a great SW and with a hint of an open face works great for lob shots! Now I don't mind missing the green when I am in range! lol ;)

No i havnt, not even sure if I can if its cast. But none the less I'll be getting new clubs this winter I hope and the set will now include a lob wedge to help with this and other situations

It's 1w,3w, 3 h, 4i-PW, 52°56°60° W for me

and so with the recent purchase of new clubs, I have decided to drop the 5wood and add the lob wedge. 5w was a fav club of mine but looks like the 3hyb will take its place and fill that gap. And i just wanted the lob wedge in my bag. Espec with the new lower lofts of today it is an inside gap that grew even larger than my already existing one so felt had to have it.

My set will now look like this for the 14. Driver, 3W, 3h, 4h, 5i--pw, gw, sw, Lw and of course putt. The 3 an 4 hyb's are same corresponding lofts as what the 3 n 4 irons would be within that set.

That's pretty much my current setup.

It is a concern for me. Let's up the limit to sixteen clubs, not counting putter:act-up:.

It is a concern for me. Let's up the limit to sixteen clubs, not counting putter:act-up:.

now that ya mention it, I often wonder how, or why they came up with 14. Why not 16? or 12? or whatver? or why not make putter not count? IDK

my current setup is driver,3W,HYBRID,4-PW,52,56,60,Putter...i did take the hybrid out in exchange for another wedge at one point but soon changed back,its a no brainer for me now to have the 2 woods and hybrid as opposed to 3 woods.

i have driver 3w 2h 4-p 50 54 58 and putter and love the setup my 3w is turned down to 14.5 so its more for tight par 4's or short par 4's where hiting a driver would leave me with an uncomfy shot

My setup changes depending on

1. Course im gonna play on
2. What im trying to work on... or feel more confident playing
3. Experiment try something different...

What i sometimes change
3 wood and/or 5 wood ---- im hitting these so good right.. i hate taking either one out of the bag. I dont play with hybrids so i can usually keep both in the bag... however if playing a shorter course ill drop the 3 wood... longer.. drop the 5 wood...

4 iron , 5iron or 2H/4H. ---- i used to play with a 4 hybrid... but ive been hitting my irons so solid lately that ive gone back to the 4iron after having it out of my bag. Sometimes i take out the 5 iron because the gap between 4 and 6 iron is not that big a deal (times of use in a round) vs a scoring club (higher frequency)..... the hybrids have been moving out of my bag as my level of play has gotten better. I have a 2H.. but i rarely use it... if im in the fairway.. i rather use the woods.... if im in the rough..use my 4iron or 6iron and place the ball for a scoring club... i only take the 4H now if im not feeling confident in my iron play..

Wedge Setup -----

60 or a 64

i perfer to play with more wedges because i dont like opening up the face... and perfer hitting full shots vs 3/4 or half shots... But i think it also has alot to do with my wedge play and practice. I need to dedicate more time and practice heree... my setup will change as i get better.
I like to play with a GAP Wedge because i struggle with trying to get same distance on 3/4 swing of the Pitching wedge.
There are 2 courses that i play what have super small elevated green... so ill play with a 64 wedge here and drop the 60...

now that ya mention it, I often wonder how, or why they came up with 14. Why not 16? or 12? or whatver? or why not make putter not count? IDK

The putter didn't count originally back when they used to chip the ball to the hole and at that time they only allowed 13 clubs.

So in 1875 when the first putters came out they just added it to the original 13 to make it the 14 we use today. They chose 13 in the first place because England had the 13 colonies.

I did have a problem deciding what clubs to use until I got my current set. I was always on the fence about what clubs suited me best between my driver and 3 iron. I tried a 3, 4, 5 & 7 wood & a 1, 2, & 3 hybrid. I instantly fell in love with the hybrids but always got more distance with the wood equivalent. I settled on a 15.5* 3 wood & a 19* 3 hybrid. I tried a few different lofted wedges to determine which ones would fill the gaps and trajectories. I love my 60* LW & my 55* SW was the perfect bridge. I've kept this same set up for about a year now.

Not really don't have a ton of spares laying around to make my decisions tougher

I've recently been struggling trying to decide if I should bag my 50* R11 A-wedge or my 52* Cleveland CG14 wedge.
My PW is 45* and my sand wedge is 56*. I like the CG14 better but It makes the gaps a bit uneven.

Last round I took my 16* hybrid out of the bag and put both the 50* and the 52* in the bag. I didn't miss the hybrid at all but any shot around 110-120 yards I had trouble deciding which club to use.
I will keep experimenting and see what I come up with, but it might be time for a new wedge setup like a 54 and a 58.

Not really don't have a ton of spares laying around to make my decisions tougher

yea, I here ya, but just that if/when new clubs may be on the horizon is when it can cause some careful thought about what to purchase. And most that thought and confusing decisions is probably gonna be due to hybrids and all kinds of different degree wedges.

One other option is to have the Cleveland CG14 (since you like it better) bent 1 or 2 degrees strong and leave the R-11 wedge at home, just a thought.

No I do not have an issue choosing....I have extra clubs I use depending on course and like to carry 4 wedges and carry a driver and an adjustable 4 wood that can become basically a 3 or a 5 wood if I need to cover yardage but that driver to 4 wood bridges the gap for me pretty good! rest of bag is 3-9 iron then pw(46*) 50*56*60* and my putter!

I'm with you rollin. I am in the process of switching irons. Early days yet, but the new irons are longer, which is making me rethink the bigger clubs...

Right now putter, 60 deg, 56 deg, AW to 5i.

Then choices! 4, 5 rescues, 5 wood, 3 wood, driver. Obvious choice is to drop the 5 rescue now that there is a 5 iron, although actually looks like the 5 iron might give the 4 rescue a run for its money distance wise....,

Think the only solution is some time on the range, establishing the distances and gaps and working from there...

I'm sure the exercise will mean the only solution is to buy some more shiny new bats......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've brought this back up again because I am having issue with my new set up of sticks. my new set this year now consists of 3 and 4 hybs vs my old set up where they were both irons. My struggles to hit the hybs have been a mess for the most part. I've taken lessons specifically for that reason and yet when on the course I just cant hit the friggin things and I've been trying my but off to do so. Even sacrificing plenty strokes to purposely use them when the situation doesnt even call for it just so i can purposely try to get use to them. It is just not working so i am seriously considering putting my 5w back in my bag and then getting a 4 iron to match my set (fitted match of course) and removing the 3,4hybs.

I got the hybs to get with the times and because they are supose to be easier to hit especially out of the rough etc.. But just not working out and not getting better. In one sense I dont want to give up yet but in another sense I wonder do I really have to have them, did i really ned to get them? I just dont know

No problem with my bag. Everything is perfect for me from top to bottom. Now brands could be swapped in/out from time to time however the way I got my bag setup is a keeper.

Back