TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

I haven't gotten a chance to hit these yet, but I saw a set at the GS the other day and got to good look at the topline. Its not bad at all. Its at the top of my thickness scale, but if I had to game them, I certainly could. But it got my really excited for the Tour model to launch in early '13.

I think it was mentioned before but how much longer is the 4 iron shaft than industry standard? For those of you struggling with it I wonder if it would be of any benefit to shorten the shaft.

Chipped via Tapatalk, never chutted.

Yea, it's a 1/2 inch longer than the 588 4 iron, but I haven't actually bagged a 4 iron for over a year. My hybrids are even longer than that, but much easier for me to hit. I suppose that's what they are there for lol.

I'm still giving it time. It's someting I'd like to have confidence for a little personal satisfaction.

I haven't gotten a chance to hit these yet, but I saw a set at the GS the other day and got to good look at the topline. Its not bad at all. Its at the top of my thickness scale, but if I had to game them, I certainly could. But it got my really excited for the Tour model to launch in early '13.

They are definitely a little chunky at the top for sure. I'm the same as you that it's still a pretty good looking iron. I think they are a huge improvement over the last three generations of GI/Distance irons from Taylormade.

tequila - congrats on what sounds like it was a pretty good round for you. Couple things sort of stood out for me there - first of all, you were able to hit 4/4 par three greens - I know that has a HUGE effect on my score when I play. If I can play the par 3's well, I'm almost always looking at a lower score. Second, you mention a few times where you didn't give your best swing, but were given a decent result - I've seen the same and it's come in handy more than a few times.

Also sounds like you and I are similar with the 4 iron. I just have trouble putting a good swing on it consistently. When I do, the results are good, but I still feel like I can hit a hybrid better. I do wonder how much of it is mental.

Thanks, Hawk.

The round was a story of two 9's. Front 9 I was striking the ball reasonably well but couldn't make a putt to save my life on the slow Chambers' greens. I started having some physical challenges on the back 9 and kind of fell apart.

I think the 4i is certainly starting to become mental; there's no rational reason why I shouldn't be able to hit it. If I wasn't testing I'm pretty sure I know what I would do. But since I am testing the dynamic is different and I need to find a way to provide meaningful feedback. The good news is there's plenty of other stuff to cover first, which buys some time.

For what it's worth, I don't think that you have to force yourself to play an iron that just isn't working. That's not to say that you shouldn't try it out, practice with it, etc, and provide feedback. Hope that makes sense.

I watched a younger guy I know make some incredible passes with the 6 iron last night. He's a + handicap that is on his way to college career. I've actualy written about him here a time or two. He hit them much, much further than I do lol.

Got to have them!

Got to have them!

I have my to do list on a set of these irons. The RBZ irons are hawt and have been really good to me however you testers have won me over. It may be after Christmas before these hit the bag however they are definitely on the to do list :thumb:

I wish you lived closer, Big Bill. We could go get our RocketBladez on together.

They are definitely a little chunky at the top for sure. I'm the same as you that it's still a pretty good looking iron. I think they are a huge improvement over the last three generations of GI/Distance irons from Taylormade.

Yeah, but i didn't think it was anything like the RBZ's that I set down and looked down on either. They did a really good job with the top line of the club. But then I did put down a Cally Razr MB, and instantly though the RB looked like a shovel...lol But to your point of the improvement over the last few GI/Distance irons, these are a borderline revolution in looks.

I have my to do list on a set of these irons. The RBZ irons are hawt and have been really good to me however you testers have won me over. It may be after Christmas before these hit the bag however they are definitely on the to do list :thumb:

First the AMP driver, now the RocketBladez. That's a serious ponder list :bashful: You are about 70% toward having a seriously nice bag (joking - see my bag).

I wish you lived closer, Big Bill. We could go get our RocketBladez on together.

That would be way too cool! Well it would be (cool) up your way :D. Move to Georgia buddy and we could tee it up all the time :golf2:

Yea, I think I'd be the one moving haha.

First the AMP driver, now the RocketBladez. That's a serious ponder list :bashful: You are about 70% toward having a seriously nice bag (joking - see my bag).

Yep, we would be brothers from another Mother :D! Your bag looks awesome dude :thumb:

Man this thread is just exploding and its hard to keep up when you let some time slide by. Great job everyone and sounds like a good winner for TM (sort of expected now!) I may have missed it but has anyone compared these to the RBZ line at all? Again, apologize if it's in here but would love to be directed to the conversation if so. Thanks!

I know that there are people that have tried both, but I can't pinpoint the posts, Nate.

Man this thread is just exploding and its hard to keep up when you let some time slide by. Great job everyone and sounds like a good winner for TM (sort of expected now!) I may have missed it but has anyone compared these to the RBZ line at all? Again, apologize if it's in here but would love to be directed to the conversation if so. Thanks!

I think it was invisible .
On Friday I was at the driving range working on my swing and I get a phone call from Roger Dunn telling me my RocketBladez are in. A week earlier then promised. :bananadance:I debated picking them up being that I was playing my second ever tournament on Saturday and on Sunday I was playing the Stadium Course at PGA West rated the 4th toughest course in the US. It didn't take very long for me to decide to pick them up and use them for the weekend.

Anyway, I thought I would give a little feedback on my experience.
On Saturday my nerves got the best of me and I blew the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] hole with 2 OB shots for a 10. After I composed myself things started to click. I ended up with 5 birdies and taking 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] place missing 1[SUP]st[/SUP] by one stroke. I also took 7 skins.

Sunday was not about competition so I came in a little more relaxed. I walked off 18 with a 90 which I don’t think is too shabby for the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] hardest course in the US.

As stated earlier these irons are very forgiving. Even missed shots didn’t stray too far. The feel of the ball of the face is just incredible. The distances where pretty close to what I had with the RBZ’s. More importantly the 4 and 5 iron were much easier to hit for me then the RBZ 4 and 5. In a nut shell I'm very satisfied with these irons and I look forward to gaming them for quite a while.

Nice. Thanks for referencing that, C-Mac.

I think it was invisible .
Well, that one sentence about the RBZ irons was a quick read....LOL! Thanks for that repost. But I also thought the RBZ irons were pretty forgiving as well. Just was wondering what the major difference was, if any, to the RBZ irons. Mainly just the 4 and 5 iron difference?

Well, that one sentence about the RBZ irons was a quick read....LOL! Thanks for that repost. But I also thought the RBZ irons were pretty forgiving as well. Just was wondering what the major difference was, if any, to the RBZ irons. Mainly just the 4 and 5 iron difference?

The RBZ are forgiving. I really wish I can explain it but those 2 irons just feel different to me to swing versus the RBZ. I felt as if I had more control with the Bladez. With the RBZ's I would hit more fat or thin misses. To be honest the AW-6 felt almost identical to the RBZ. To be far I do have different shafts in the Bladez which may explain it.

Nate - I couldn't get solid shots off with the RBZ irons at the AC van stop. I didn't like the look at address, I didn't like the feel, and I didn't like the turf interaction. They Rocketbladez have some subtle differences that really produce an entirely different experience for me.

So, I actually did get out again last Saturday and walked 18, been a LONG time since I've walked without a push cart...but I digress...hahaha

My damn iron swing has been all over the place recently, I managed to card a 77 by the end of the round but I was coming up and out of a LOT of shots, this led to a lot of thin ones as well. From that though I was still seeing good distance out of them but more importantly they were still going straight.

The 4i also decided that I had apparently been talking too much good about it and it was time for a lesson to be taught, I struggled terrible with it both off the deck and off the tee, everything left and short. Heaven knows where my swing was but it was enough to frustrate me. I still stand by liking the 4i a LOT though, bad days just happen from time to time.

The 6/7 irons are my favorite in the set right now, I'm truly hitting some high and long shots that land with soft feet into greens. To the point where I'm actually gaining more and more confidence at taking aim at sections of the green rather than just center or on the surface somewhere much like I am with my i20's, its a confidence thing. I know they are long, but they are surprisingly forgiving for me so far and that's what I like the most.

The 8-PW are still much the same as far as my thoughts go, they play like the 2.0 8-PW did for me but I might actually like the turf interaction a bit better on them all things being honest (when I stay the crap DOWN, ugh). The AW has grown on me being honest, I had a REALLY good day with it into greens, its just pretty and HIGH for me. Not sure if it merits replacing my normal gap wedge, but by the same token I have no major knocks on it yet, plus its a blast out of the sand for me.

Hopefully I'll get out this Thursday and Friday as we are supposed to get out of the 30's and back into the 60's, good stuff.

The 4i also decided that I had apparently been talking too much good about it and it was time for a lesson to be taught, I struggled terrible with it both off the deck and off the tee, everything left and short. Heaven knows where my swing was but it was enough to frustrate me. I still stand by liking the 4i a LOT though, bad days just happen from time to time.

The 6/7 irons are my favorite in the set right now, I'm truly hitting some high and long shots that land with soft feet into greens. To the point where I'm actually gaining more and more confidence at taking aim at sections of the green rather than just center or on the surface somewhere much like I am with my i20's, its a confidence thing. I know they are long, but they are surprisingly forgiving for me so far and that's what I like the most.
One thing I have been thinking about after the round Sunday is how the club's extra distance potentially impacts course management. I typically play at tees which are in the 6600 range or less. At this level it is pretty common to see par 4s be 400 yards +/- 20 yards. For example, 16 of the 21 par 4's at the two courses I play most often fit this description. I hit my 3W in the 230ish range. So for most par 4's I should be able to comfortably play 3W and 6i or 7i. Considering how high these irons fly the ball and how gently they come down - potentially moving them closer to the scoring club category - that could be a real game changer.

Hey guys, I had a chance to see the R1 Driver this weekend. Is there a thread on that yet? My initial thoughts are that the top is UGLY, but maybe it will grow on me. Lost of cool engineering though as far as adjustments go. Fairway woods re-worked too, and will be called RBZ 2 (I think).

One thing I have been thinking about after the round Sunday is how the club's extra distance potentially impacts course management. I typically play at tees which are in the 6600 range or less. At this level it is pretty common to see par 4s be 400 yards +/- 20 yards. For example, 16 of the 21 par 4's at the two courses I play most often fit this description. I hit my 3W in the 230ish range. So for most par 4's I should be able to comfortably play 3W and 6i or 7i. Considering how high these irons fly the ball and how gently they come down - potentially moving them closer to the scoring club category - that could be a real game changer.

tequila, that's a very interesting observation, which I think I subliminally made myself over the weekend when I bought a new RBZ 3W to compliment the Rocketbladez I'm testing. The club I belong to is 6321yds from the Blue's with most par 4's around that 400yd mark (the average is 380yds). With my 3W average around 245, I have now limited my driver to 4 holes. The accuracy I'm initially seeing with the Rocketbaldez, especially on mis-hits, should theoretically lead to much better scores as long as I don't have too many blow up holes! So far, I've loved the feel of the 6i-AW and can see my accuracy getting dialed in over the next few months of range sessions and practice. The forgiveness in the Rocketbladez combined with the nice high/soft ball flight should help me hold more greens as well. Let me know how you make out in the next few rounds and I'll be sure to do the same, going to work on a new gameplan now for my round on Sat.

Back