Chromax Distance - Forum Testing Review Thread

Good write up on the 2nd 9 afwcardinal.....good thoughts TH!

I think most of us are in agreement that the biggest problem this ball faces is not performance, it's price.

I think most of us are in agreement that the biggest problem this ball faces is not performance, it's price.

Spot on Timmy! I think it performs similar to most 2-piece ball, but is priced too high for one. Hopefully Nate and Cookie can try these things out when I head back to Dallas and give a couple thoughts

The price definitely is an issue. Quantity as well. Who just buys two sleeves of balls?

The price definitely is an issue. Quantity as well. Who just buys two sleeves of balls?

I guess if you find everything except what's in the water then 2 sleeves is plenty.

I have one lost one so far.....granted I haven't played it exclusively either.

Yes sir, I couldn't justify $26 for 6 2 piece, none urethane balls. Heck I get my trusty RX for about $30 for a dozen. I really do like the cool colors and visibility but like I've said earlier I'm not much of a fan of the ball cover, just from a few days of short game stuff-mostly putting by the way, the ball is already more scuffed than any ball I've every played with. That's a first for me

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

I guess if you find everything except what's in the water then 2 sleeves is plenty.

I have one lost one so far.....granted I haven't played it exclusively either.

Also true. I haven't lost one either but I'm using them on holes where there's little risk to lose them while I went through putter through mid irons. Now that I'm getting into the long clubs, there's a bigger chance. For us though, two sleeves is plenty. For a consumer though, I'd like to see a dozen around that 25-30 price range.

Also true. I haven't lost one either but I'm using them on holes where there's little risk to lose them while I went through putter through mid irons. Now that I'm getting into the long clubs, there's a bigger chance. For us though, two sleeves is plenty. For a consumer though, I'd like to see a dozen around that 25-30 price range.

I would agree with that as well.

Most 2 piece distance balls are under $20...NXT's and E-series in the mid 20's.....I would say $24.99 a dozen would put them in the right ballpark

I would agree with that as well.

Most 2 piece distance balls are under $20...NXT's and E-series in the mid 20's.....I would say $24.99 a dozen would put them in the right ballpark

Totally agree fellas, would move well in this range imo.

LtEvO TaPpEd In

I was thinking about the price on these today and decided that Chromax priced these balls higher than most 2 piece balls due only to the visibilty of these balls. This time of year it becomes hard to see a little white golf ball because of the seasons we are in. We tend to lose more balls in the fall/winter months and that since the chromax balls are so easy to find, other than in the pond or river, that most golfers would actually save money by buying these. You know, now that I have had these on the course that I believe this to be the case. I had no problem seeing these balls no matter where I hit them. I have actually lost multiple balls from the tee box before during this time of year. You know what I mean, hit the provisional because you lost the first one hitting into the sun, only to get down where you think you balls have landed and you can't find either one. I hit multiple balls into the sun yesterday and never worried about finding the chromax, yet I was worried I had lost the callaway one time.
This would lend to the price point here. Being able to keep a single ball in play through out the entire round. Not that is is cost savings in the long run.

Testing date: 12/18/12
Conditions: Mostly Sunny, Little breezy, 59 degrees
Normal Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX Optic Yellow
Testing Ball: Chromax Distance Green

I was able to play 9 holes this afternoon on my regular course, Bentwater Golf Club. It was cart path only after the past day and a half of rain, but it was still nice to get out. I did not warm up but a few shots, then off to the first tee. I played the Green Chromax, and pulled it just slightly to the left and caught the rough. You can barely see it in the distance in the pic:

8285202431_36eae642ce.jpg

8286260230_611a75c785.jpg

I could see the ball from the other side of the fairway where the cart path runs. The drive felt good, but was a few yards shorter than normal.

From there I hit 6 iron, 6 iron to the side of the green, then two putted. The one thing I noticed was that as I was putting my ball back, on the green, it was almost difficult to get it stay where I set it without wobbling. I do not know if this was the ball, or the greens not getting cut as often, it is just something I never noticed in the past, playing my normal ball.

Here are a couple of comparison shots in the rough.

8285202107_96171ce5cc.jpg

8286259900_9398d2928a.jpg

Playing the Chromax balls today was a little easier than when I played them in Myrtle, but I was also on a course that I am comfortable with. I do think these are a little shorter than my normal gamer, and they did get knocked down a couple times on high wedge shots into greens, when I got a little wind gust.

So far, I think part of the differences are real, as in how the Chromax feels, as compared to my normal gamer, and the distances I am used to getting. I think the other part could be preconceived notions, how the dimples appear, how the ball looks, that may or may not have anything to do with performance, but it does influence confidence. If I were to be blind folded and hit the Chromax and the Bridgestone, I would like to think that I could tell the difference, but we do not play golf blind folded. We look at the ball on every single shot. If you stand over a ball you a comfortable playing, then you have more confidence taking the shot. Otherwise, you may question club selection or how hard to swing, then anything can happen.

I would be very interested to test this exact same ball in "standard" white, just to see if what we are experiencing is partly in our heads, and if we have the same opinions on this ball.

Good thoughts Chris, I especially like the last point about preconceived notions and it possibly skewering our thoughts.

Testing date: 12/18/12
Conditions: Mostly Sunny, Little breezy, 59 degrees
Normal Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX Optic Yellow
Testing Ball: Chromax Distance Green

So far, I think part of the differences are real, as in how the Chromax feels, as compared to my normal gamer, and the distances I am used to getting. I think the other part could be preconceived notions, how the dimples appear, how the ball looks, that may or may not have anything to do with performance, but it does influence confidence. If I were to be blind folded and hit the Chromax and the Bridgestone, I would like to think that I could tell the difference, but we do not play golf blind folded. We look at the ball on every single shot. If you stand over a ball you a comfortable playing, then you have more confidence taking the shot. Otherwise, you may question club selection or how hard to swing, then anything can happen.

I would be very interested to test this exact same ball in "standard" white, just to see if what we are experiencing is partly in our heads, and if we have the same opinions on this ball.

I would agree with you about the feel of these balls, but I had no issue with hitting them for distance for each club in the bag. They will compress decently because I was able to drive this ball quite well and I really did not see any significant lack of distance or feel with these compared to other similar type balls.

Man, that was put so well, chewie. Excellent post and I know exactly what you are saying. I think the coloring and dimples alone can lead people, whether right or wrong, to make a decision about these balls before they actually hit them. I fully admit that they've done that to me in the past at times. Confidence in our equipment plays a huge part in our game, and I think that it's even bigger with a golf ball since we use it every shot.

I think moving from the ball you are playing to this one is a pretty big jump, so I'm not surprised to see what appears to be not a good match for you. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Man, that was put so well, chewie. Excellent post and I know exactly what you are saying. I think the coloring and dimples alone can lead people, whether right or wrong, to make a decision about these balls before they actually hit them. I fully admit that they've done that to me in the past at times. Confidence in our equipment plays a huge part in our game, and I think that it's even bigger with a golf ball since we use it every shot.

I think moving from the ball you are playing to this one is a pretty big jump, so I'm not surprised to see what appears to be not a good match for you. Nothing wrong with that at all.

The color to me inspires a bit of confidence. It's really really tough to lose these things in terms of both sidespin as well as visually lose it. The last hole I played at dusk, I had no worry about not being able to find the ball in its flight even in fading conditions and a tight driving hole. Ripped it right down the right center of the fairway and then it took a dumb hop left and into the intermediate cut. Second shot, no problem there even with now worse light. Any other ball and I would have been playing the hit and listen for it to hit the ground and hope I can find it game.

I get to play a full round tomorrow with these tomorrow, I'm also going to have my buddy Jason hit a couple of these off the tee to see his impressions, should be a great round.

I would love to see this test too. I hate to say, but the cover looks odd to me. I try to think it doesn't influence my view on the ball, but really I dont know for sure. I know that all of us are experiencing issues with the feel off of a putter, and I don't think that has anything to do with preconcieved notions.

The color to me inspires a bit of confidence. It's really really tough to lose these things in terms of both sidespin as well as visually lose it. The last hole I played at dusk, I had no worry about not being able to find the ball in its flight even in fading conditions and a tight driving hole. Ripped it right down the right center of the fairway and then it took a dumb hop left and into the intermediate cut. Second shot, no problem there even with now worse light. Any other ball and I would have been playing the hit and listen for it to hit the ground and hope I can find it game.

It's sort of funny to me because I've been on all ends of the spectrum with this brand. There have been times that I felt like I was playing something with inferior performance (with the old ball), times when I thought the performance was very similar to what I see with similar balls (this ball through head to head testing), times when I thought the color lightened my mood and loosened me up, times when the color was a detracting quality, etc.

I will say that the color of this line is MUCH more relevant in terms of visibility, which is good for them. Before I felt like it was a novelty, but the neon shade shows up much better than what they had going in the past. I also think that my feeling of them being similar to most other 2-peice surlyn balls is probably the most accurate - at least in a general sense. Individual results will always vary, but what I 've seen is that they perform pretty closely and I see no reason why they shouldn't.

I get to play a full round tomorrow with these tomorrow, I'm also going to have my buddy Jason hit a couple of these off the tee to see his impressions, should be a great round.

Enjoy the round!

I would love to see this test too. I hate to say, but the cover looks odd to me. I try to think it doesn't influence my view on the ball, but really I dont know for sure. I know that all of us are experiencing issues with the feel off of a putter, and I don't think that has anything to do with preconcieved notions.

No, I think that firmness/clickiness is definitey there off the putter. Though, I've not seen any issues with my putting because of it.

No, I think that firmness/clickiness is definitey there off the putter. Though, I've not seen any issues with my putting because of it.

Thats a big difference for me and you. I am still struggling putting this thing, and I cant put my finger on exactly why. Heading back to Texas either tonight or tomorrow so you know Ill be getting in some golf down there

I agree too. The clickiness is very real with this ball, but as you said, I did not have any real issues it off the putter. The ball actually putted well with an inserted putter and a non-insert putter. From what I saw with these so far, you need to spend a little time adjusting to the feel for the distance with this ball.

Maybe this is not the place for this question, but, here goes. If this primarily plays like other surlyn balls, is it worth the premium, to get the optics.

Hey guys sorry I haven't been around be swamped with work lately..... I got a chance to get out and game the ball again the other and gave one to each of my playing partners to game aswell... I was again impressed at how easily the balls are spotted.... We were all able to find the balls very easy... actually made the round seem faster cause no one was constantly having to look hard to find their ball.... which says alot since the course was covered with leaves from the recent weather that has went through... I played the ball a lot better than when I first started prolly due to the fact I knew what kind of performace I would get out of the golf ball... I have gamed the same ball for 54 hole now... A miracle for me and havent noticed a lot of wear on the ball other than the few blimishes from playing it in the sand and the oocasion tree shot lol....but all in all still in very good condition... My playing companion where very impressed with the looks of the ball... I stated in an earlier post that I didn't see any problems with putting this ball and I still don't but what was strange to me the two guys I played with have never seen the ball or gmaed it.. One had no issues with putting and the other saw the same issue with the ball coming up short... We is still strange to me... Im curious if it is the ball or the putter that is being used .....

Maybe this is not the place for this question, but, here goes. If this primarily plays like other surlyn balls, is it worth the premium, to get the optics.

This is definitely the place. I can't speak for value that others see, but for me - I'd say no. Mainly because you can get other colored balls for $15 less. Would I still grab a sleeve at $10 on a lark before a round? Probably every now and then.

I wouldn't say so on the upcharge for the optics. Yes it helps, but honestly so does any real different colored ball. Optic yellow might be the iffy one IMO though just because I've had trouble at times finding them when they're sitting down some in dormant rough. These are nice because they're such vibrant and distinct colors that it's very hard not to notice them. We're all kinda lucky in that our grasses are turning dormant so a sharp popping green really sticks out even in rough that's been overseeded.

If these had a bit more performance qualities to them that were a real comparison to the B330RX or NXT Tour, I'd be able to justify their price a bit more

I have not gamed other manufactures colored balls, but I will be before the end of the year. I am curious to see how easy these are to see this time of year. I would bet that the chromax will win this battle. I was def impressed with chromax and the visibility of these golf balls. As I said before, if I can find my ball every time while playing at this time of year, then maybe these balls are worth the extra cost. You would only be purchasing a couple sleeves a year, versus maybe a dozen or more other balls. That golf ball was def noticed by every group around me Monday and there were lots of questions. They all were able to spot them and they were interested. I would like to play some of my buds for money this time of year and I break out these balls to play. I guarantee I would be walking away with some of their cash, because I would be playing the same ball the entire time while they are dropping new balls left and right because they could not find theirs.

Back