TaylorMade Lethal Golf Ball Preview

I liked the ball, dislike the name. I'm surprised they didn't continue with a modified Penta name as branding seemed strong with that line.

I could honestly care less what a golf balls name is. If it performs and the price is right, I will game it. There has been some great thoughts in the testing thread so I might pick a dozen up

My thoughts are well documented on this ball in the testing thread. It was a good ball, probably more suited for a higher swing speed than what I have. But, where it matters the most for me, around the green, this ball really worked well.

What a great name for a golf ball, sounds like they should be an interesting ball to give a try.

I love how varied the feelings are in the name. There is so much personal preference involved in this game

I was a big fan of the 5 layer Penta balls. I'm getting a little upset at these silly names, but TM knows marketing, which is why RocketBallz somehow became a respected club model name. Looking forward to giving this one a try.

~Rock

The name does nothing for me - good or bad. It does sound like a good ball. Whether it's right for me, I have no clue. I'll probably grab a sleeve one of these days, but I'm not likely to move away from my balls of choice any time soon.

Sounds like a great performing ball with a terrible name. The name screams "distance ball" to me.....but that would not keep me from playing it if it was the best for my game.

I have hit this ball and liked the feel alot. Noticeably more spin than the TP line. That being said the name is lackluster at best. As stated above it screams distance ball and I think better players will shy away from it. Basically killing the TP/Penta brand essentially I think is a big mistake.

What's in a name? This is coming from a company who decided that RocketBallz was their name for their famous line of woods. If the performance is there, I'll be interested.

Interesting

Lethal huh? I got to pick up a dozen of these and see if I can take down my golf course in 2013!

What's in a name? This is coming from a company who decided that RocketBallz was their name for their famous line of woods. If the performance is there, I'll be interested.

I have got to agree 100% with JN on this one, name doesn't matter but I am interested in trying this ball.

5 layers and hex pattern. I've seen this ball before.

So they actually did go with "Lethal" eh? As fun as it was to play that ball, I am really disappointed in the name. Hopefully it won't be "Lethal" to their sales of what is actually a well designed ball.

So they actually did go with "Lethal" eh? As fun as it was to play that ball, I am really disappointed in the name. Hopefully it won't be "Lethal" to their sales of what is actually a well designed ball.
I think most people said the same thing when "Rocketballz" was announced, but it grew on everyone. I think the Lethal will as well.

I think most people said the same thing when "Rocketballz" was announced, but it grew on everyone. I think the Lethal will as well.

Not quite everyone... :bad:

FULL DISCLOSURE - I loved the Penta TP5, I just don't like the new name on this one.

I feel the same way. Just don't like it or some reason.

Rocketballz comes off the tongue a bit better than Lethal, IMO. I think they should have stuck with a variant of the TP5 or something. I really liked Project 5 though.

interesting name...I cant wait to try the ball

With all that is going on in the world and the latest events in Connecticut they couldn't have picked a worse name.

I think they confused quite a few people with the Penta line. They had the original TP, then the TP3 and TP5. But the original TP was a 5 piece ball designed for all swing speeds and I have no idea what the next two were designed for. So I like the idea of a completely different name. I never even tried the TP3's or 5's, but I'm sure I'll be buying at least one box of these this year.

I am incredibly excited to try out this ball. I love the Penta... but I always switch it out for the prov1x on windy days because I didn't like the Penta's performance in the wind. Now, I really want to give this new ball a chance in the stiff chicago wind... despite the terrible name.

TaylorMade is really confusing me with their golf ball line.

They came out with the Penta TP 2 years ago. Personally, I thought it was a great ball.

Last year, they introduce a new premium ball, the TP5.

And now this they have the Lethal.

I would really like to see them stick with a line and tweak it over time. I feel like the constant rebranding only serves to confuse the customer and leads to the "Penta A was better than Penta C" effect. I feel like this can only hurt brand / ball loyalty vs enhance it.

I like how the ProV lines have held up over the years. Seems like the consistent performance / branding along with minor tweaks over the time has done wonders for their brand loyalty.

*full disclosure, the Penta TP is by far my favorite ball. I have stashed dozens of them in my closet for just this reason.

Hmm. Think I like the name "Project 5" more than "Lethal"

Tapping away on my S3

Looking forward to reading the reviews of this ball (Lethal). I love (and still play) the Penta TPs. Tried and very dissapointed in the Penta TP5. May also want to give a try to the new TM Rocketballz Urethane 3 piece ball.

Back