TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

I've been having great success with my scoring irons and have had no distance gap issues or accuracy issues.

As for the rocketfuel shafts, I've really enjoyed them. Hard to imagine getting any better ball flight than what I've been seeing, so I guess they really just fit my swing well.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

3i - I love this club! Based on what I've seen in this thread, I may be the only one that opted for this stick in my set...and all I can say is for those of you falling in love with your 4i just imagine possessing a stick that is just as easy to hit and adds 15-20 more yards. I would almost consider it a utility stick because it works for punch outs, stingers, or even short chip shots. As for a full swing, well my 3rd hole today plays 340 yards and is straight for the first 270 yards then bends right. The fairway narrows from 220 yards forward, as there is water on the right. I had a tailwind, so I knew that 3i was plenty of club, the main thing I wanted was to be in the fairway for the 2nd shot...thinking 80-100 yards left. Taking a controlled swing I heard the "click" and knew it was good....but I had no clue just how good....until I walk up on it and realize it went THROUGH the fairway. Yes...I hit it around 250-260 yards and had 70 yards left. By comparison, one of my playing partners scrubbed a low driver and was 10 yards shorter than me. Ridiculous!
I'm hitting my 4i longer higher and straighter than my 2.0 3H(which used to be my go to club), and I'm thinking this post may be the icing on the cake for getting the 3i to fill the gap between the driver and the 4i since I can't hit my 3wood right now for some reason.

Anyone else using the RBLDZ 3i hitting it as well as the 4i?

I'm hitting my 4i longer higher and straighter than my 2.0 3H(which used to be my go to club), and I'm thinking this post may be the icing on the cake for getting the 3i to fill the gap between the driver and the 4i since I can't hit my 3wood right now for some reason.

Anyone else using the RBLDZ 3i hitting it as well as the 4i?

I'm getting a RBZ Tour 3 hybrid delivered tomorrow to fill my gap between the 4 iron and 3 wood.

Totally agree with you that the KBS shafts were the best choice I could have made. Granted I don't have a clue what the Rocketfuelz would have done for me (aside from the 30-50 shots I hit with a 6i while testing), but I would not have done this any differently if I had to do it over again. I previously played a bit of a fade with my old set of irons, but now I am dead straight without changing anything other than my clubs. I've found that I can play a fade when needed, but I have to consciously setup for a fade now. I have not tried to play a draw with my 'bladez--other than when punching out of trouble--but I see no need for it considering how consistently I can pick a target and hit right at it now.

Perhaps some of my "abilities" with these clubs is due to having an extremely high level of confidence going right now, so until my swing goes to hell I won't know if that's the case or not.....

I've been battling to flaten my swing for some time now, as I tend to have a quite upright swing which makes my angle of attack too great. One of my biggest problems was the fact that I always used to tend to hit a fade especially with longer clubs but even with irons. I've been working on this quite hard and I've got to the point now where I am a bit flater and hitting the ball straight with a slightly closed setup - works quite nicely for me.

Since having the RBladez I have noticed that the stright ball flight I was hitting has progressed to a slight hint of baby draw which is coming out consistantly across all the irons and now my hybrids and driver. I am not certain if it's the RBladez that have anything to do with that, but I wasn't hitting that shape of shot prior to owning them.

Certainly not unhappy about it and fingers crossed for further development.

This is going to be such a long wait! I'm thinking I have 2-3 weeks since they are custom fit

TapaTalk from the iPhone

This is going to be such a long wait! I'm thinking I have 2-3 weeks since they are custom fit

TapaTalk from the iPhone
It'll be worth it for you though dude, I truly do think you'll be quite pleased with what you get out of these.

TexasHacker is going to punish balls with the RocketBladez. I really do think they'll be a good fit for your swing man. Remind me what shaft you went with?

I'm trying to come up with some feedback from the practice sessions I've had over the last few weeks, but I'm a little tapped out it seems. I've hit what feels like hundreds of shots in the last couple weeks and it's really been a good thing for me. I need repetition. One thing I've been focusing on is practicing with a short iron and a long iron, mainly because I hit 7 irons all the time and I'd like to get that comfort level with every club in the bag.

Something that has been pretty interesting to me recently are the numbers I'm seeing from some of my 6 iron swings. The 7 iron is pretty darn consistent for me. If I rip it (relatively speaking :D), I'm seeing carry right at 160 yards like clockwork. At least a few times a session I'm seeing a pretty big jump when I hit the 6 iron cleanly. The number is about 5-7 yards farther than I'd expect it to be. Now, maybe a 15 yard gap between irons on well struck shots is normal? I'll defer to some of the rest of you for that. I've alway sort of seen a 10 yard gap - or at least it seems that way. Regardless, it's sort of an exciting developement for me in that I've not had a club that the 6 iron seems to fill (without choking down) for maybe a year or more.

Two biggest weakeness at the moment are 4 iron and 9/PW. 4 iron talk has been sort of rehashed enough, but in a nutshell, I just hit a comparable hybrid cleaner with more consistency. The 9/PW are two clubs I just need practice with in general. Neither are clubs I practice with often and my tendency to scoop shows it's head enough to be problem. Distance drops, trajectory goes up, and usually the ball barfs off a little right. Nothing I'm not able to fix at least.

Grips are holding up good and the clubs are still in fine shape.

I have also been really impressed with how the sole of the clubs are holding up. Been playing in harsh winter conditions, hit off range mats, and even some fairway bunkers, and the soles of the clubs still look near flawless. You need to get really really close to find any sort of permanent scratch.

If what's left of the snow melts today and the courses around here open this weekend, I will definitely be out there. If not, I will most likely get in a range session and post some more impressions afterwards.

Hawk- Interesting that you are struggling with the 9/PW. Those are two of the clubs in the set that I was obsessed with hitting. The PW for me, was incredible. Plus, I was getting TONS of spin on shots in to the green with it. Almost made me look like I knew what I was doing.

Hawk- Interesting that you are struggling with the 9/PW. Those are two of the clubs in the set that I was obsessed with hitting. The PW for me, was incredible. Plus, I was getting TONS of spin on shots in to the green with it. Almost made me look like I knew what I was doing.

War Eagle - I am having similar success with the scoring irons. The greens up here are pretty hard (if not frozen) this time of year, and I am getting such good height on my shots that I am getting virtually no roll out. My playing partners have been joking that I am the only one that has had ball marks to repair in the past month.

It's not a thing that is unique to these clubs and it's not an every time type of thing. It's an issue that I had with the 588's at times as well. In all honesty, I think it goes back to the time when I was really short off the tee. Not too many chances for PW/9 irons in that situation lol. If I stay down through the shot it's not an issue, so just need that repetition.

I've still hit greens with them though. Not seeing unusual amounts of spin, but certainly stopping the ball quickly, even an e6 in firm condtions.

I'm trying to come up with some feedback from the practice sessions I've had over the last few weeks, but I'm a little tapped out it seems.
Understandable. You had been at this for nearly a month before the new testers showed up.

Something that has been pretty interesting to me recently are the numbers I'm seeing from some of my 6 iron swings. The 7 iron is pretty darn consistent for me. If I rip it (relatively speaking :D), I'm seeing carry right at 160 yards like clockwork. At least a few times a session I'm seeing a pretty big jump when I hit the 6 iron cleanly. The number is about 5-7 yards farther than I'd expect it to be. Now, maybe a 15 yard gap between irons on well struck shots is normal? I'll defer to some of the rest of you for that. I've alway sort of seen a 10 yard gap - or at least it seems that way. Regardless, it's sort of an exciting developement for me in that I've not had a club that the 6 iron seems to fill (without choking down) for maybe a year or more.
Very nice! I've been seeing @ 15 yard between clubs, so yeah, I think it is normal.

Two biggest weakeness at the moment are 4 iron and 9/PW. 4 iron talk has been sort of rehashed enough, but in a nutshell, I just hit a comparable hybrid cleaner with more consistency. The 9/PW are two clubs I just need practice with in general. Neither are clubs I practice with often and my tendency to scoop shows it's head enough to be problem. Distance drops, trajectory goes up, and usually the ball barfs off a little right. Nothing I'm not able to fix at least.
Do you scoop the 9 & PW with other clubs or is there something going on with the Bladez that is exacerbating this?

I agree, haven't seen anything negative with the grips at all. And I agree with jlukes about the sole of the clubs. Other than my SW, which has those micro-abrasions, the soles look virtually new. I have seen some very minor markings on the face of the club but they are small enough that you don't see them at address, just when inspecting or cleaning.

Understandable. You had been at this for nearly a month before the new testers showed up.

Very nice! I've been seeing @ 15 yard between clubs, so yeah, I think it is normal.

Do you scoop the 9 & PW with other clubs or is there something going on with the Bladez that is exacerbating this?

I agree, haven't seen anything negative with the grips at all. And I agree with jlukes about the sole of the clubs. Other than my SW, which has those micro-abrasions, the soles look virtually new. I have seen some very minor markings on the face of the club but they are small enough that you don't see them at address, just when inspecting or cleaning.

That's good to hear about gaps then. I love that 6 iron unlike any other I've had I do believe.

I do scoop them up. Just a sway and scoop that I know how to prevent. It's definitely not an iron issue since it's happened with others.

TexasHacker is going to punish balls with the RocketBladez. I really do think they'll be a good fit for your swing man. Remind me what shaft you went with?

I'm trying to come up with some feedback from the practice sessions I've had over the last few weeks, but I'm a little tapped out it seems. I've hit what feels like hundreds of shots in the last couple weeks and it's really been a good thing for me. I need repetition. One thing I've been focusing on is practicing with a short iron and a long iron, mainly because I hit 7 irons all the time and I'd like to get that comfort level with every club in the bag.

Hawk, I am used to seeing 10yd gaps as well and had a problem with my Burner 2.0's when it came to "fliers," I haven't experienced that yet with the Rocketbladez, but I don't feel that I'm anywhere near out of the break-in period with these clubs yet.

As Jlukes also mentioned, the finish is holding up quite well! I have hit them on what is equivalent to green concrete and have yet to see any real noticeable dings, chips, or hard scratches.

I am away on business through the weekend so I won't have an opportunity to swing these again until Monday/Tues at the earliest, but I have a lesson and indoor range session scheduled for next Wed to get some good numbers and work on a few swing things.

My first thought was the 'flyer', but it's seeming like most every very solid strike gets me that yardage - definitely a plus in my book since it's filling a gap.

Hawk, I am used to seeing 10yd gaps as well and had a problem with my Burner 2.0's when it came to "fliers," I haven't experienced that yet with the Rocketbladez, but I don't feel that I'm anywhere near out of the break-in period with these clubs yet.

As Jlukes also mentioned, the finish is holding up quite well! I have hit them on what is equivalent to green concrete and have yet to see any real noticeable dings, chips, or hard scratches.

I am away on business through the weekend so I won't have an opportunity to swing these again until Monday/Tues at the earliest, but I have a lesson and indoor range session scheduled for next Wed to get some good numbers and work on a few swing things.

Hahaha @ green concrete. I hear you on that. There have been a few times I was thankful I was in the rough rather than in the fairway.

I'll have to pay closer attention to that during my next range session then to see if I experience the same...

Going to try to play again tomorrow. We'll see if I can't get my 9 iron to play as well as the rest of the set. I need it since I can't seem to blast the PW or ease up on the 8i accurately enough to avoid it.

Hahaha @ green concrete. I hear you on that. There have been a few times I was thankful I was in the rough rather than in the fairway.

I'm with you on that one... last round I gave up putting after the 2nd hole, the ice-bumps were too much to deal with!

Hawk I went with the KBS 90s. I am very excited. Such a smooth shaft

TapaTalk from the iPhone

War Eagle, Hawk. A long way behind both of you on testing, I have just had the one round with the clubs, but I am still reliving the 9 iron shot from the last round. My normal game would involve 5-10 yards rollout on a well struck 9. With the bladez, I got the 'dead cat bounce', a whole new experience! All of the discussion around the 4 iron and my own experience with the 5 (a club that usually I would replace with a hybrid) has prompted me to order a single 4 iron.

Second round with the bladez is scheduled for later today, and to maintain focus, it is the monthly medal at my club, which in UK terms is pretty much the one opportunity of the month to impact the handicap, either positively or negatively. I'll report back later!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am still reliving the 9 iron shot from the last round. My normal game would involve 5-10 yards rollout on a well struck 9. With the bladez, I got the 'dead cat bounce', a whole new experience! All of the discussion around the 4 iron and my own experience with the 5 (a club that usually I would replace with a hybrid) has prompted me to order a single 4 iron.

That's great, Bandito! Being able to play a 4i and 9i being received into the greens better is awesome.

There is understandably a lot of focus on distance with these clubs. But I love seeing the less pronounced ways (like this) that Bladez' technology improves the golf experience for us regular hacker types :)

Round 2!

Conditions: overcast, not too cold but a long way from summer! Monthly club competition, so a little over 6300 yards and a par of 70.

The round began with a scuffed drive, all of 80 yards. Followed by a scuffed 8 iron maybe 85 yards. Things were not looking great! No blame on the bats - pure user error.

The next shot had a fair amount of frustration it, so we can definitely call it committed. 155 yards uphill. A lovely tight little draw, pin high 8 feet left. Simply, I have never hit a 7 iron like it. High. Stopped. Went where I aimed it. (Holed the putt, making the most unlikely par.)

Hole 2 is a par 3 with a huge grass bunker short. 162 yards on the card. Decided an easy 6 was the way to go. Over the flag, Maybe 12 foot long. Thing was, this was not a pure strike, a good one, but a little towards the toe. That said it still went straight, with little loss of distance.

Very happy with these mid-irons.

9, PW and AW were good to me again this week. Faced with an elevated green with a lot of trouble in front, I put the ball back a bit in the stance, trying to get a more punchy penetrative flight. Caught it well, actually thought it was too good, but it took a hop forward and the dug in on second bounce. It is not often I can say that the ball did exactly what I tried to make it do....

Final score was 3 over handicap, not a great day off the tees. Only the second time out for me with clubs, and still need to get comfortable with my yardages, but for me at least, the good shots go higher, further and then stop. In short, they do what the manufacturer promised! Nobody is more surprised than me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nice writeup Bandito. Glad to see the clubs were working well for you. Isn't it nice when a manufacturer's claims turn out to be true?

Man I struck the ball well today. Would never know it by my score, but that's because the greens were literally frozen. The ball bounced off them like they were paved, it was pretty unreal.

What I really liked today was even with the frozen ground, I was able to hit clean iron shots. I was pleasantly surprised how the clubs were not bouncing off the frozen fairway. The leading edge would get right under the ball and allowed for beautiful contact.

I really hit some nice shots with the PW today, both full swing and shorter swings.

Back