Would you be a 'World" golfer?

Golf Ghost

Reaction score
With so many big name players taking up membership on more than one tour, would you take up membership on the European Tour as a North American player and vice-versa if you're a European player?

Why or why not?

I would. But I love to travel so that would be my reasoning.

I think I would. There's so many great courses out there to play I would want to travel and play them!

I've actually thought about this alot. I'd play a full PGA Tour schedule. However, since I have family in the UK, I'd love to play as many tournaments as I can over there. So, I'd go over there to play the BMW at Wentworth, The Irish Open, and Scottish Open for sure. I might play Dubai and Qatar. I also might play in Asia for the CIMB and Korean Open. I'd also definitely play at least 2 season ending every in Australia.

I think if there were any events I would drop from the list, it'd be the trip to Asia and the Middle East.

As an American I probably would not. 3 of the 4 majors are here, and I think overall the consensus is the PGA is the stronger of the two tours. I would certainly travel overseas for a few of the bigger tournaments, but I couldn't see myself joining the European tour.

It's hard to me to answer for a Euro, but from an American point of view I definitely think its beneficial for them to join the PGA.

I would love to play a season on the European Tour. The travel would be incredible.

Absolutely. Why? You get to travel, get to play courses all over the world, get to meet people from all walks of life across the globe, and it allows you to build your own brand internationally.

I don't think the travel is as great as everyone makes it out to be. You are there to work, I wouldn't think the players spend too much time seeing the sites.

I would prefer to maximize my earnings on one tour, and spend my off weekends traveling on my own and playing any course I want. Seems to be the more enjoyable way to travel, and they have the money to do so.

PGA events and The Open only. Pretty sure everyone thinks the PGA schedule is the tougher schedule with the toughest fields, so why play weaker field events? More and more non-americans are taking up PGA membership, moving to the US, etc to play more PGA events, so must hold some validity.

I don't think the travel is as great as everyone makes it out to be. You are there to work, I wouldn't think the players spend too much time seeing the sites.

I would prefer to maximize my earnings on one tour, and spend my off weekends traveling on my own and playing any course I want. Seems to be the more enjoyable way to travel, and they have the money to do so.

This is actually very true. Some players get interviewed about do they like it in......say Germany. And the player will say something like, "I didn't come here to see the sights, I came here to play golf."

Id play a full PGA schedule and play occasional events elsewhere. Rotating the elsewhere events.

This is actually very true. Some players get interviewed about do they like it in......say Germany. And the player will say something like, "I didn't come here to see the sights, I came here to play golf."

Yeah, but when it's a dream (like it is for us) and not reality, it would be awesome to travel and play golf all over the world! For those guys who have already played so many nice courses it probably isn't a big deal.

Absolutely. Obviously focus over here but with so many tourneys counting for both I wouldn't have to add but a couple European events for membership.

I think I'd stick to the pga tour and travel outside the US in the offseason if there was a demand for me. I can't imagine with a family all the travel to just play nationally, adding more time away would not be on my priority list.

I lived in Europe for 4 years..........don't care if I ever leave the US again.

I think that for your finances, the PGA with selected big European tournaments is the way to go.

For your golf, I think that there is some merit in playing the European tour, for the broader range of venues and cultures that you will experience.

That said, the PGA tour has started more co-sanctioning which will only be good for the tour and the players on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For myself. Think I would want to meet minimum requirements to hold card on both tours. I have a fascination with the Euro tour and their courses. That alone for me would make me want to play both.

Oh yeah, I'd go where: 1 - I could play, 2 - where the money is!!!

I'd like to think I would play all over. I'd think you could squeeze a week or 2 of touristy activities in a schedule like that were you so inclined. If there were appearance fees involved, it's a no-brainer.
Now if I was struggling to stay on any tour? I'd stay on one tour and play any week I could.

I'd probably play the PGA tour events. Maybe every other year I'd try to hit the big oversea events. I can't imagine how difficult travel would be.

I think I would play the European Tour for at least a season just to take in all the different cultures in different countries. Besides going to Canada (which was a pretty awesome experience) I haven't been outside of the United States and would love to see what else is out there. Couple the diverse cultures with my love for golf and I think that would be amazing.

Being a proud European i'd have to say i'll stay where i am thanks

Unless I were going to get paid more money to play on the Euro tour, I would not. The PGA Tour is still the greatest golf tour in the world with the toughest fields and as much as the Euro tour is trying to become the premium tour in the world, the PGA Tour is still where its at.

having a family, I'd like to stay in the US & have them travel with me as often as possible. if I was a bachelor with no kids... I'd love to play in Europe & enjoy the scenery

I would. It would be a great way to get your name out there as well as seeing all of the courses/different areas of the world.

Back