GPS vs Range Finder

I have a Bushnell Tour v2 Rangefinder that I'm quite happy with, but I might try out a GPS this year just to see if I like them.

I have bad long distance vision but know my distances, being a high handicapper I battle a slice so GPS really helps me find my missing balls in the rough! I know a good drive is 200-230m, and a bad one is usually 170-200m depending on how far sideways it went, so it narrows down the area I need to search. I'm regularly surprised at just how far or close things are on a golf course, and GPS works for me. I just pace out the distance I feel I hit and then begin my search and more often than not I find my ball really quickly. Whereas before I was guessing where to search.

I have used rangefinders of playing partners and they are great, but I'm still relatively new so I'm unfamiliar with the layout of most courses

Rangefinder or GPS?

Rangefinder or GPS?

Hi everyone,

I'm debating getting a yardage device as I think it would help dial in my game. I can't decide between using a GPS or a rangefinder. I golfed last weekend with a guy that had the Garmin S1 watch which was pretty neat however it only gives you front/middle/back of greens and we all know that varies with pin placements.

What do you guys prefer? I really like the Garmin S3 with moveable pin placements, layup yardages, etc...but the thing is $350, ouch. In the rangefinder market I was thinking the Leupold GX1.

I'd like to hear what you guys think is nice and what you use. Also, what might be a good buy for under $200.

Thanks,

Low

Don't have one, but use one frequently with buddies I play with. Range finder is more accurate, but really not as easy to use as any gps I've ever used. GPS might be up to a few yards off, but really, how often does a few yards make a huge difference? Ease of GPS makes it my choice whenever I can afford one.

Merged with a huge thread.

I use both now and absolutely enjoy my Bush V2 and you can get them at a great price on the bay. Prefer the pinseeker myself, but like the red display of the GX series. I know Nate and a few others have the Z6 which has the red display as well.

I also use a golf gps/tracking app on my phone and like to see what's out there in front of you, especially if you haven't played the course before.

So...I use both. But I think there is already a thread on this.

EDIT: Angry Mod on top of the shiznet as usual...

Hi everyone,

I'm debating getting a yardage device as I think it would help dial in my game. I can't decide between using a GPS or a rangefinder. I golfed last weekend with a guy that had the Garmin S1 watch which was pretty neat however it only gives you front/middle/back of greens and we all know that varies with pin placements.

What do you guys prefer? I really like the Garmin S3 with moveable pin placements, layup yardages, etc...but the thing is $350, ouch. In the rangefinder market I was thinking the Leupold GX1.

I'd like to hear what you guys think is nice and what you use. Also, what might be a good buy for under $200.

Thanks,

Low

Not sure on the price now but I have the gx-1 and is the second best golf purchase behind lessons. It really is a game changer and I couldn't imagine playing without it.

It's small, simple to use, and tournament legal (no slope)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I now have both. I'm happy about that.

I own both, and use both depending on the day. If forced to choose, I'd take the rangefinder over the GPS but that's me.

I have been using the older version of Callaway uPro and its been awesome! Absolutely no issues at all and it's been pretty consistent with distances to the green (front, middle, back) and its been pretty consistent with distances to hazards as well. I have been thinking of getting a range finder but only to be used when I am practicing at the driving range to work on distance consistency....but the cost doesn't justify it yet.

I use both...although my Callaway Upro MX+ hasn't been out of the bag in weeks...don't really need it to see stuff ahead because I know my home course and my Bushnell V2 gets me all the yardage I need.

I prefer the ease of GPS. In a perfect world, I would have both.

I love having the view of the hole and touch screen ability of my gps. It's also nice to be able to move the flag on the green for a yardage the score and stat feature is very handy. But for some reason it doesn't want to sync with my new computer. It's a golfbuddy platinum and I recomend it.

I have used my Nikon range finder for the last two tears but have just switched to the Callaway Upro+ and it is great! Small enough to stay in my back pocket and has worked flawlessly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I use both, I have a Leupold and the GolfShot app for my iPhone. I mainly just use the Golfshot just to keep track of my stats and use the Leupold to get yardages. I have found that sometimes the GPS isn't as accurate depending on the course but the range finder is never wrong and gives you an exact distance to the pin. If I could only use one of them it would be the Rangefinder.

I have both but I use the range finder WAY more.

rangefinder without a doubt. a GPS isn't going to tell you how far the back edge of a lake or sand trap is on a par 5 that you desperately need to avoid. plus, don't you want to know the exact distance to the flag instead of the front, middle and back of the green? just makes sense right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rangefinder without a doubt. a GPS isn't going to tell you how far the back edge of a lake or sand trap is on a par 5 that you desperately need to avoid. plus, don't you want to know the exact distance to the flag instead of the front, middle and back of the green? just makes sense right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is said that good players (good players, not professionals...) aim for the center of the green, not right for the pin. So wouldn't that GPS feature work better?

I use a rangefinder myself and I like it better. I aim for the center of the green on my shot, but will use the rangefinder distance to decide my shot choice because it is more accurate than a GPS.

THPing on Tapatalk

Both if at all possible.

I think rangefinders can encourage tunnel vision at times for those of us without pinpoint accuracy, but really do appreciate them inside 100 yards.

I have and use both. I mostly use the GPS(Golfshot) for typical shots like laying up to a specific yardage. I usually use the range finder to find distances to bunker lips, trees, players in front of me, and occasionally the pin inside 100 yds.

My Callaway Upro has pinpoint ability where I can move the spot anywhere I want and get exact yardage and has a real aireal view. Been pretty dang accurate so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jeez, Im confused now. I can't decide it whether I should go the route of GPS or laser..here's what I'm thinking.

GPS watch:
-light & easy to use
-wont lose it on my wrist
-fast
-accurate
-front/middle/back yardages

Laser:
-to the PIN distances
-laser whatever object I want
-accurate if I have a steady hand

What do you guys think? I'm worried that not being able to get exact distances to the pin will drive me crazy. Granted, those exact numbers are dependent on me hitting the perfect shot...

Let's here it!

PS: dicks is having a great sale on the S1 right now...$150!

Jeez, Im confused now. I can't decide it whether I should go the route of GPS or laser..here's what I'm thinking.

GPS watch:
-light & easy to use
-wont lose it on my wrist
-fast
-accurate
-front/middle/back yardages

Laser:
-to the PIN distances
-laser whatever object I want
-accurate if I have a steady hand

What do you guys think? I'm worried that not being able to get exact distances to the pin will drive me crazy. Granted, those exact numbers are dependent on me hitting the perfect shot...

Let's here it!

PS: dicks is having a great sale on the S1 right now...$150!

I'm a fan of GPS's. I actually have a UPro MX+ and love it, was thinking of getting a GPS Watch to use instead though. Watch would just be so convenient.

I need to buy a gps or rangefinder what should I get?

I need to buy a gps or rangefinder what should I get?

I want to get a gps or rangefinder, but with so many on the market I want advice on which one is the best. Please help me hackers.

I use my Laser way more than my GPS but everyone is different.

Back