TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Fairway Wood Review

I have the RBZ tour 3 14.5* (same as Jlukes) and absolutely LOVE the thing! Tee, deck, rough...it just performs well everywhere. I like the look of this one though, and the theme matches the Rocketbladez I'm currently testing which would help my OCD tendencies in bag composition. I would be curious to learn more about the head to head RBZ vs RBZ 2 to see what differences in performance would be with the newer generation club. Godd writing so far, and I loof forward to following along.

Just a week until launch date, any further updates from anyone on here that has been lucky enough to hit one?
I am like a kid counting down to Christmas, I cannot wait to try this!

more than the OG RBZ, i wonder how this stacks up with the x hot.

I have the RBZ tour 3 14.5* (same as Jlukes) and absolutely LOVE the thing! Tee, deck, rough...it just performs well everywhere. I like the look of this one though, and the theme matches the Rocketbladez I'm currently testing which would help my OCD tendencies in bag composition. I would be curious to learn more about the head to head RBZ vs RBZ 2 to see what differences in performance would be with the newer generation club. Godd writing so far, and I loof forward to following along.

If the weather allows, and I can get my hands on the RBZ2, I have both the 3W and 5W RBZ so if there happens to be a testing opportunity and nobody else puts their name down I could be in a position to try this :golf2:

I do have to say that I really like the original ones so hopefully the RBZ2 will be even better

I'll be doing some more testing today at noon and will come back and report. I'm going to focus more with it off a tee for use on tighter holes etc. I used it a lot off the deck the last couple times I've gotten sessions in with it so I'm interested to see how she goes today.

Smoke some golf balls, Jake!

do work Jake!
maybe take some videos???? i'd like to see you crush this thing and wouldn't mind seeing that handsome mug of yours...

I'll be doing some more testing today at noon and will come back and report. I'm going to focus more with it off a tee for use on tighter holes etc. I used it a lot off the deck the last couple times I've gotten sessions in with it so I'm interested to see how she goes today.

Cool..

do work Jake!
maybe take some videos???? i'd like to see you crush this thing and wouldn't mind seeing that handsome mug of yours...
Video will be tough today, I don't have a camera crew with as it's just me and the sim today at lunch time. I'll see what I can do to get you your fix ASAP though buddy.

If it is anything like my RBZ Tour 3, it is a fairway seeking missile.

If it is anything like my RBZ Tour 3, it is a fairway seeking missile.
I haven't hit that one. I hit the RBZ 3 wood and liked it, this one is a touch smaller but every bit as much a rocket launcher as the RBZ was.

I haven't hit that one. I hit the RBZ 3 wood and liked it, this one is a touch smaller but every bit as much a rocket launcher as the RBZ was.

I went with the Tour 3 because of the smaller profile - much easier to hit off the deck than the standard RBZ, and for me, just as good off the tee. My playing partners often wonder why I even carry a driver. Then... I hit the driver and they stop wondering :)

I love my RBZ clubs too. I'm curious to see what the stage 2's are like. I'll have to demo some from my club once they get them in.

I went with the Tour 3 because of the smaller profile - much easier to hit off the deck than the standard RBZ, and for me, just as good off the tee. My playing partners often wonder why I even carry a driver. Then... I hit the driver and they stop wondering :)

I can honestly say I haven't had a problem hitting the standard RBZ off the deck, and that is despite not really needing to, but on the odd occasion that I have hit it, it has always been sweet

I don't carry a driver either as the 3W is just so nice to hit for me, but I am hoping to pick one up this year and add a few more yards

Is that face as deep as it looks? Really does look like a mini driver, interesting to see how it performs of the deck.

Is that face as deep as it looks? Really does look like a mini driver, interesting to see how it performs of the deck.

It definitely looks like a mini driver.

can't wait to hear the comparison. Not exactly thrilled with my 3-wood and might look at this one

Want to hit.

Stage 2 vs original + XHot

Stage 2 vs original + XHot

For what its worth, I got to hit the 3 tour FW Stage 2 vs my own tour 3 vs the XHot 3 in the simulator.

Saw 3 yards on average difference in the simulator between my original and stage 2.

XHot felt really nice on impact, but I like the weight of the RBZ better. I think the XCON 7 shaft in the RBZ is heavier and feels a little more solid on impact. The impact on the XHot was butter smooth, but I just liked that the RBZ provided more feedback it seemed. XHot was similar distance for me to my original RBZ.

Very nice options and if I was starting over perhaps I'd lean to the XHot but my current 3 tour is nice. The XHot is also cheaper than the tour version of the RBZ Stage 2.

Sorry for rambling.

For what its worth, I got to hit the 3 tour FW Stage 2 vs my own tour 3 vs the XHot 3 in the simulator.

Saw 3 yards on average difference in the simulator between my original and stage 2.

XHot felt really nice on impact, but I like the weight of the RBZ better. I think the XCON 7 shaft in the RBZ is heavier and feels a little more solid on impact. The impact on the XHot was butter smooth, but I just liked that the RBZ provided more feedback it seemed. XHot was similar distance for me to my original RBZ.

Very nice options and if I was starting over perhaps I'd lean to the XHot but my current 3 tour is nice. The XHot is also cheaper than the tour version of the RBZ Stage 2.

Sorry for rambling.

No such thing as rambling when it comes to experience. We all enjoy hearing as much as possible from everyone.

Some great feedback there. That X-hot just seems to be the thing.

avu5u8ed.jpg

RBZ 2nd gen, 15 deg, stiff. Gained THIRTY yards vs my Callaway fairway wood! Um, yeah! Gonna have one...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359173329.771879.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359173329.771879.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Loving all the great things I'm hearing about this club. I haven't played any of the newer high COR FW's and I'm really wondering what I'm missing.

Testing is wrapping up on this one, on Friday I went and focused solely on performance off a tee and it was nothing short of the high expectations I had based on how much distance I was able to find while hitting it off the turf. I sound like a broken record but mini driver is still something that continues to resonate everytime I use this 3 wood. I'm starting to warm up to how it sets up at address, I still think compared to the Adams Super Speedline S 3 wood that I'm also reviewing I like the way the Adams setups up a little better but it's not as much of a preference as it was the first time I played it. I started out just hitting some tee shots to get a sense of how straight I was able to hit it, I kept imagining a tight hole that required precision accuracy off the tee. I didn't have any wild pushes, pulls, slices or hooks at all, nice and tight dispersion time and time again. The trajectory was pretty mid to mid low actually, that surprised me but I was also consciencely trying to keep it down and get some run. Distance wise, on these shots that I was more focused on a good straight ball I was averaging around 237-246 yards with each of those. After a while I started to crank on the ball a bit more and I was able to dig a few more yards out. I topped out at 257 yards with this 3 wood...and the funny thing about that was that shot was dead straight, by far my straightest and best shot I had hit in the session. I found that swinging hard didn't always get me more distance but on the couple that I caught real clean the distance certainly was there without really sacraficing much on the accuracy. This thing is built for speed and distance there's no question there.

I like the depth of the face for the size of the head, it's bigger yet it's not a real deep face FW that makes it difficult to control or hit from the turf as well as the tee. I have had strong 3 woods in the past that almost never got pulled from the fairway because of the size of the head and the depth of the face but this isn't the case with the RBZ Stage 2. I feel like I've got just as much confidence from the fairway as I do from the tee with this club.

Hit this club today in the 3W variety. Walk away unimpressed. No distance gain. Does not feel very good. I did like it better than last years RBZ though. Typical TM club for me.

Some great info in this thread, both from Jake and others, I didn't seem to hit the OG RBZ very well so I will be interested to try the stage 2 model.

Back