That's what I like about....golf

It would be easier to list the things I don't like about golf....3 putts, OOB, hosel rockets.....and even those are better than work!

The fresh air, getting some exercise and hitting that one great shot per round. That's what keeps me coming back.

I love watching a long straight drive or an approch shot hit and stick close to the hole or a long distance putt find the bottom of the cup. I love competing against myself and the course and challenging myself. The senery and wildlife along with the smell of fresh cut grass. I like the friendships and time spent with family. I like the 19th hole and THP and last but not least I like cart girls and push carts and looking bad ass with a bag of clubs.

Clearing my mind. That's what I like about golf.

Its my escape, good or bad, its an escape and a way to gain my peace of mind and almost meditate. Its why I walk so much and play a lot of rounds alone. Its just me, the course, and the ball. I love that.

Amen!

Stripped down to its most basic, it is the most interesting and challenging of sports with so many variables, man made and natural!

Its my escape, good or bad, its an escape and a way to gain my peace of mind and almost meditate. Its why I walk so much and play a lot of rounds alone. Its just me, the course, and the ball. I love that.
My exact thoughts! It's my time to relax and enjoy the surroundings of beautiful landscape.

Like most, I like playing golf because it is a release from my normal grind and a way to spend some time with some really quality people. I could be terrible at this game -- and sometimes I really am -- but I still thoroughly enjoy it.

I also really enjoy the skill aspect of the game. Being able to control a ball and execute a shot, particularly a difficult one, is really enjoyable. As I explained to someone in my office who doesn't play golf, it is fun for me to hit a ball across three football fields to an area the size of a desk and pulling off the shot.

Consistently challenging myself to see if I can meet the standards I create for myself. No matter what I shoot, I can always find areas to improve so it is a game of constant change.

The times with friends are priceless and can create some everlasting memories.

Then the thought of new equipment cutting my handicap in half is always on the horizon! LOL

While I do like the equipment and apparel and everything else that goes with golf, that's not what keeps me coming back. The one thing that really keeps me coming back is the hope that I'll get that perfect round in one day. That round where nothing goes wrong and you blow away your previous best score. And I know that it will probably never come, and if it does, I'll still find something that I could have possibly done better to improve my score, and the cycle starts over again.

Two things:

The challenge.
Being outside with buddies.

The challenge because I am a firm believer in it being the hardest game in the world. I love that you cant beat it and the chance of being perfect at it is SLIM and none. I like that 99% of the time you are socially accepted for being TERRIBLE or really good.

Being outside with buddies is self explantory. I love the outdoors and there is nothing like getting your group of golf buddies outside and enjoying everything about it.

The sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the cup. Hopefully for birdie I might add.

Couldnt have said it better myself. In addition, it's time I get to spend with my father. My father pretty much worked 7 days a week my entire life so we didnt get alot of quality time together. The last few years we have played alot of golf together, just the 2 of us, and I wouldnt trade it for anything in the world.

The challenge.

I'm also a (very) amateur cellist. Both pursuits are ridiculously hard at which to become good and therein lies the constant challenge which keeps me coming back day after day.

Of course golf also has the advantage of being played on beautiful courses and often with fun people.

The challenge is a huge part of it for me. I enjoy working to get better and improve my all around game. I also have realized that you must keep up with the parts of your game that you feel confident with, you can not rely on past experiences. You have to constantly do the little things in practice and routine to keep your game at the highest level.

Also I just love being outside no matter the weather there is something to be said for taking a deep breath of fresh air. There is something about the smell on a golf course that I cant get enough of.

I also enjoy taking my focus away from life for a few short hours and put my heart and soul into being totally present on the course. All my worries and fears go away and I am totally focused on golf. Some people meditate not me I go play 18!

Great thread by the way! It has been really cool to read everyone's responses.

Two reasons: first, once I step onto a golf course, all I'm thinking about is how to get my golf ball from Point A to Point B - nothing else matters. For me, it's a great mental escape. Secondly...well, it's just a lot of fun! The feeling of a crisply struck shot can't be beat!

While I always seem to play better when I play alone because I stay so much more focused, the best part of golf for me is the people I share the day with. If it weren't for golf there is no way I would get to spend 4.5 hours in a day with some of my friends because we would all wind up having to do a million other things. But we make time for golf and that lets us get together and have a good time.

Does everything count?

I like that it's hard and gives me something to big to focus on. I hate being bad at things.

I love the sound of the ball hitting the face of the club.

Love that a little ball can go high and really far and (sometimes) right where you wanted it to.

I love the feeling of a perfect putt and watching it roll into the hole.

Love the peace I get when I'm alone and playing.

Love the laughs I get when I'm playing with friends.

Love learning about equipment, the swing, course architecture, history of the game, everything.

Just a few things there.

It started as an escape and a way to spend time with friends outside. The more I play it's turned into a challenge to myself to constantly be improving. I kind of relish in the fact that whatever happens on the golf course is on me. I'm also addicted to the feeling of a great shot or making a clutch putt. I enjoy the equipment aspect of it as well, as anyone who has ventured into the pondering or what did you buy threads has certainly already noticed. :D

For me, it is being able to get away from everything as concentrating on playing clears my mind of everything else and just chills me out

I can agree with the most. I like golf because I can clear my mind away from all the chaos in my life. I must say, it helps me not to think about how broken my heart is for 3-4 hours. Sounds cheesy I know...

I love the game's challenge. It's you/ball/course. Whether I'm playing alone or with my buds, I enjoy it all the same. I'm sure this year will include more tourneys (charity scramble/best ball). And with my recent FL Get-together in Sarasota, meeting & playing with THPers is the gravy on my potatoes. More state-side travel in the future for this player, for sure. And as I've ended most of my "What did you shoot today" thread entry; "It's just good to get out there".

I love being on the course at dusk or early morning with some fog or mist. Beautifully quiet. I like the architecture and the history.. the challenge of always being able to improve. Where is the ceiling? Every day could be better. Also competition and fun with friends. That is what it is about.

I like the being outdoors and getting exercise.
I enjoy the social aspect of the game, with friends or strangers.
I like that you can appreciate a good shot - yours or your fellow competitors or your partners.
I like that the only person I really compete against is me.
I love watching a well stuck shot flying to the target, that 4-6 seconds of appreciating what you just did.
I love watching a well paced putt rolling to the hole on line and headed for the center of the cup.
I love a good challenging golf course to make me want to play better every time I go there.
I love the smell of fresh cut grass and the feel of warm sunshine on my back walking down the first fairway early in the morning.

I like the being outdoors and getting exercise.
I enjoy the social aspect of the game, with friends or strangers.
I like that you can appreciate a good shot - yours or your fellow competitors or your partners.
I like that the only person I really compete against is me.
I love watching a well stuck shot flying to the target, that 4-6 seconds of appreciating what you just did.
I love watching a well paced putt rolling to the hole on line and headed for the center of the cup.
I love a good challenging golf course to make me want to play better every time I go there.
I love the smell of fresh cut grass and the feel of warm sunshine on my back walking down the first fairway early in the morning.

Bump

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It's the early evening round that you are by yourself. As the sun sets, there is no better place to be on the planet. Surrounded by nature, it is gorgeous and peaceful. Not many things in my life are peaceful so I relish those moments.

Couldn't agree more with this!

Back