What Company Irks You?

Dude, don't pile on or single out. THP is bigger than that, one person didn't do this, a GROUP of people did. Period.

Yes, sorry. Didn't mean for a call out. Just frustrated that seemingly every discussion around some of newer clubs gets turned into this.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Yes, sorry. Didn't mean for a call out. Just frustrated that seemingly every discussion around some of newer clubs gets turned into this.

Believe me brother, I understand. Entirely.

Its time to keep this thread on topic please. Take standardizing loft conversations to a different thread. Thank you.

Applebee's....and not cause of the recent social media suicide. I ate there once back in high school and never went back. Awful. Don't know how they have lasted so long.

Can't stand Applebees! Worst stuff I've ever heard called food

Titleist screams elitist to me. They just do.

My big one is scootie. Not the putters as I like a couple of the models a good bit, instead its the CULT that surrounds them. The attitude that if you don't roll one you're a fool because ''the pro's do so it has to be good". Irks me to no end.

And Mizuno, grain flow forging or whatever it is is bunk IMO. Gorgeous clubs, but give up on the our forging is butter thing.

What makes me laugh about Scotty owners is that they see them on tour and have to own one... But they don't bother owning a tour model because they know how obscene the price is. I think Scotty makes an excellent putter, I just spent quite a bit of money turning them over trying to find one that suits my game and had no luck. My course is probably 80% Scotty in terms of the guys I've played with on a regular basis enough to see what putter they are rolling. It's pretty crazy, but they all seem happy about it. The looks I've gotten from using my SeeMore m9 have been awesome. Lots of explanations on the practice green and I love it.

Break the mold.

The war paint commercial from TaylorMade makes me a little irky

My big one is scootie. Not the putters as I like a couple of the models a good bit, instead its the CULT that surrounds them. The attitude that if you don't roll one you're a fool because ''the pro's do so it has to be good". Irks me to no end.

I'll put my vote in for this as well. Not just the putters, but all the limited edition headcovers, divot tools, ball markers, etc... Titleist also likes to do the same with Vokey wedges ($40 Vokey branded alignment sticks). It makes me laugh when people say that a $40 round of golf is too expensive, yet they have a headcover on their putter that they paid $100 for.

Genuine question. What does how and on what one chooses to spend their money on, have to do with the company overall? I mean, if a person chooses to spend $75 on a putter cover, why should the company irk you? Aren't they just making money, which is mist if the reason why anyone got involved in the business?

Genuine question. What does how and on what one chooses to spend their money on, have to do with the company overall? I mean, if a person chooses to spend $75 on a putter cover, why should the company irk you? Aren't they just making money, which is mist if the reason why anyone got involved in the business?

You think this 'irk' has more to do with the consumer and not the company? I enjoy the custom covers and then irons that haven't been fitted. Money well spent eh?

This thread has been quite interesting to read and catch up on.

You think this 'irk' has more to do with the consumer and not the company? I enjoy the custom covers and then irons that haven't been fitted. Money well spent eh?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the whole Scotty thing. I mean, I get the "cultist" argument, but the gripes never seem to center around the company as a whole, just those that play them/collect/etc. I mean, obviously there is a market for the bells and whistles that Cameron offers, or they wouldn't offer them. I just don't see it as a company gripe, that's all.

No big surprise here but for me its Taylormade. Every year they claim that they have changed golf forever and the way that they market their gear really annoys me.
I know that Taylormade makes quality stuff but the way that they market it really rubs me the wrong way.

Yes. Exactly. The ultimate example? Apple.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the whole Scotty thing. I mean, I get the "cultist" argument, but the gripes never seem to center around the company as a whole, just those that play them/collect/etc. I mean, obviously there is a market for the bells and whistles that Cameron offers, or they wouldn't offer them. I just don't see it as a company gripe, that's all.

I think there are reasonable gripes about Scotty practices.. Their limited run offerings are always scooped up immediately by a select group who then flip them to the average collector at a higher price. Same goes for their limited run headcovers, which I guess I can understand the supply/demand concept but they don't really offer a decent variety of stock headcover offerings for normal consumers who have worn down their originals.

You have to buy into the Cameron Club to be able to buy these limited items, which is like 75-100 bucks a year. You get some cool stuff from them, but that's the only way you can buy from them.

If I put them up against a company like SeeMore where you can go and buy a cover right now for 30 bucks that will last you well over a season, I can see the irk. They don't focus on the everyday consumer, they focus on the enthusiasts because they can.

For me it's probably Titleist and Ping. They just have this elitist, arrogant attitude. Also, seems like every sale always excludes Titleist and Ping gear and equipment. Mizuno is also right there as well as another company that comes off as arrogant.

Good call on Apple - I'm an Apply loyalist but of late I'm getting tired of their "minor" upgrades and need to fall out of the cycle of sustaining them. A Samsumg S IV could be in my future.

There is a simple solution there and YOU know it. Make the thread. That isn't what this one was intended for.

It was never my intention to end up in another "discussion". I apologize to you and to the thread.

I'll put it this way then, I think they are more overrated than any other product on the golf market. There are a couple I really like the look of, I've rolled tons and tons of them, but there are just much better products out there AT or BELOW the cost of a Scotty.

Just my take though, everyone is different and that's why I love these threads.

I will agree people are free to spend their money on whatever they want, but think Titleist is going overboard with all the expensive gadgets that they pump out. Yes, the Scotty/Vokey fanatics will buy them and Titleist will make a killing on them. The markup on these items is crazy so I don't see it coming to an end anytime soon.
It really reminds me of the band KISS and their willingness to market anything because they know they have certain collectors that will buy all of it. At some point it seems like the band/company is taking advantage of their followers.

I guess I should add Ping and Titleist because their pricing.

I will agree people are free to spend their money on whatever they want, but think Titleist is going overboard with all the expensive gadgets that they pump out. Yes, the Scotty/Vokey fanatics will buy them and Titleist will make a killing on them. The markup on these items is crazy so I don't see it coming to an end anytime soon.
It really reminds me of the band KISS and their willingness to market anything because they know they have certain collectors that will buy all of it. At some point it seems like the band/company is taking advantage of their followers.

Or like Harley Davidson motorcycles.

Yes this. They have great products but over priced for my tastes

Not sure how Ping makes it in the overpriced argument. But look at the people selling used Titleist/Ping products. Both those companies keep their resale value better than any other maker. Same goes with Cameron

I'll put it this way then, I think they are more overrated than any other product on the golf market. There are a couple I really like the look of, I've rolled tons and tons of them, but there are just much better products out there AT or BELOW the cost of a Scotty.

Just my take though, everyone is different and that's why I love these threads.

I have a counter point, but I am at work right now. So, don't think I gave up. Lol.

Back