It Didn't Used to Bother Me

ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
This isn't about obviously annoying stuff on the course. I simply find that the longer I play, the little stuff starts getting to me. To wit:
  • Gasoline powered golf carts
  • Thick-feeling gloves
  • Tour velvet grips
I could go on, and probably will. What seemingly innocuous stuff is getting to you?

Ground squirrel hunters. No kidding, there are people on our course who carry bb guns to shoot them, while playing golf, lol. This is a small 9 hole course in a small town, (extremely nice), but the squirrels are taking over. However, it's very disturbing to see them laying on their back, feet sticking straight up in the air after getting hit by a pellet or bb.

My other course, 10 miles away is just beginning to see them and it's a very nice 18 hole club.

This isn't about obviously annoying stuff on the course. I simply find that the longer I play, the little stuff starts getting to me. To wit:
  • Thick-feeling gloves
  • Tour velvet grips
I could go on, and probably will. What seemingly innocuous stuff is getting to you?

I hate those things. They are noisy and I don't like carts anyway. I had much rather walk. They smell and they are distracting. In the winter, they are a pain to start sometimes.

I hate those things. They are noisy and I don't like carts anyway. I had much rather walk. They smell and they are distracting. In the winter, they are a pain to start sometimes.

Yeah. Gets mighty cold in them there parts! hehe

I don't ride a lot, but don't gas powered carts seem like they have less power too? Especially on hills?

• Thick-feeling gloves
  • Tour velvet grips
I love all those things...just goes to show you how different we all are.

• Thick-feeling gloves
  • Tour velvet grips

Is it too obvious to say "The older you get the more the little things bother you?" Seems like tolerance diminishes as one gets more and more set in their ways. I'm guessing that the older you get the more convinced you become that "your way" is the best way from years of experience. The more convinced you become that you are generally right about things, the less likely you are to be tolerant. (IMO)

I am thinking that those who are more impatient in their older years, did not accomplish much in their younger years. They are missing something, which allows those little bothersome things to become more of an issue. Not to say that nothing irritates me because there are some things that do. However, there's not much that bothers me, while I am on a golf course.

Im not sure that is it prov. My father is one of the most accomplished people most know in this area and as he has aged to his late 60s early 70s, things bother him that never used to. As people age, they usually get more set in their ways.

People that four putt

People that kneel down to read the putt the day after the greens have been
aerated...

Kids that drive carts instead of walking.

I'm sure I'll think of more later..:act-up: Right now my glass is half empty...lol

Sprinlers running when it's raining

Slow golf carts

Broken unbreakable tees

Gnats

Being out driven by Elizabeth

Fancy belt buckles, lol

Is it too obvious to say "The older you get the more the little things bother you?" Seems like tolerance diminishes as one gets more and more set in their ways. I'm guessing that the older you get the more convinced you become that "your way" is the best way from years of experience. The more convinced you become that you are generally right about things, the less likely you are to be tolerant. (IMO)

It that the voice of experience? Certainly the older I get the more certain things bother me. But not all, not by a long shot.

I am thinking that those who are more impatient in their older years, did not accomplish much in their younger years. They are missing something, which allows those little bothersome things to become more of an issue. Not to say that nothing irritates me because there are some things that do. However, there's not much that bothers me, while I am on a golf course.

I don't think you know enough about me to make that kind of assumption. Just because I don't suffer fools and I want things my way more likely says I accomplished quite a lot because I wouldn't just sit back and take it when things were going wrong. In most human endeavors someone must lead and normally that leader has a very strong sense of what he will accept.

now that I think of it, I feel like I am less tolerant in a lot of things.
But I am not so sure it is being set in my ways as much as moving into a different class of golfer which requires a different view...
examples:
I used to hate driving a cart when I was younger and had the time to walk..Now I barely find time to play and a cart helps me get through 18 with my friends...

When I sported a 20+ handicap, I did not mind playing with my friends who would would garner a few mulligans a round, foot wedge stuff out of the woods/sand etc. Now at a +12'ish, I frown on anyone that does not play by the rules and count every stroke..

A couple of years back, I did not care where I played...as long as I played... Now I seem to be gravitating to the nicer courses that cost more money....

I don't think it is the fact I am getting older in general as much as my life has moved to a different place and the golf game is moving with it...

Congrats on 500 bama!

review_trevor.jpg

People driving buggies on the fairway and slow play are about all that bothers me at the moment.

People driving buggies on the fairway

A lot of courses around here are having you only enter the rough by the cart path and once you are in the fairway, stay there until you reach the green. They don't want you in the rough on the other side of the fairway. Not all are that way, but quite a few are.

It that the voice of experience? Certainly the older I get the more certain things bother me. But not all, not by a long shot.

If things are already starting to bother you at your age..........just wait.

As I get older things seem to bother me that a few years ago wouldn't. I think its the ACCUMULATION, or the final straw that broke the camel's back, that get to me at my ripe old age of 61 (almost 62).

People trying to "fanagle" their way in front of other in a line. Drivers who cut me off, or cut in front of me when there are no cars behind me.

Basically people who think their time is more precious than everyone elses.

Nothing really bothers me on a golf course.

On the golf course, my hijinks with the golf club probably bother people more than things bother me. Off the course, I hate everything.

People trying to "fanagle" their way in front of other in a line. Drivers who cut me off, or cut in front of me when there are no cars behind me.

Or people who drive in the EZPass lane when they don't have one, then cut into the cash lane at the last minute. If you live in NJ, NY or CT - how can you not have an EZPass.

Dudes in the beer carts. Actually I guess that has always bothered me.

:clapp:

Or people who drive in the EZPass lane when they don't have one, then cut into the cash lane at the last minute. If you live in NJ, NY or CT - how can you not have an EZPass.

PA as well.

On the golf course, unnecessary slow play bothers me.

Empty water coolers that a course provides really bothers me on hot days. Esp if I'm out of water and there's no cart person around

People talking on the driving range like they're at a bar (loud, foul language)

People onthe range who buy a bucket and then wal up and down the aisle offering advice to everyonje. Esp. see this with men 'coaching' women

Back