Wedges on a budget

Just_Hacking

"I miss, I miss, I miss, I make"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
16.6I
OK, guys, I need some input on some new or even used wedges. I have been playing TaylorMade RAC wedges for about 3 or more years and I am just not satisfied with them any more. It is probably more of a problem with the person holding the club then the club themselves, but I feel I need to make a change. The main obstacle I have is that I just don't have a lot of extra cash to put towards new wedges. I have never purchased used wedges, but I am sure open to them. I don't think that there is really any place around here that has many used wedges though. I had considered getting at least 1 TaylorMade ATV at Academy Sports as I have a $75.00 gift card for there so I could put $50.00 with that and buy one. Still leaves me needing one more. I have been a TM homer for a while, but I am starting to move past my compulsion and I am open to about any brand that is affordable and performs well. Anyway, I would love to get you guy's input on finding some that won't put me in the hole to badly. Thanks, Y'all!!!

If your short on cash and not set on anything in particular, keep an eye on the marketplace here... or put out a WTB thread with what your interested in. Lot of us have used wedges laying around and could probably help you out.

Cleveland CG15. You can find them for very little now and they are incredible wedges.

Eidolons can be had for dirt cheap and they are the first version of the Scors

I would say try to find some of the CG14 or 15 options out there. Rockbottomgolf has some at a good price.

I was going to suggest the Cleveland CGs as well. I got my three CG16s for a total of not much more than $200.00.

If you are open to any brand, try 2ndswing.com. Tons of used clubs on there.

I can tell you now, I love my ATV wedge, it's perfect for me as a sand wedge, but I'm open to any other wedge for my other 2 wedges, I say try the ATV out, as well as any other wedges you can at your local store, and then check the THP marketplace, or ebay/second swing, and also try budgetgolf.com, they tend to have great stuff, new, but at great prices because they are previous generation stuff!

Keep an eye on the Marketplace here, there are always wedges available for a good deal.

Sorry, epic skim.......

Cleveland CG15. You can find them for very little now and they are incredible wedges.

Talk about taking the words right out of my typing fingers.

Agreed with this. Very cheap and just fantastic wedges. Loved mine.

I love the ATV wedge that I have. You can find them cheaper on here or on the bay.

I have seen ATV on the bay for about $70 new

A used Ping wedge or CG14 should do the trick. They're cast stainless 17-4. So, if they're in good shape, they should have a ton of life left, at least a lot more than a brand new cast 8620 or forged 1025. I play a pair of Wilson TW9 wedges that I got for real cheap last year. I like their and sole grind but for some reason, I hit them a hair shorter than other wedges, and so do my buddies who have tried them as well. I have also played 588s for a longgg time and Macgregor MT Pro wedges for about a year. The Macgregors were easily the best of the bunch but they wore out real quick unfortunately. I think the most important keys are the loft, bounce and sole grind, and the length of the wedges. The Macgregors were both 35.5" versus 35.25" for the 54 and 35.0" for the 60 in all my other wedges; I think that may be why I always seemed to stick them on 3/4 to full shots. Hope this helps.

I love my Wilson Staff FG Tour wedges so far. $70 bucks a piece at Golfsmith, maybe less on other sites.

Do you live anywhere near Golfsmith. I know the last time I was there I found Mizuno MP-T4 wedges $35 used and bought one (they were basically brand new since they had only come out 2 weeks before). You can find some killer deals at GS if you look hard.

I think you could have great luck finding something in the market place here. Or you can look at ebay.

I like buying used wedges cheap and resharpening the grooves with a groove sharpener. Saved me a lot of money over the years.

Callaway Jaws.

Golfdealsandsteals.com. They have new ATV wedges for $70 and used one for $60.

+1... Good set of wedges for a good price now. Can't go wrong with these.

There have been a lot of good wedge deals lately (I think there have even been some on the ATVs...). I will also support the Cleveland wedges. And since you are a Taylormade homer (as you said in OP), and they now own Adams, I've actually heard some of the Tom Watson wedges are pretty good, especially for the price.

You will probably get the Callaway X-series Jaws wedges new for $60 each online. They are a great wedge, some tour players are still using them

Right now, the Wilson FG Tour and Nike VR Pro wedges are on sale for $70 if you are looking for something new. Cleveland CG14 are even less.

Just follow the Deal of the Day thread, most every wedge mentioned here has been listed within the last few weeks. Great deals there every day.

Back