The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess so!

I hit some balls yesterday and ended up quitting because my lower back didn't really feel right. Going to give it another try today.
All that cold makes the bones and muscles tight!

Went to the range with a buddy and the train seriously came off the rails when i was hitting driver, woods and long irons. All of them and i mean all of them were going out to the right. I even picked 2 markers on the range to try help me vision them as a fairway. Out of 20 drives i think only 4 were inside the markers. In the end i got so frustrated i just went and spent the rest of my time working on short game.

Lets hope tomorrows round goes better then last nights range session

I feel your pain, Kelly....

With the weather warming up considerably I went out to the somewhat soggy range for a session today. Like my last range session, it was a mixed bag. I was hitting my driver and 3W well yet again, only losing a few left, but otherwise only strayed a few yards off target. Very happy with the way I'm swinging the woods. But again....it was the irons that perplexed and frustrated me today.

A chat with Mward a week or so ago had me thinking...how could I go from fading and sometimes slicing my irons to pull hooking them? He told me that since I was now releasing the clubhead more, my over the top swing path combined with the release of the clubhead which produced a pull hook. Makes sense. So I tried to work on delivering the club more on the inside of the ball when I was striking my irons....and with the 8-9-PW, on good strikes, this produced a straight or slight draw which was certainly playable. On the 5-6-7...I just couldn't hit a good ball. Thins, chunks, and when I felt the ball compress and saw it fly high and strong....it just hooked off of the planet.

I want my old swing back.

Sorry to hear it, JN. Might just be a little thing or two. Go take a quick lesson dude!

Sort of frustrated myself. I've really been out of commission for a week now with all the stuff going on at home. Have hit a few here and there, but I'm feeling like I'm off my routine. Things are coming around though, so hopefully will be able to get something going in the next day or two. Going to try to rest up because this damn lower back still hurts.

Terrible range session last night. Probably 30/70 in terms of decent shots and awful shots. Coming in too steep, hitting it out on the toe, still coming a bit over the top and hitting a fade. All the things I was supposed to not be doing after my last lesson. Frustrating.

Long drive season is starting soon so.its time to get the 5, 6, & 7degree drivers back out and hit the ranges. hopefully I don't break to many shafts, or myself lol.

Really hoping I can find time to hit balls tonight. If not, at least should be able to do something both days this weekend. I was really bummed about my last couple attempts at practice.

So I was looking at my oobgolf stats today and discovered that I am beating the average on the site significantly in GIR (i.e. ball striking) and losing to the field by around 0.3 ish average on average putts per hole (translates to around 6 or 7 putts a round). If I could get that down to the average I could shave my cap down to around 10, which is a goal of mine this year, and ball striking improvement would be icing on the cake.

So obviously need to work on my putting! Anyone got any real good putting drills they use that they'd like to share? I just do the 3 ball from one spot deal, rinse and repeat.

So obviously need to work on my putting! Anyone got any real good putting drills they use that they'd like to share? I just do the 3 ball from one spot deal, rinse and repeat.

One of my favorite drills is the circle drill. Start with a 3 foot circle with X amount of balls around the hole and try to make them all in a row. Then move back to 6 feet. Again, make them all in a row, then move back to 9ft...ect, ect, ect and then you move back in ending with 3 footers again.

What's your miss, SkiBum?

One of my favorite drills is the circle drill. Start with a 3 foot circle with X amount of balls around the hole and try to make them all in a row. Then move back to 6 feet. Again, make them all in a row, then move back to 9ft...ect, ect, ect and then you move back in ending with 3 footers again.

I like this. I know the "get all your putts from X distance inside an X radius circle" deal, but this is a cool variation.

And Hawk, my miss is generally a pull (left for me) on line and short on distance. I'll even miss downhill putts short sometimes cause I get scared of blowing it past the hole.

Check your set up. Your body might be opened up, which can make you pull across your body.

This is just me, but here's what I did to help myself when I was missing short due to being tenative. I shortened my back stroke and made a more aggressive stroke through the ball. That's a relative term - not trying to hammer the ball or anything. Just made sure I was actually trying to put the normal amount of speed on the ball and controlled it with a smaller move back.

Great, thanks Hawk, will try that today on the green.

Again, this is just me, but...

If I'm pulling the ball, I'm basically taking an outside in stroke.

I needed a good practice session tonight. Feeling a bit angsty with all the changes going on at home and a couple poor sessions. Big key was just swinging the club and staying loose. Had a couple goals going in and got there, so I quit on a high note. Putted a bit too and that was fine.

Had a great ranger today. Worked on irons for about an hour and felt great about the results. Hope the changes start showing up on the course soon.

You coming to the QC any time this summer, lambro?

Three consecutive practice sessions that I'd consider good to very good. Back is still a bit tight, but doesn't seem to affect my ability to hit the ball now.

Posted via tapatalk.

Three consecutive practice sessions that I'd consider good to very good. Back is still a bit tight, but doesn't seem to affect my ability to hit the ball now.

Posted via tapatalk.

Good stuff hawk. My last couple sessions have been encouraging. I can't wait to get out to the outdoor range. I'm getting sick of the dome.

I hear that. Ready for green grass.

Posted via tapatalk.

Practiced putting for about an hour today and short game for 30 minutes. Great session, excited for more.

I was able to take advantage of some very generous THPers today. Cokkie and Jman brought quite a few items for us to hit today. I played around with the B-Asha 4x, the JDL 6s, some green i20's, capt.dru's new cobra 3W, Jman's scor's, cookie's J40's (for the entire round), and I don't rember what else. It was such a great day. But the best thing about today was, the round of golf with THPer's fantastic day all around.

Got some more range time in yesterday with my new overlap grip. Also got my 1st Sun burn of the year!!!!! Yay for 82 degrees. Hit the ball rather well again, but I will need to take some time to get the feel of everything when it comes to chipping.

Channeling my inner Jason Gore. And swing thought for today "Must beat team Callaway, Must beat Team Callaway...and Nate....."

Spoiler

Spoiler

Invitational prep. I like it! That's a big motivator for me right now as well. I hit balls last night with the boy. Pretty low key since I usually just try to make it a fun thing for him, but I can get a little out of it. Mainly working on smoothness and posture. Instructor wants me a little more upright and it's actually produces some very good results, especially in the longer clubs. Feel like I can extend a little more and get some more club speed. Only concern I have is that my hands have sat very low for a long time and I worry that my lie angles are going to be wrong now. I have no idea if that's a valid concern, but I have to worry about something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back