Reshafting price?

Getitclose

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
So I'm looking into pulling the heads off of my C-Tapers and putting new heads on. I have never had to reshaft irons, so I'm lost when it comes to pricing. I'm just looking for a general/round-about answer. This is what I need done;

Pull the heads off of the shafts
Clean them(if needed)
Re-instal shafts into new heads

I don't need new shafts, nor grips. Just a basic swap. If its going to be too much, I probably won't do it.

My shop charges 10 for the pull and 10 for the install. I'd guess big box stores are a bit more. Since you have steel, why not pull them yourself and save the money? It's super easy and there's little to no risk with steel.

THPing on Tapatalk

Are you saying $10 a club? Ya if its gonna run me that much, maybe ill learn how to do it. What tools do you need? Heat gun, knife, wire brush?

Just scares me doing it myself. I'm the only person who could eff up a free bowl of soup..

I thought it would be too difficult as well, but pulled my VRs components off my PXi's to sell the shafts. It was so simple with a heat gun/vice/glove. Can't imagine putting them back on would be difficult.

But if you don't have the stuff to do it and don't plan on doing it again, would make since to shop around since getting the equipment might cost just as much.

EDIT: Couldn't find it at first, but here is a good link. I think there are a couple more in here as well:

Reshafting step by step

Hawk Method

It is actually pretty easy, have fun if you decide to go for it.

Last edited:
If you do it yourself, be careful how you heat the heads, or you'll be replacing ferrules too. If you're careful, you can save the ferrules. The shop by me charges $10 per club and that includes new ferrules.

I pay 30$ a club but that's spined, frequency matched and weighted. Also MOI'd

I have done it multiple times it is not that hard you can always try on a older club give it a test run and see how it works for you if you don't feel comfortable take it to a shop

Are you saying $10 a club? Ya if its gonna run me that much, maybe ill learn how to do it. What tools do you need? Heat gun, knife, wire brush?

Just scares me doing it myself. I'm the only person who could eff up a free bowl of soup..

Hawk put up a thread called "poor man's guide to reshafting golf iron" as I remembered. I'll look for the link later. The process is quite simple and easy to follow. If you follow his guide I don't think you can eff up.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I have a heat gun and the other tools needed, I just have never done it before? I thought you had to buy new ferrules anyway you did it? The way I've seen it done is; you heat the ferrule lightly until it bubbles a little, cut it, then pull the shaft.

I went to Golfsmith. If you have 6 or more irons reshafted you get 20% off. They charge $19.99 per club.

Golf Galaxy charges $19 per club to reshaft

I have a heat gun and the other tools needed, I just have never done it before? I thought you had to buy new ferrules anyway you did it? The way I've seen it done is; you heat the ferrule lightly until it bubbles a little, cut it, then pull the shaft.

I put my irons in a hot bucket of water to soften the fertile until I can turn it loose. You can use heat gun as well. The thing to be careful is not to overheat them. Consider the price is not to expensive, I'd just replace them. I usually go to my local golf store for them for about $5 a dz. Measure the diameter to get right size.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone know the tip size of C-Tapers? Lol

Personally I would remove the old heads myself but for reinstallation I would take them to get done at a shop so they can be swing weighted properly and consistent through the set. Or if planning on doing this a few times I may invest in a swing weight scale.

If you have a shop do it, it could cost over a hundred.
If you have a vise or a shaft puller, put your club in the vise, use a heat gun or blow torch on the hosel (moving it in different areas) for 6-8 seconds, so you dont disform the metal, take a razor and cut off the ferule, twist off the head. For re-installing: get some epoxy (shouldnt be any more than $15, dont get quick-set). Get a wire brush that fits into the hosel (i got a .5" and a .1" to get as much gunk out as possible), clean the hosels out, sand the end of the shaft a bit. Put a bit of epoxy on a popsicle stick and get it on the sides of the inside of the hosel, and some on the shaft, slide the ferule on, shove the shaft on, wipe off access epoxy ASAP

what it cost me to do 6 irons (excluding shafts and grips) was about $18.

I went to Golfsmith. If you have 6 or more irons reshafted you get 20% off. They charge $19.99 per club.

Does this include the pull? If so, same price as me. If not, that's absurd.

THPing on Tapatalk

Does this include the pull? If so, same price as me. If not, that's absurd.

THPing on Tapatalk

Yes it does.

So I'm looking into pulling the heads off of my C-Tapers and putting new heads on. I have never had to reshaft irons, so I'm lost when it comes to pricing. I'm just looking for a general/round-about answer. This is what I need done;

Pull the heads off of the shafts
Clean them(if needed)
Re-instal shafts into new heads

I don't need new shafts, nor grips. Just a basic swap. If its going to be too much, I probably won't do it.

I just recently had my irons reshafted from Dicks Sporting Goods and they gave me a great deal. I just asked the manager of the golf dept. what kind of deal he would give me to install my new kbs shafts on my iron heads and re-grip all the clubs. He did the install and the regripping for $80+tax! That was a great deal. I would check around and compare prices against others and you will get the best deal that way.

So...I've went a different route. I got a set of MB 712, Project X shafts, and Lamkin grips. I just need Edwin Watts to put it all together for me. I need to make sure the lie is 1 degree upright. Should checking that cost any more money?

So...I've went a different route. I got a set of MB 712, Project X shafts, and Lamkin grips. I just need Edwin Watts to put it all together for me. I need to make sure the lie is 1 degree upright. Should checking that cost any more money?

They won't charge you to check it if you pay em to assemble them. Again would be likely they bend them free too, but they might charge for the bend.

THPing on Tapatalk

Back