What is the one trend in clubs that you're not a fan of.....

I also hate the current pricing on golf gear, it's so freakin rediculous and out of hand.

Price. Hybrid for $299 is straight up absurd!!

Yeah, I remember thinking 160 was stupid for a 3W. Now they're 229+ easy. WTC? I, too, shop the clearance aisles for gear. Even shoes and bags. I will never ever ever ever pay 200 bones for a pair of shoes, and why do bags cost so much?
If I can buy ALL this stuff at 50%+ off a year or two down the road, whytheF don't they just sell it at a price we're more likely to buy in the first place?
JB surely knows for sure, but I'd bet a pair of shoes costs 1/15th of what they charge...or less. All that marketing comes at a price...literally.

I miss the square drivers. Now that's something that worked, but no it's all about the white drivers.

Even though I'm a TM guy through and through....named my daughter Taylor for goodness sakes....I've never fallen in love with the white paint....I know they aren't switching back to the black for the new stuff for marketing/free advertising on the PGA Tour but I miss the black stuff. I have a club maker who refinishes heads....maybe I'll get him to make me a black R1. :act-up:
the white is quite annoying, but is really really nice for alignment.

I'll say price. It is getting ridiculous.

I did.....I loved the named! :act-up:

Whoa - you really named your daughter Taylor because of TM? Someone should let TM know about that.

I have not been a fan of the white club head trend, either. I actually think that the new crown graphics on the R1 and RBZ2 act to mute the stark white color of the club head, though. I think it's an improvement overall.

Simialrly, I am not a fan of the matte black finish of some club heads. I know lots of people like that look, but I find it distracting.

yea the long shafts are rediculous but just another (along with the rediculous names) way to market to a crowd that doesnt know whats best for them. Get an ignorant buyer in a sim at sports authority or something. Hand him a cool looking club with a cool long shaft, with the cool name of rocketbalz or burner superfast 2.0 or something and look at his swingspeed with a 46 and 1/2 " shaft and combine it with the one or two balls he may have hit straight for 300 yrds on the sim and bam! he's the new kid on the block with a set of rockatebalz even though he has no idea wether or not they are the clubs for him not even to mention fitted.

It's the longer shafts, they make everything so hard to hit!

since we are talking about clubs..... I get annoyed with the pricing. Yes, we can all agree that golf is not cheap but the MASS MAJORITY of amateur/beginner golfers are on a budget. Like some of you, I wait a season, or wait towards the end of the year to buy my gear because its so much cheaper and you're still getting some of the most recent stuff at a really good discounted price. I bought my Nike VRS driver October 2012 at $189. Had I bought the same driver in Feb or May, I would have been paying upwards of $299 or $399.

So for me, its the whole price thing that bugs me.

Cast irons. Everybody knows forged should be the only option available.

I agree on price...I've never actually hit a current year club, because there's no way I could afford it. I can't even start looking for at least one model year back.

Exactly why I search the used racks....there is no way I buy a brand new club today...no way. Total waste of money.

since we are talking about clubs..... I get annoyed with the pricing. Yes, we can all agree that golf is not cheap but the MASS MAJORITY of amateur/beginner golfers are on a budget. Like some of you, I wait a season, or wait towards the end of the year to buy my gear because its so much cheaper and you're still getting some of the most recent stuff at a really good discounted price. I bought my Nike VRS driver October 2012 at $189. Had I bought the same driver in Feb or May, I would have been paying upwards of $299 or $399.

So for me, its the whole price thing that bugs me.

Prices...

Clubs are getting to be just like cars.....more expensive to "Drive".

As someone who just discovered the game a few years ago at the age of 50, I think most "game improvement" clubs aren't really going to improve one's game and in many cases (stronger lofts, longer shafts) may well destroy one's ability to actually learn to play it. The prices of new equipment are ludicrous and the marketing is so focused on "long" there's no focus on actually getting a ball in a hole far away in the fewest number of strokes. I'm probably as much of a "gear head" as anybody, but at least wised up fairly early to getting fit for my actual game and working with a good teaching pro rather than buying retail OEM. For most players, particularly those of us that are older, I'm NEVER GOING TO DRIVE THE BALL 300+ yards and I'm not going to waste my time or money trying to. Drivers being sold as "male enhancement" aids, just leave me cold - lol

As someone who just discovered the game a few years ago at the age of 50, I think most "game improvement" clubs aren't really going to improve one's game and in many cases (stronger lofts, longer shafts) may well destroy one's ability to actually learn to play it. The prices of new equipment are ludicrous and the marketing is so focused on "long" there's no focus on actually getting a ball in a hole far away in the fewest number of strokes. I'm probably as much of a "gear head" as anybody, but at least wised up fairly early to getting fit for my actual game and working with a good teaching pro rather than buying retail OEM. For most players, particularly those of us that are older, I'm NEVER GOING TO DRIVE THE BALL 300+ yards and I'm not going to waste my time or money trying to. Drivers being sold as "male enhancement" aids, just leave me cold - lol

I think you may have the wrong impression of what puts a club design in the GI or SGI category, but I definitely agree that an unbiased fitting will benefit almost everybody.

"The Hot List", or ANY other "rating" that is determined by advertising expenditures.

Paying $400 for a driver so pros can have them free, and the companies can claim "Most played driver on Tour"....

yea, expensive sport unfortunately. My last set were knock offs or clones (whatever you call um) for money reasons. For ten years and still work great as the day i bought um. Got my new set cobra's just recently and when after i knew what i wanted I kept waiting and searching for best price and got very lucky with a good sale price. was not for that i really was buying set of clones again. And they can be great too.

But anyway, money, money, money, its getting to the point where its gonna cost ya 5 bucks just to wake up in the morning and another 5 if you want clean air to breathe. It just stinks sometimes

It would have to be marketing clubs as having so much more distance, when in reality they've just added a half inch or more to the shaft length and strengthened the lofts by several degrees. It irks me to no end when people are like "Ha Ha I can hit my 6 iron 190 and you can only hit it 175!" when they don't realize that their 6 iron is essentially a 5 or 4.5 iron in my older, higher lofted set. Not to mention they can't often hit the dang thing straight, but that's beside the point :banghead:

For me it's how frequent new lines come out. Everything should be on a 2 year cycle. Nothing less.

My brother said the same thing. I told him the short cycles are A GOOD thing. Here's my reason why. You let all the 'suckers' buy the latest and 'greatest', then you buy last year's stuff at a huge discount. I have a $2,000 bag at retail that I paid $650 for, plus I traded stuff into global golf, so it was really only about $400 cash for all brand new, mint clubs. Just 8 months later.

I love the current release schedules.

Tap

Driver shaft lengths! I would also like to see more drivers being developed for amateur swing speeds instead of tour swing speeds.

My brother said the same thing. I told him the short cycles are A GOOD thing. Here's my reason why. You let all the 'suckers' buy the latest and 'greatest', then you buy last year's stuff at a huge discount. I have a $2,000 bag at retail that I paid $650 for, plus I traded stuff into global golf, so it was really only about $400 cash for all brand new, mint clubs. Just 8 months later.

I love the current release schedules.

Tap
Good point! :clapp:

Shafts that cost $350 but are included in a club that costs $299.

Those shafts are NOT the same thing that the club maker has....they are "made for" shafts the equipment companies put in their clubs. The quality is not the same at all. For example last year Callaway came out with a club with a Project X shaft in it. The clubmaker at the PGA Tour SS here in Atlanta put the shafts on the frequency shaft monitor and they were all over the board. The shafts that actually came from Project X were on/very close to their stated stiffness. The 6.0 in the Callaway clubs were coming out closer to 5.0's...all were much weaker than the stated stiffness.

Shafts that cost $350 but are included in a club that costs $299.

White driver's or in the case of Cobra, colored drivers. Just doesn't work for me. I like darker color's much better, either black or dark grey. Same with putters. I'm old school maybe, but I like dark. Bright looks great, but not so good for me in the sun.

Back