What is the one trend in clubs that you're not a fan of.....

Misconceptions

Yea I am not a huge fan of the quick cycle times. I mean you buy a driver or set of irons and BAM a new model comes out to replace yours. Take last years RBZ. People bought them up then now TM say oh these are not as good as these so your once $700 set of irons are now worth 200

Those shafts are NOT the same thing that the club maker has....they are "made for" shafts the equipment companies put in their clubs. The quality is not the same at all. For example last year Callaway came out with a club with a Project X shaft in it. The clubmaker at the PGA Tour SS here in Atlanta put the shafts on the frequency shaft monitor and they were all over the board. The shafts that actually came from Project X were on/very close to their stated stiffness. The 6.0 in the Callaway clubs were coming out closer to 5.0's...all were much weaker than the stated stiffness.

Made for is different than the aftermarket. He's talking about something like the Black Tie in the RFE or the Diamana+ in the 913. However, those shafts are made in China and have lower tolerances than the Japanese ones. Same shaft, but lower tolerances.

THPing on Tapatalk

For me it's the longer shafts in drivers, fairway woods and hybrids. Even though I'm 6'1" I have a tough time controlling my shots with these longer shafts. I think I've shortened every driver and fairway wood shaft I've bought in the last 2 years.

I think distance is getting a bit out of control. Not because I have to figure out how far my clubs travel but more what do I with the bottom of my bag.
I've been hitting the Xhot pro and they are at least a club longer than my gamers. At its rate I'll have to fill the gap between 150-0. That means 4 wedges And something comes out of the bag.
Distance is great and I'll play them but at some point it's going to time to move onto another aspect of the game. I also know I have a choice to not play them.

I don't know of it's a passed trend, but I don't like those huge spider style putters....mallet, fine, but those uss enterprise looking things...terrible.

Distance marketing is the one thing that I don't buy.

Mine are all the crazy colors. I know people love blue colored drivers but its just not for me.

Like so many others, the stronger lofts, longer shafts, etc. to market distance to the misguided. Hoping the worm turns and they switch to marketing accuracy.

The length of drivers and the crown graphics. I like the different color options, but there is just way too much going on with TM's paint jobs. I like their clubs, but the graffiti is just too much for me...

price would be my #1 gripe, probably. As a father of 3 kids 12 and under who are getting into golf, the price issue gets exponentially more important. Equipment for the kids is either cheap/garbage or ridiculously expensive/nice quality for something they outgrow so quickly. That and the lack of affordably priced junior golf gear. Obviously, there isn't much of a market for it, or someone would be hitting it already.

Outrageous prices and current "buzz words" irritate me the most. This years "buzz word" seems to be HOT or HOTTER or HOTTEST face ever made. Therefore you will get the most amazing distance you have ever seen with your driver...............until next year.

With prices in the $400-$450 range for one of these "HOT faced" drivers.......... be careful that you don't get burned.

Yep, pricing is my #1 annoyance as well.

You seem to hit most of this on the head in here. I am with you on the price and clubs coming out every six months for sure it is ridiculous. I for instance have had two sets of irons in the last 14 years. 1999 Hogan Apex and Bridgestone J33 CB; like some of you have said hit the range if you want to improve. Now getting fit does make a huge difference, if you are going spend some money this where you should do it. Make sure you get the right size clubs, grips, and shafts for your game.

There's a few thing that really wind me up

The main one is the club turn around times, I've spent £200 on a driver, weeks after launch to find out before the end of the season there is another one coming out.

White clubs for me too. I might get into them down the road, but I have stayed away from them so far.

I like Taylormade, but I don't like how often the stuff comes out. I mean, the 2012 R11S has about the same resale value as the 2011 Titleist 910's.

How come I don't feel like the price of clubs has changed much over the years?

How come I don't feel like the price of clubs has changed much over the years?

Because when you look at them with those scary eyes they almost give them to you just to get you out of their store.

Because when you look at them with those scary eyes they almost give them to you just to get you out of their store.

It's all I got.

I don't like the "longer and lighter" philosophy very much, but it's not a big deal as there are plenty of options in every swing weight.

For me it's probably the name of the clubs. They try so hard to be trendy with words like "Razr" "HOT" "Xtreme" and of course "ROCKETBALLZ". I like weird numbers for names like R11S or 910D2...just seems nice and technical, which I like.

my #1 beef with the game is club makers presenting clubs as a fix all. fortunately for them, people in general are so gullible &/or desperate that they don't realize it's their own fault they aren't as good as they want to be. the concept applies for almost any situation - a product might make something easier to do but the operator has to still perform that task themselves. until Christmas 2011, I used the same clubs that I got at Wal-Mart in 2000. I knew I wasn't going to instantly get better & by golly how right I was. I took lessons for the first time & without those I would've just been a huge poser. hell, with those lessons I could've probably played just as well with my 13 year old set as I do now. I laugh at people who buy new clubs every year & still shoot in the 100's.

The longer and so much better than last years claims are getting a little ridiculous. It's hard to keep up with equipment changes and so called improvements. I agree with a two year or three year cycle but the equipment companies never will. Too much competition to get the almighty dollar.

my #1 beef with the game is club makers presenting clubs as a fix all. fortunately for them, people in general are so gullible &/or desperate that they don't realize it's their own fault they aren't as good as they want to be. the concept applies for almost any situation - a product might make something easier to do but the operator has to still perform that task themselves. until Christmas 2011, I used the same clubs that I got at Wal-Mart in 2000. I knew I wasn't going to instantly get better & by golly how right I was. I took lessons for the first time & without those I would've just been a huge poser. hell, with those lessons I could've probably played just as well with my 13 year old set as I do now. I laugh at people who buy new clubs every year & still shoot in the 100's.

I kind of feel bad for them in a way. Obviously they have been misguided in their search for a better game, but it's hard to blame the manufacturers for this. They make a product in order to sell it and they have to pump it up, that's just good business.
Many players (myself included in this) buy new clubs because they LOVE IT. I don't know if it's the tech, the marketing, or a bit of both but I love trying new clubs. Once something outperforms what I have consistently and by a wide enough margin I will find a way to buy it.

Back