Nike VRS Covert Driver Preview

A bit juiced up and thinking about giving it a whirl, we'll see!

doc

Looking at gaming one myself this year. Cool driver and best of luck with your new toy.

doc

nice Stick

Cool new video

OK I am going to give this thing another shot. Nike is having a demo day at the nice club near my house. Hopefully I will get better service there.

Amazing. "The magical 180." What's so magical about that? 70% of THPers can do that, apparently.

LOL. Not this guy. The most ball speed I got yesterday on the monitor was right at 150. That's with your typical range ball.

I'd love to see ONE THPer hit 180 on the monitor at The Outing. In fact, I'll buy a drink to the first one that does it and actually hits it relatively straight.

LOL. Not this guy. The most ball speed I got yesterday on the monitor was right at 150. That's with your typical range ball.

I'd love to see ONE THPer hit 180 on the monitor at The Outing. In fact, I'll buy a drink to the first one that does it and actually hits it relatively straight.

That's the key combo there lol. I'm happy at 150-155

I'd be happy with Peterson's ball speed of 144

I hit the Tour version of this on an LM over the weekend.....and boy it was horrible. Hard to keep straight and just didn't go anywhere. Maxed my ball speed out at 156, took the VRS from last year out of the demo bag and put up 159-165 over about 4 swings. All the guys in the pro shop were talking about how the heck they were going to sell the 5 Tour models they had. They had raving reviews for the Normal version though, and can't even get them in the store. They even had a guy buy their Demo club since they are back ordered. Crazy how much of a difference there could be in such similar drivers.

I hit the Tour version of this on an LM over the weekend.....and boy it was horrible. Hard to keep straight and just didn't go anywhere. Maxed my ball speed out at 156, took the VRS from last year out of the demo bag and put up 159-165 over about 4 swings. All the guys in the pro shop were talking about how the heck they were going to sell the 5 Tour models they had. They had raving reviews for the Normal version though, and can't even get them in the store. They even had a guy buy their Demo club since they are back ordered. Crazy how much of a difference there could be in such similar drivers.

From reading the specs, I don't think they are as similar as they may seem at first glance. It sounds like the tour model has a much smaller sweet spot, less forgiving face that's higher spin and a shaft that's tougher to hit.

You notice in the video that they aren't hitting the Tour model? interesting...

I've hit the regular model at least 8 different sessions and it never disappoints. Am on the verge of buying; plan to put it head to head against the R1 and 913D2 and see which one really jumps out. Am getting very similar LM numbers for each.

I've hit the regular model at least 8 different sessions and it never disappoints. Am on the verge of buying; plan to put it head to head against the R1 and 913D2 and see which one really jumps out. Am getting very similar LM numbers for each.

The price difference should be the first thing that jumps out. Aren't those other two you mentioned at least $100 more?

The price difference should be the first thing that jumps out. Aren't those other two you mentioned at least $100 more?

Yeah the other two are $100 more, so that is definitely a consideration. I'd be willing to pay it if I feel more comfortable with the others, but if I keep hitting the Covert like I have been, then I think it's a done deal. I started to hit it on the higher lofts with better results that 9.5. The salesman wanted to correct it by putting back down to 9.5 instead and I had to tell him it was fine where it was.

Yeah the other two are $100 more, so that is definitely a consideration. I'd be willing to pay it if I feel more comfortable with the others, but if I keep hitting the Covert like I have been, then I think it's a done deal. I started to hit it on the higher lofts with better results that 9.5. The salesman wanted to correct it by putting back down to 9.5 instead and I had to tell him it was fine where it was.

Mine is good at 10.5. Tomorrow I'll try it at 9.5 and 11.5 and see what that does.

Had the screw that holds the head to the shaft strip from the threads on the adapter. Went to one Golfsmith and they wouldn't swap it out and wanted to send it back to Nike. Ended up going to another Golfsmith and returned it and got the Covert Tour instead. Guess I don't need to look for a different shaft.

ANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD I bought one.

Couldn't take it anymore. Bought the driver and 3 wood today. 3 wood is typical for me, can't get it in the air off the deck (that's why we have hybrids right??) but it works well off the tee.

The driver however is specfreakintacular. Sure there is a difference in distance from a heel hit to a dead center hit but it's so much more minimal now compared to previous models and other drivers as well. The wind was hideous to compare distance to the '12 model but the range near the golf shop is 250 yards to the fence and I hit the majority of them into the fence with about 235 carry using range rocks. I'm hoping to see 10-15 more with my regular balls and no headwind (I was short on irons as well today, wind was embarrasing) because if I can carry 250 with this club in the real world, it's going to make my home course a bit easier with hazard carrries.

ANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD I bought one.

Couldn't take it anymore. Bought the driver and 3 wood today. 3 wood is typical for me, can't get it in the air off the deck (that's why we have hybrids right??) but it works well off the tee.

The driver however is specfreakintacular. Sure there is a difference in distance from a heel hit to a dead center hit but it's so much more minimal now compared to previous models and other drivers as well. The wind was hideous to compare distance to the '12 model but the range near the golf shop is 250 yards to the fence and I hit the majority of them into the fence with about 235 carry using range rocks. I'm hoping to see 10-15 more with my regular balls and no headwind (I was short on irons as well today, wind was embarrasing) because if I can carry 250 with this club in the real world, it's going to make my home course a bit easier with hazard carrries.

nice. You get the tour or regular?

I haven't hit the 3w or hybrids and at this point I don't really want to. I hit my current 3w a mile and half and my hybrids just behind that so I don't want to mess with them. :)

Mine is good at 10.5. Tomorrow I'll try it at 9.5 and 11.5 and see what that does.

Pretty simple results. 10.5 perfect. 9.5 to low. 11.5 too high.

you guys are lucky .. here in Australia, we are still awaiting stock to arrive to demo ...

just noticed that these are a 'deep faced' drivers as opposed to a 'shallow faced' driver. I'd personally prefer shallow faced drivers .. so unfortunately, this may not be for me :(

you guys are lucky .. here in Australia, we are still awaiting stock to arrive to demo ...

just noticed that these are a 'deep faced' drivers as opposed to a 'shallow faced' driver. I'd personally prefer shallow faced drivers .. so unfortunately, this may not be for me :(

The performance head isn't that deep.

how many heads are there .. is the performance head the tour head ? i.e. < 460cc ? don't know if i am capable of using a tour head at this stage !

i should take a look online hey ? really can't wait to try these out in Oz ... wonder if we are getting all the options like you guys are getting in the US ?

how many heads are there .. is the performance head the tour head ? i.e. < 460cc ? don't know if i am capable of using a tour head at this stage !

i should take a look online hey ? really can't wait to try these out in Oz ... wonder if we are getting all the options like you guys are getting in the US ?[/QUOT

Tour head 430cc and performance head 460cc.

Back