Is Colin Montgomerie Worthy of the Hall of Fame?

I believe he is referring to not knowing who Ray Floyd is/was. FWIW, I think not knowing him might be a bigger knock than not knowing Monty, at least over here.

The euros in this thread are really getting their Hineys chapped up aren't they?

^Siri probably sucks.

I think he had a good career but I have to agree with Mr Floyd on his stance

I really hope this is a joke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I believe he is referring to not knowing who Ray Floyd is/was. FWIW, I think not knowing him might be a bigger knock than not knowing Monty, at least over here.
I've heard the name of Colin Montgomerie but never Ray Floyd... haha.

It's the World Golf Hall of Fame, yes I think he is just as deserving as Couples, proabably more so.

This is a real two edged sword here. If you only look at his record straight up then no, however you have to take into account those things that do not show in pure stats. Mainly as was said before this man was hugely responsible for how big the Ryder cup is. He is pretty much a national hero in europe having one of the strongest records ever in the Ryder Cup. So before you only look at stats think of the things you can't put on paper about our national sports heroes.

Montgomerie was a great player. I do feel people are getting in way too early. The LPGA does it right IMHO..

As much as he was a very good golf player I cant help but find him a smug, arrogant, self centered pompous individual whenever I have seen him play and listened to him commentate. Some of his behaviour on the course over the years has been a disgrace and as a commentator for Sky sports he just cant help dragging the conversation back onto himself

No, but I also don't think Freddy Couples is a Hall of Famer......

As much as he was a very good golf player I cant help but find him a smug, arrogant, self centered pompous individual whenever I have seen him play and listened to him commentate. Some of his behaviour on the course over the years has been a disgrace and as a commentator for Sky sports he just cant help dragging the conversation back onto himself

I feel the same. Monty has always been an ass. I'd love to see him denied of the HOF. I could point at this stat or another for why I don't think he should get in, but the truth is I just don't like him and don't want him in.

I've met him on a few occasions and only for that brief time i can only say he was really nice and nothing like you would suggest or you imagine. At times on the course he has been really rude but I bring you back to the treatment he has received off fans at Congressional in 1997 or at Ryder Cups past it's never been isolated incidents he has had some horrible things shouted at him. Sports fans are fickle, they shout at players all the time and when the player reacts they are disgusted.

I don't think so. I think winning a major should be mandatory.

I agree agree agree, unless you are talking about some other sort of pioneering in the game - something I don't think fits CM.

I say no. Looking at the criteria for the PGA tour and the International ballot I would say that there are some major differences. On the PGA tour you have to have at least 10 wins and or 2 majors and a Players. While on the international ballot it says you have to have 50 points, with points being won in Majors, The Players but also being given points for Ryder and Presidents cup wins/participation and wins on ALL other tours including the PGA tour. If you look, Monty got in solely based on his Euro wins which I'm not discounting. I think the whole player with the most votes over 50% waters down the HOF and I think a major, at least 1 should be mandatory. I think all team play should not count. What I'm trying to say is that there should be one criteria and wins on both tours should almost be mandatory as well as majors. While Monty was a good player I don't think he is HOF worthy.

No chance! Winning a major shows you can do it over 4 days winning many order of merits shows that you are consistent. Luke Donald was no1 and not for winning a major

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am all for championing our European golfer's achievements and I don't think that anyone on here whether European or American will deny what Monty has done is one hell of a golf career.

Is what he has done worthy of HOF? No I do not think so.

The rules initially meant that he definitely would not get in, but after the slight change he gets in. This would suggest a dilution of the criteria to pamper to someone's agenda.

I know folks probably won't like me as a Brit saying that, but rules is rules.

If however there were a European specific, HOF he would be one of the greats.

I guess he does. 31 wins in itself is very good just as he was very good for a long time. As well as his Ryder Cup record.

doc

Back