Cleveland Classic XL & XL Custom Driver Preview Thread

It's all relative to the person, of course, so I'm just basing things off the other drivers I've hit this year. For me, launch is pretty similar to what I'd see from the R1 with the higher loft settings. Maybe a bit higher.

Anecdotal, but I think the forgiveness is almost exactly the same.

It's all relative to the person, of course, so I'm just basing things off the other drivers I've hit this year. For me, launch is pretty similar to what I'd see from the R1 with the higher loft settings. Maybe a bit higher.

Anecdotal, but I think the forgiveness is almost exactly the same.

Cool, thanks for the R1 launch comparison - helps me a bit! The B Asha with 9* head (Amp) was mid launch but I would not mind seeing it a tick higher, the 10.5 could be ideal.

And you are spot on, definitely relative to the person. Thanks for the info buddy!

I got to hit the XL and XL Custom in the hitting bay at Golfsmith yesterday. Custom had the Black Tie on it. Both of them felt great, I tended to hit the Custom a little better, the shaft felt nice. I never really hit anything well at all off of mats so it is hard to tell how well I would really like one over the other. From my initial swings I definitely like them more than last years classic.

The flirtation with the Classic continues...

My main shop finally got more items in so I was able to do a head to head comparison of the 10.5 with the stiff and regular, as well as regular in 9.0. As a preliminary matter, I think I can eliminate the 9*. The regular at 10.5 just feels phenomenal. I get a little draw going on it and basically don't lose it right (my normal miss). I was longer with it too, getting a couple at 270, which is pretty freekin' huge for me. The stiff at 10.5 apparently produced better launch and spin numbers but I tended to lose it right a little bit (not bad, but still) and I wasn't quite as long with this set up. My new teaching pro snuck out to watch me hit some and commented that he's like to see me in the stiff shaft because my SS was at 97. I don't know. The regular just seemed to be money. I guess the good news is if I am responsible I am forced to wait, as the new lesson series is resulting in swing changes so this isn't the best time to buy a new stick.

I figure the R could work for you with the right tempo. As long as you can control it.

Posted via tapatalk.

Sounds like you really enjoyed it, Tequila! Wish I would have been able to hit these beauties....they were still in the plastic wrap but in RH.

The flirtation with the Classic continues...

My main shop finally got more items in so I was able to do a head to head comparison of the 10.5 with the stiff and regular, as well as regular in 9.0. As a preliminary matter, I think I can eliminate the 9*. The regular at 10.5 just feels phenomenal. I get a little draw going on it and basically don't lose it right (my normal miss). I was longer with it too, getting a couple at 270, which is pretty freekin' huge for me. The stiff at 10.5 apparently produced better launch and spin numbers but I tended to lose it right a little bit (not bad, but still) and I wasn't quite as long with this set up. My new teaching pro snuck out to watch me hit some and commented that he's like to see me in the stiff shaft because my SS was at 97. I don't know. The regular just seemed to be money. I guess the good news is if I am responsible I am forced to wait, as the new lesson series is resulting in swing changes so this isn't the best time to buy a new stick.

If you order one from Cleveland directly, they can tip trim the shaft some. This would help the shaft play more in the middle range between the regular and the stiff. Almost like R+. Ask your pro what he would think about it and have a discussion about it.

R&D video of the new driver:

Ok well my XL Custom came a day early!!!

Will be playing with it tomorrow and hope to get a review in tomorrow night after work.

Shes a beauty.

EDITED: Spelled Custom wrong in my excitement lol

Last edited:
Looking forward to it Grim.

Ok well my XL Custome came a day early!!!

Will be playing with it tomorrow and hope to get a review in tomorrow night after work.

Shes a beauty.

Could be a skim, but what shaft did you end up with in the Custom?

EDIT: Nevermind, saw your thread. I'm REALLY looking forward to your thoughts.

Really wasn't that good of a promotional video. I wish Cleveland would step it up with their marketing. I'm not sure the "Classics" is the best way to market it. Look at TM and Callaway being widely successful with their flash ways. I do however really want to try this driver. Maybe pick up the OG classic as it'll be much cheaper. Looking forward to your thoughts Grim.

Really wasn't that good of a promotional video. I wish Cleveland would step it up with their marketing. I'm not sure the "Classics" is the best way to market it. Look at TM and Callaway being widely successful with their flash ways. I do however really want to try this driver. Maybe pick up the OG classic as it'll be much cheaper. Looking forward to your thoughts Grim.

Hmmmm. I guess the marketing did work then.

I think they did an awesome job with the new Classic. It took me nearly all summer to try last years and it went into the bag immediately. This year, when I saw the black, I absolutely HAD to get my hands on one. They've taken their classic and made it mean looking. I love their subtle ways of putting it out there. Letting the products do the talking.

Hit the Classic XL at the golfsmith today. Looks wise, I think it's a good looking club. I'm a big fan of the OG Classic, so I was a little dubious. The all black works really well. Past that though, I didn't see such a huge difference between the two to justify me buying a new one. Shaft was nice and did remind a little bit of the C Kua. If I had to nitpick anything about it I would say that it's a touch light, but that goes away the second you swing it. I think War (think it was War) hit the nail on the head when he said that it looks like the Black and the Classic got together and had a baby. I got a kind of in between feel with the new Classic. Felt lighter than the OG, but was certainly a little stouter for my swing. Same great sound when you flush one. If I were in the market, this would be at or very near the top of my list. Only change I would make is to throw a little bit heavier shaft in there.

R&D video of the new driver:

whats funny about this is....it really reminds me of one of our Morgan Cup promo videos.

No. I rely solely on THP's hype, not to mention my Cleveland loyalism which has nothing to do with their marketing.
Hmmmm. I guess the marketing did work then.

Cleveland certainly doesn't have the same marketing approach as some other brands. The Classics line is actually one that they've used going back decades though. Like the 588 name, it's throwback to their heritage. On a personal level, I find myself preferring their approach, but I'm not a huge fan of flash, wacky names, and all that.

Hit Both the classic and classic XL today at GG on the Sim, LM was packed.

I hit both in 9.0 and stiff against the 8.5 913d3 I was fitted for. The sim was way off on distance(based on what I was getting on the LM when I was fitted) but it was still good enough to see compare since I new my 913 numbers and used it as a base.

I like the feel of both heads, the shafts are weigh to light for me I had trouble feeling the club heads. My dispersion with the XL was left (draw) very consistently and the classic was right(fade). Distance was very close on the sim with the 913 not more than maybe 10yds variance between all three. I would have liked to hit the Clevelands with a heavier shaft in them and see them on the LM. I want to try and get out again maybe I will hit Dicks as I never see them busy and get on their LM.

Has anyone found any info or played around with the weights in the XL Custom? I wonder if they will have them in the fitting cart and how each would alter launch/spin rates. With all the different combinations of loft & shaft selection I assume almost anyone can obtain pretty solid launch numbers based on all the options available through Cleveland custom fitting. Maybe tweaking the back weight would be the last piece in that mix.

Has anyone found any info or played around with the weights in the XL Custom? I wonder if they will have them in the fitting cart and how each would alter launch/spin rates. With all the different combinations of loft & shaft selection I assume almost anyone can obtain pretty solid launch numbers based on all the options available through Cleveland custom fitting. Maybe tweaking the back weight would be the last piece in that mix.

Local Golfsmith had XL custom with Black Tie 9 degree and matrix Ozik as demos only, none for sale as well as just xl.
custom has nice feel, liked weight and dispersion of black tie, did not have time to play around, hit it square only. They had weights, but again, did not play with them... Yet!

Threw some absolute knuckballs out there today with the XL using a Cally Tour i(Z). Spin rates as low as 1,100 rpms, but most ranging in between 1,400-1,800.

Threw some absolute knuckballs out there today with the XL using a Cally Tour i(Z). Spin rates as low as 1,100 rpms, but most ranging in between 1,400-1,800.

Geez, what shaft were you playing Hawk?

The 4s. That's low even for me. I normally crack the 2k mark with this one, so we'll call it an off day I guess.

Posted via tapatalk.

Back