Nike to be market leader in 3 years?

Crag Rat

Yorkshire golf fanatic
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all. I was in Direct Golf on Cambridge UK ( really great place by the way, good practice facilities and great range of clubs) and the Pro's there think that Nike will be the leading OEM in 3 years?

I don't see it but my mate bought a method putter as I was arguing for TM, Callaway, Bridgestone etc.

Now I feel Nike has larger presence in the US than here so if the UK dealers think this I was wondering what you guys in the states think?

I really don't see that happening...they have a long ways to go to catch the big guys IMO

I would actually think the opposite; they probably don't have to make up as big of a market-share difference in the UK (pure volume, not %) so it would be much more feasible than in the US.

Don't think it's going to happen regardless within that timeframe, but I suppose it could be possible in the next decade. It would probably require some serious mis-steps by the others, though.

Three years? No chance. I mean absolutely no chance. Marketshare takes time to gather and in certain categories (hard goods) they are so far behind it would be almost impossible. In fact the way distribution is set up, it might in fact be impossible.

No chance. Not even close.

Three years? No chance. I mean absolutely no chance. Marketshare takes time to gather and in certain categories (hard goods) they are so far behind it would be almost impossible. In fact the way distribution is set up, it might in fact be impossible.

I was shocked but we had a 20 minute debate with the 3 of the Pro's. they started by saying that if they have a fitting then 4 out of 5 drivers they are selling is the Covert, and that the fairways and hybrids are the leaders in volume too?!

I've never really been a fan but I'm popping down there as soon as the Adams Super S hybrids turn up and I'll be comparing to the Rocketballz Stage 2 and the new X-Hots and i'm going to throw in the Nike's now?

Still can't see it though!

3 years? Impossible. Perhaps 10 years. They need to continue with new, bold designs such as the Covert. However, I'm not seeing much marketing behind it. Not like TM did with the RBZ. Maybe they'll gain some % with the new Covert line.

I'm more curious to see if TM can continue this dominance. Remember when Callaway dominated the market?

Hi all. I was in Direct Golf on Cambridge UK ( really great place by the way, good practice facilities and great range of clubs) and the Pro's there think that Nike will be the leading OEM in 3 years?

I don't see it but my mate bought a method putter as I was arguing for TM, Callaway, Bridgestone etc.

Now I feel Nike has larger presence in the US than here so if the UK dealers think this I was wondering what you guys in the states think?

Nike will be in the highest spot that money can buy...

I was shocked but we had a 20 minute debate with the 3 of the Pro's. they started by saying that if they have a fitting then 4 out of 5 drivers they are selling is the Covert, and that the fairways and hybrids are the leaders in volume too?!

I've never really been a fan but I'm popping down there as soon as the Adams Super S hybrids turn up and I'll be comparing to the Rocketballz Stage 2 and the new X-Hots and i'm going to throw in the Nike's now?

Still can't see it though!

I will go a step further and say that despite what your pros are telling you, that at the end of the year, the Covert driver is not in the top 4 in sales for drivers, possibly the top 6 or 7. And the others are no where near the top (hybrids, FW, irons, wedges) in marketshare.

I mean we are not talking about a single store selling some goods. They would have to sell millions and millions of drivers and other things to even have a shot at moving that far up and there is absolutely no way. Here is an example.

Right now they are about 6th or 7th in ball marketshare. That is the near bottom. They would in a sense need Titleist to stop producing balls and Bridgestone to leave the US, and then have Callaway, Srixon and TaylorMade to all sell far less than they are selling now to even move into the top 3 in the category.

I have a feeling that these pros might prefer to fit someone for this driver, hence the stats they are putting out there, because frankly the opposite is happening in the early sales over here.

Frankly you could say that about every one of the top OEMs.

Very true, it just SEEMS like Nike is spending the most money at present. Perhaps they're not?! Either way, it doesn't really impact my thoughts either way. Nike is a four letter word/brand... :wink:

I wondered about them pushing a brand as it suited them but the fitting element surprised me, the strong suggestion being that it was the performance element.

You're right though JB, it was just one store.

Very true, it just SEEMS like Nike is spending the most money at present. Perhaps they're not?! Either way, it doesn't really impact my thoughts either way. Nike is a four letter word/brand... :wink:

I do think you have a little bit of tunnel vision here. Nike doesn't pay that many players. And, they make some really good products. I do think they can climb up the marketshare ladder. But I doubt they will reach #1.

I don't think it's even remotely possible here in the states. Maybe in China or India where they may have a better market share.

I heard the same thing at GG the other day that the covert is their most poplar selling driver right now. But are people buying cause Rory is playing it or because its better for them? I hit the tout and its a good club just not the best for me.

They are actually no where near spending the most money on tour.

It's funny how you can get fooled by perception. I don't think Nike are very big in golf in the UK, and thought they were slightly better in the States.

Agree about China and Far East, and given the population there, might not be a bad move at all!

I do think you have a little bit of tunnel vision here. Nike doesn't pay that many players. And, they make some really good products. I do think they can climb up the marketshare ladder. But I doubt they will reach #1.

True about them not paying many players, but nobody is paying the money they do to Rory or Tiger. I would be curious to see how much the top guys make from their sponsors (hardgoods/apparel) compared to how much Nike pays Tiger and Rory.

True about them not paying many players, but nobody is paying the money they do to Rory or Tiger. I would be curious to see how much the top guys make from their sponsors (hardgoods/apparel) compared to how much Nike pays Tiger and Rory.

But what's the difference if Nike pays two players what Titleist and TaylorMade pay 25?

No way there clubs are nice but unless there pros go win every tournament for the next three years

But what's the difference if Nike pays two players what Titleist and TaylorMade pay 25?

When Titleist and taylormade staffers have a toothache they still have 24 of them to spread the brand name.

Lol.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

No difference, except that if Nike can afford to pay 2 guys that much, then they can then go and grab the next 25 best players and pay them what Titleist and TaylorMade already pays them, and it is still pocket change for a company that has a 2+ billion dollar marketing budget.

No difference, except that if Nike can afford to pay 2 guys that much, then they can then go and grab the next 25 best players and pay them what Titleist and TaylorMade already pays them, and it is still pocket change for a company that has a 2+ billion dollar marketing budget.

I think you might over estimating Nike Golf's size an budget.

Don't think so.

Back