2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
4.5 months away from the greatest amateur event on the planet. I don't know about you guys but I am pumped!!!

Is anyone trying to add a new shot to their game? Or is everyone just fine tuning their current dance partner?

You mean beyond the "Oh :poop:!!!" , "really?!?!?" and the "are you $&@$@& kidding me?!?!?" ??

Yea I am trying to come up with some others.

A question or food for thought to all the staffers. With the equipment pondering becoming less and the equipment choices starting to take form. What is your expectations for getting comfortable with the new bags? How many rounds or how much time do you feel it will take to get it all dialed in?

Man I am chomping at the bit to put in our orders for stuff. I hope that I get them a littler earlier then like a week before the event. But I will be doing some serious range time and playing rounds at the course I am a member at to get used to the clubs. This is my first time getting spec'd out and fitted for clubs. I am ready to get started!

4.5 months away from the greatest amateur event on the planet. I don't know about you guys but I am pumped!!!

Is anyone trying to add a new shot to their game? Or is everyone just fine tuning their current dance partner?

I hope to add consistent driving accuracy and consistent makes from under 8 feet. I've played in wind pretty often playing in KC, so I will be comfortable when the winds blow.

I'm going to add the 283 yard 3 iron shot to my bag this year. Seemed to work well for Rory yesterday.

I will have many new shots with the new irons. Primarily going after the "anti-fat" shot.

For me Ive worked out low runners from the fairway inside of 40 yards. Previously been using the 58* and lobbing it in there, but working on using a 54* and maybe even lower and keeping it low and running it up to where it needs to go

A question or food for thought to all the staffers. With the equipment pondering becoming less and the equipment choices starting to take form. What is your expectations for getting comfortable with the new bags? How many rounds or how much time do you feel it will take to get it all dialed in?

For me the piece of equipment that I need the most time to get dialed in is my wedges. The 1st year the Callaway crew got their wedges 2 days prior to the event and for that was a complete disaster. Just never got comfortable with them and it showed on the course during those 3 rounds. Ideally I'd like about 2 weeks of wedges that way I can spend a lot of time out of bunkers and hitting all sorts of short game shots from 100 and in.
As far as the other stuff, changing irons are pretty simple for me. It takes me a few rounds to get a good handle of distances but that's a transition I've made more than a few times.

When it comes to prepping my schedule is pretty simple. Usually I play Sunday AM, Monday night is either a 9 hole round or practice. Tuesday in the past has been a lesson day, I'll play either Weds/Thursday. Friday is a round with the with the wife, and then usually its 18 on Saturday morning. I'll play 36 on Saturday or Sunday once a month. So I get a lot of time in with the clubs. During the week after my rounds I'll usually hit a bucket or 2 at the range as well.

For me the piece of equipment that I need the most time to get dialed in is my wedges. The 1st year the Callaway crew got their wedges 2 days prior to the event and for that was a complete disaster. Just never got comfortable with them and it showed on the course during those 3 rounds. Ideally I'd like about 2 weeks of wedges that way I can spend a lot of time out of bunkers and hitting all sorts of short game shots from 100 and in.
As far as the other stuff, changing irons are pretty simple for me. It takes me a few rounds to get a good handle of distances but that's a transition I've made more than a few times.

When it comes to prepping my schedule is pretty simple. Usually I play Sunday AM, Monday night is either a 9 hole round or practice. Tuesday in the past has been a lesson day, I'll play either Weds/Thursday. Friday is a round with the with the wife, and then usually its 18 on Saturday morning. I'll play 36 on Saturday or Sunday once a month. So I get a lot of time in with the clubs. During the week after my rounds I'll usually hit a bucket or 2 at the range as well.

That makes a lot of sense. I want some time with the wedges and the putter. Putting is a lot feel and confidence so I hope those few clubs get here the earliest.

And I wish I could golf that much, I got jealous just reading it

I really want to add a kind of flat 50 yard shot that has a ton of spin. Not really a chunk and run but a controlled shot that is more than a pitch but less than a full shot that stops pretty quick. I can do it on occasion and when I can its deadly. I really focus on hitting super down on the ball, almost trying to bury it in the ground. It looks weird but amazingly effective when I do it right.

I really want to add a kind of flat 50 yard shot that has a ton of spin. Not really a chunk and run but a controlled shot that is more than a pitch but less than a full shot that stops pretty quick. I can do it on occasion and when I can its deadly. I really focus on hitting super down on the ball, almost trying to bury it in the ground. It looks weird but amazingly effective when I do it right.

Sounds like it would be a great shot to have. When you get it Down I would low to see it .

I know exactly what you are talking about and would love to have something like that in my aresnal, extremely effective indeed

That makes a lot of sense. I want some time with the wedges and the putter. Putting is a lot feel and confidence so I hope those few clubs get here the earliest.

And I wish I could golf that much, I got jealous just reading it

Luckily for me the putter has always been the fist club I've received so I get used to that relatively quickly. This year will be my first year getting a putter that is properly fit for me.

the first time I played with Ary prior to the 1st MC I was working on that shot. On the 18th hole that day it was the perfect situation and I pulled it off, landed behind the hole and spun it back to 2 feet.

Sounds like it would be a great shot to have. When you get it Down I would low to see it .

When I have it going on, it is cool to watch. It is a low flying shot that looks like I skulled it, then it hits, usually bounces once, and stops. When I don't have it, it is just a skulled bullet hahaha. Needs alot of work still. I hit it pretty well at the end of last summer and once or twice at the MC.

Especially with those bermuda greens at True Blue and Caledonia a shot like that should stop on a dime. That baby would be money too!

Especially with those bermuda greens at True Blue and Caledonia a shot like that should stop on a dime. That baby would be money too!

heck year, at those courses you can throw the ball right at the flag and they check. Completely different from what I'm used to.

I know exactly what you are talking about and would love to have something like that in my aresnal, extremely effective indeed

Right. It is so useful to have that one. Really can get you into scoring position.

Exactly! It was in the beginning stages last year. Hoping to be ready to unleash it this year haha

When I have it going on, it is cool to watch. It is a low flying shot that looks like I skulled it, then it hits, usually bounces once, and stops. When I don't have it, it is just a skulled bullet hahaha. Needs alot of work still. I hit it pretty well at the end of last summer and once or twice at the MC.

chunky hit a skulled bullet that bit and stopped right next to the hole in our sunday match. He was mad as can be when he hit it until he saw the result.

Luckily for me the putter has always been the fist club I've received so I get used to that relatively quickly. This year will be my first year getting a putter that is properly fit for me.

the first time I played with Ary prior to the 1st MC I was working on that shot. On the 18th hole that day it was the perfect situation and I pulled it off, landed behind the hole and spun it back to 2 feet.

Thats what it can do. It gives you shots at pins that you might not normally have shots at.

chunky hit a skulled bullet that bit and stopped right next to the hole in our sunday match. He was mad as can be when he hit it until he saw the result.

hahahah the old ooooooppppppsssssyeeahhhhhhhhhhhhh shot.

Freddie that would be an awesome thread for the entire forum IMO. I'm trying to add a fade to my shot selection

Haha the little temper tantrum took away the ability to say heck yeah that is how I wanted to hit it!!

I was so freaking jealous of that shot. I still have no idea how to hit it without skulling it across the green.

What I'm working on: not drawing/hooking everything. It's not that I really want to add a fade to my game, I just want to straighten stuff out, so I have to work on feeling like I'm hitting a fade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back