2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question or food for thought to all the staffers. With the equipment pondering becoming less and the equipment choices starting to take form. What is your expectations for getting comfortable with the new bags? How many rounds or how much time do you feel it will take to get it all dialed in?

Actually, as a higher-handicapper, I think I actually have an advantage there. I don't hit any club in my bag with razor-like precision, so I don't know that the transition will be a huge impact. In a blind test would I hit a Adams 6-iron significantly different than a Callaway? Probably not.

My bigger concern is actually my fitting. I want to be sure we have adequate time to find the right clubs and shafts. It's hard for me to believe it's going to get done in the typical hour session. Since I plan on driving down to the Callaway Performance Center in Memphis (3.5 hours away) to get fitted, I'm going to see if perhaps I can schedule two fitting blocks, just to be sure I have enough time. I'd hate to spend all my time on the irons and then have them go, "Sorry, we're out of time, but here's a good guess on what will work for a fairway wood."

I think the Morgan Cup Video thread is in need of a bump sometime this week...

You got something planned??? Can't wait!

I've heard some mutterings from the corner of my living room, and I'll need to investigate.

Some great questions in here today...thanks to everyone for participating in this process.

A question or food for thought to all the staffers. With the equipment pondering becoming less and the equipment choices starting to take form. What is your expectations for getting comfortable with the new bags? How many rounds or how much time do you feel it will take to get it all dialed in?

I loved the fact that last year the Callaway staffers got wedges first....the short game is my crutch....I don't hit alot of greens so I really need a solid short game to get up and down to save par or even bogey. So I really hope to see wedges quickly as I am a feel player and will need the most time dialing them in.

I have been playing the driver for a few weeks and I have hit the fairway woods, hybrids and irons so I feel pretty comfortable there (not that I don't want to have time to work on them).

The other thing is my putter. I am known to be a decent putter, but I will more than likely be playing a completely different style of putter than I have in years...I hope that comes in pretty early as well so I can get ready to break some more hearts with some long bombs!

Those of you that are higher handicappers (nearer the 18 cap), what if anything are you planning on changing before the MC to help get a little lower as far as course management, short game control, putting or anything else? This is something I'm planning on working on this year so I'd like to see what strategies others have and how they work for them. If some details are top secret, you can put them in a spoiler and tell the other teams not to look.

I have been taking lessons for about a month and a half and my swing has completely changed, I need to continue to work on that and also work on my course management. I have birdied one of the par 5's on my home course 3/5 times I have played...I usually am about 245-260 out and always took my 3W and tried to blast one and maybe get lucky and chase it onto the green.....well the past 5 times I have played, I hit an 8 iron to leave myself a 110-115 yard shot and then hit a nice controlled wedge to makeable range to give me a true shot at birdie.

4.5 months away from the greatest amateur event on the planet. I don't know about you guys but I am pumped!!!

Is anyone trying to add a new shot to their game? Or is everyone just fine tuning their current dance partner?

I really want to get better with short chips...I still have a tendency to either hit them too high and short or blade them....15 yards off the green I am fine, its the little shots just off the green that I struggle with.

Actually, as a higher-handicapper, I think I actually have an advantage there. I don't hit any club in my bag with razor-like precision, so I don't know that the transition will be a huge impact. In a blind test would I hit a Adams 6-iron significantly different than a Callaway? Probably not.

My bigger concern is actually my fitting. I want to be sure we have adequate time to find the right clubs and shafts. It's hard for me to believe it's going to get done in the typical hour session. Since I plan on driving down to the Callaway Performance Center in Memphis (3.5 hours away) to get fitted, I'm going to see if perhaps I can schedule two fitting blocks, just to be sure I have enough time. I'd hate to spend all my time on the irons and then have them go, "Sorry, we're out of time, but here's a good guess on what will work for a fairway wood."

Wade, when I went to The Callaway Performance Center in Austin, Chad my fitter gave me ample time to hit as many clubs and balls as I needed, I was there for almost 2 hours so I don't think that will be an issue.

Good reading and good questions in here.

My answer mimic's wades answer. I'm going to be really focusing on short game but trying to improve all aspects. It won't be 80% of the time but 100 yards and in will at least be 50-60% of the time I spend working.

Short game, short game, and more short game.

I've heard more than one pro say if you played tee-to-100-yards with Tiger and then Tiger played 100-yards-in, you would break 80. If Tiger played from tee-to-100 yards and then you played from 100-in, chances are you wouldn't come close to breaking 80. While a somewhat silly example, I think there's a lot of truth to it.

I'm going to spend 80% of my time on short game.

I haven't had enough coffee to chuckle at your SA answer. I will revisit soon.

Lol

Way to pull out the crystal ball

SA=Superbly Awesome?

So many details left out there and a mere 19 and a half weeks to go

Now if we could only get some format details......:alien:

Yeah, I am not worried about Saturday...the team rounds are great....I would love to know how we are going to handle singles with 4 teams.

Yeah, I am not worried about Saturday...the team rounds are great....I would love to know how we are going to handle singles with 4 teams.

I believe it was said earlier along the line that we would only be in one match at a time. It came up around the debate around how to handle the situation where one guy gives a player a putt, but the other guy wants him to putt it out.

I'm about to post a thread in the Equipment Forum, Bridgestone people, don't freak out and have a heart attack, it is not what it seems! LOL.

I'm about to post a thread in the Equipment Forum, Bridgestone people, don't freak out and have a heart attack, it is not what it seems! LOL.

Dang it man. Heart attacks and freaking out are fun. Don't ruin the fun!

Dang it man. Heart attacks and freaking out are fun. Don't ruin the fun!

LOL, as much fun as that seemed, it was more related to something I saw on Twitter.

Thanks for the warning, but I opened your new thread before I read this and was all excited for you all!!!

They'll be here soon, I can't wait!!!

no warning here. i got my SeeMore putter for the Morgan Cup.
i posted it in the SeeMore thread. grab a bib before you click there.....

The Morgan Cup was the 1st of its kind. It was my baby and it became an enormous event thanks to the participants, sponsors and the people working behind the scenes. Obviously it will not be the last of its kind. But if a company wants to take the idea verbatim, at least give us some credit. Thanks to the OEM for making the changes and recognizing that the innovation was done by THP, and NOBODY else.

The Morgan Cup was the 1st of its kind. It was my baby and it became an enormous event thanks to the participants, sponsors and the people working behind the scenes. Obviously it will not be the last of its kind. But if a company wants to take the idea verbatim, at least give us some credit. Thanks to the OEM for making the changes and recognizing that the innovation was done by THP, and NOBODY else.

I hate that it took some calling out, but glad they fixed it. You have something special, you should be very defensive. I would be

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I hate that it took some calling out, but glad they fixed it. You have something special, you should be very defensive. I would be

TapaTalk from the iPhone

i agree i'd be pretty fired up if someone stole my idea.

Good stuff. Now any MC updates? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back