Am I missing something?

barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
So I dropped in to the city today for a few things and once i'd finished i thought i'd go look at some golf clothing especially Nike. I really like the Nike shirts but don't like to buy them online as I like the tight fitting spandex type shirts and would rather see them in person first. Anyways I tried a few shops and never seen anything I liked but i thought i would leave the Nike Town store last (the best to last). I go in and I can't find any Nike golf clothing so i ask the assistant where it is and he said they had none as there was no market for it!!!! I can not believe this for one minute so I kind of start to grill him a bit and it never turned in to an argument but more of a debate. I asked him why there was a whole room for basketball clothing and he said there is more demand for it than golf clothing, i have never once seen anybody play a pick-up game of basketball or seen a basketball court being used in Scotland, he also said that the shoe launches have lines out the store which I think is BS. I use to work in Footlocker for a few years whilst at University and I never assisted anyone in buying basketball clothing. I said to him if there was no market for the golf clothing then why have Nike just signed Rory a British golf star for a huge amount? He never had an answer but said if i was desperate to go to another store in the city that stocked Nike golf which is a fair point but Nike are turning business away.

Am i missing something, the home of golf has a Nike Town and they do not have any golf equipment? To me this is a no brainer and whoever made this decision is only slightly less stupid than the person to second this idea.

Sorry if i've had a moan but it seems outrageous

I can't offer any insight, but that's total crap. They should totally carry Nike golf clothes. That's wrong.

Apparently you're missing Nike golf clothing.

I agree that it seems strange, though I obviously can't speak to the popularity of basketball in Glasgow.

News flash: people buy basketball gear and other sports gear to wear when they aren't playing the actual sport. The same doesn't always happen for golf, and if it does, the market is much smaller than basketball and other sports. The Nike Town near me does have a golf section, but it's pretty small compared to the other sports in that store.

Home of golf? You live in Ponta Verda?

I kid.

News flash: people buy basketball gear and other sports gear to wear when they aren't playing the actual sport. The same doesn't always happen for golf, and if it does, the market is much smaller than basketball and other sports. The Nike Town near me does have a golf section, but it's pretty small compared to the other sports in that store.

Shooot i wear my nike golf pants everywhere, shorts too. Heck wearing my shorts now.

Even in orlando, the nike outlets have a much larger selection of basketball stuff than golf. I haven't played basketball in years but I have 3 or 4 pairs of nike basketball shorts.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Shooot i wear my nike golf pants everywhere, shorts too. Heck wearing my shorts now.

I wear golf shorts a lot of places. However, golfers, and by extension the population of this website, are not a big reflection on the general public.

Niketown in San Francisco stopped carrying golf clothes about 6 months ago -- and was also replaced by basketball clothes. I find it hard to believe that with all the space in the Niketown, they can't carve out even the smallest section for golf. Even the Puma store here carries their golf shoes and clothes...

Niketown in San Francisco stopped carrying golf clothes about 6 months ago -- and was also replaced by basketball clothes. I find it hard to believe that with all the space in the Niketown, they can't carve out even the smallest section for golf. Even the Puma store here carries their golf shoes and clothes...

They are in the sales business. If they thought the golf sales would sell better than the bball gear, it would be there. Its that plain and simple. Now if el Tigre gets a few wins, maybe you see a rack or 2 added and if that sells well, it may grow.

my local nike outlet barely has any golf clothes in it. just not a big market compared to other sports as much as most of us here wish it was.

Either do the ones in Franklin mills or Atlantic city. They used to though! I used to find TW shirts at half off.

i guess part of my issue is that i see alot of people with golf stuff on here. Then i remember i am in Jacksonville fl where there are golf courses everywhere around here

It does suck, but the Nike outlet near here does not carry any golf stuff at all. I think the outlets just focus more on the general athletic stuff (running, basketball, soccer, etc.).

Not in Scotland, you don't see people walking around in their leisure with basketball clothing on. If Nike are talking about their is not a big enough market for it then they are way off in their whole store. Scotland has the worst health record in, highest rate of heart disease and obesity in Europe and Nike love their running apparel in the store, I can assure you that's not being bought either haha
They even sell Nike jeans in the store, what's that all about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Barry. The problem that we in the UK have with any of the big US brands that have retail outlets is that generally they won't give a ***t about what the market dictates over here.

If the marketing people at Nike or whoever decide that Basketball or even needlework stuff sells the best over in the US, that is the model that they will usually use throughout the world so that a store in LA is the same as a store in Manchester. I fail to see why they say Basketball stuff is a big seller over here in UK though. I must be missing something as well. Perhaps the people that wear that stuff here only go out after dark and so we cant see them.

Who knows, we are only their customers. Maybe for not much longer in your case if they don't sell what you are after.

The Niketown store he in NYC doesn't have a golf section either. Never has....when I asked why not they said because the clothing is far more expensive and the average person isn't buying a golf shirt compared to someone buying athletic shorts....he had a point but still when you have entire floors dedicated to other sports and you sponsor TWoods, why not ever have a corner of items?

Having been in a lot of Nike Stores, I've only ever seen one store have a golf selection and that was polo's only.

I'm guessing Nike know what they're doing.

Now that I think about it - as for a Nike-specific store, I have only seen golf equipment at their outlet stores....

The Nike outlet just outside Dallas (150+ courses in the metroplex) doesn't have golf clothes either. UA had a few shirts but not much. I guess the other sports move their needle much more or they figure as expensive as golf is, their target market isn't as likely to shop outlet type stores. Just a thought, I could be (probably am) totally wrong though.
The biggest selection I've found other than Golf Galaxy or the like is the Izod store. Rows of shirts, shorts, pants, 1/4 zips bunch of other stuff.

This makes your other thread so much more interesting. You grill an employee for decisions Nike Corporate makes? That's not cool man. Really lame actually.

Oh and by the way, Bridgestone Golf rules!

This makes your other thread so much more interesting. You grill an employee for decisions Nike Corporate makes? That's not cool man. Really lame actually.

No knowledge of another thread, so I may be missing something, but I think it's fair to ask an employee what the thinking is behind the stock policy. 'To grill' in the UK is not aggressive, it is to ask detailed questions. It certainly seems strange that Nike would pour millions into promotion but then make it really hard work to find product. By grilling the employee, then hopefully feedback can be fed into the corporate machine about people with cash, looking to buy product and being thwarted by lack of availability. If I was in charge of a Nike store, I would want to hear about lost sales. :)

I've been to Nike Outlets and it's the same thing. Maybe a tiny bit of golf, but most of it is clothing that I'm thinking, 'who would buy this?' Obviously someone does. It seems like a no-brainer to me for them to stock more golf apparel, but obviously, I'm biased. Nike knows what they're doing and I have a feeling that most of their golf apparel is sold through other retailers as opposed to directly through them, which probably means they stock little to no golf apparel in their own stores. Let's face it, most of us go to golf stores or websites for our golf apparel and they know that.

Yeah try some urban dictionary you might find some terminology really useful, jumping to conclusions about things is not cool, really lame actually. Why not ask or grill the employees because these people are the face of Nike whether they want to be or not. I can't speak to the guy or girl at the top so the next best thing is the person infront of me, if a product was faulty am I not allowed to "grill" the store employee? You would rather I write to head office and ask why my trainer has fallen to pieces. People are entitled to ask questions.

Lots of conclusion jumping going on in this thread.

Back