The Official 2012 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dolphins are sure optomistic about the coming season. All those guys they are signing are only about $12 million cap hit this season, but that jumps to nearly $50 million cap hit for those guys next season; i.e. they aren't going to be able to afford everyone after one season and will have to start cutting other players or redo deals and push money into the future, which will only make future years worse, etc. Mighty risky. Mortgaging the future big time right now. A couple of years from now Oprah will be giving away Dolphins instead of Ravens, especially if they have to sign Tannehill to a big non-rookie deal.

Some expect a huge jump in team cap space for the 2014 season based on NFL dealings. It jumped about 4 million this year, but some are saying a giant spike in the future. I dont see it happening personally, but there are many out there that expect it, including guys in the league.

But deals like the Phins deals are pretty common. They have expiring contracts upcoming and should not have a huge issue staying under with a moderate increase in cap space.

Dolphins are sure optomistic about the coming season. All those guys they are signing are only about $12 million cap hit this season, but that jumps to nearly $50 million cap hit for those guys next season; i.e. they aren't going to be able to afford everyone after one season and will have to start cutting other players or redo deals and push money into the future, which will only make future years worse, etc. Mighty risky. Mortgaging the future big time right now. A couple of years from now Oprah will be giving away Dolphins instead of Ravens, especially if they have to sign Tannehill to a big non-rookie deal.

I don't mind seeing my team active and spending this offseason considering we've sucked for the last decade or two. GM Ireland is on a short leash and I've heard the owner wants to win now.

Another part of this spending spree is that the Dolphins are looking for $200M public funding (tourist tax $) to upgrade their stadium with a retractable roof, move seats closer to the field, etc... Its all part of the Super Bowl 50 or 51 bid. They have agreed with the county to bring this to a public vote. Now considering what happenened with the Marlins recently, I feel like all this spending is a must to help get the votes.

Shows you how much I know about the NFL

Haha, I think they just didnt want to tie up more salary in a RB with Vereen and Ridley there plus Washington.

Haha, I think they just didnt want to tie up more salary in a RB with Vereen and Ridley there plus Washington.

I agree with Ridley, Bolden, Vereen and Washington - Woodhead is the odd man out.

You can't make this stuff up: Elvis Dumervil and the Broncos had until 4 PM Eastern time today to either restructure his contract or they had to release him. They reached an agreement at 3:25 PM Eastern to restructure the deal, which was all well and good.....except they couldn't get the restructured contract with Dumervil's signature on it faxed to the NFL by 4 PM Eastern. So he's now a free agent, and they just can't go and resign him now because there are some salary cap implications to doing that. I'm pretty sure Dumervil isn't the only guy that won't have a job after that fiasco occurred.

DING DONG, THE KOLB IS GONE!! :banana:

Yeah, I'm a little happy that Kevin Kolb was released by the Cardinals today.

Greg Jennings officially giving the Packers and their fans the finger and signs a 5 year deal with the Vikings.

Greg Jennings officially giving the Packers and their fans the finger and signs a 5 year deal with the Vikings.

From my perspective. Not really. The organization let it known that they weren't going to give him what he wanted. He tested the market, and found a better offer.

He didn't hold the Packers ransom like Favre did.

I'm sure ponder will get him the ball just as well ad that rogers guy did lol

I'm sure ponder will get him the ball just as well ad that rogers guy did lol

Might be just a little more air under Pounder's ball.

*i know what I did*

You can't make this stuff up: Elvis Dumervil and the Broncos had until 4 PM Eastern time today to either restructure his contract or they had to release him. They reached an agreement at 3:25 PM Eastern to restructure the deal, which was all well and good.....except they couldn't get the restructured contract with Dumervil's signature on it faxed to the NFL by 4 PM Eastern. So he's now a free agent, and they just can't go and resign him now because there are some salary cap implications to doing that. I'm pretty sure Dumervil isn't the only guy that won't have a job after that fiasco occurred.

Its 2013...faxing lol

From my perspective. Not really. The organization let it known that they weren't going to give him what he wanted. He tested the market, and found a better offer.

So as long as the team gives a player the finger first, its all good?

The Official 2012 NFL Thread

Strictly a cash grab. No way even he thinks the Vikings will be good.

So as long as the team gives a player the finger first, its all good?

In Ted I trust. Hehe.

From what I know, the Packers were negotiating for a while. And couldn't get on the same page.

I like Jennings going to my Vikings. We needed to get a veteran WR to help the passing game in Minnesota.

If they allow faxes, why couldn't they scan it and email it?

They had to do some spending to reach the new minimum that was negotiated during the last CBA. I can't believe the Bengals aren't being as active as the Fish since they have even more money to spend. However, I don't know what the penalties are if teams don't reach the minimum (89% of the cap).

They had to do some spending to reach the new minimum that was negotiated during the last CBA. I can't believe the Bengals aren't being as active as the Fish since they have even more money to spend. However, I don't know what the penalties are if teams don't reach the minimum (89% of the cap).

The way the deal is structured, you will see teams like them, the Bucs, etc sign some very iffy deals. Its not exactly the money spent, but when it has to be spent and for how long. There are so many ways around reaching the minimum its absurd and something that many want fixed. The Bucs have been notorious for crazy deals on 3rd string long snappers worth millions, but only last a week or two to make sure the minimum is met.

The way the deal is structured, you will see teams like them, the Bucs, etc sign some very iffy deals. Its not exactly the money spent, but when it has to be spent and for how long. There are so many ways around reaching the minimum its absurd and something that many want fixed. The Bucs have been notorious for crazy deals on 3rd string long snappers worth millions, but only last a week or two to make sure the minimum is met.

That's interesting. The players acted like that was a big win with the new deal but if it's that easy to get around they are benefiting from it at all.

That's interesting. The players acted like that was a big win with the new deal but if it's that easy to get around they are benefiting from it at all.

They made it slightly stricter. Previously a "floor" meant that at one point in the season, your salaries had to total X amount. It was a complete joke as guys were signed to 10 day contracts and cut. Sadly, there are still too many ways around it if a team really wants to.

They made it slightly stricter. Previously a "floor" meant that at one point in the season, your salaries had to total X amount. It was a complete joke as guys were signed to 10 day contracts and cut. Sadly, there are still too many ways around it if a team really wants to.

Which must be why the Bengals haven't been active. If anyone will try to get out of spending some money it is them.

I should further explain that the floor is not really a team spending floor, but a league wide floor and its based over a several year stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back