TaylorMade ATV Wedges Review - Forum Testing

Well bought myself a 50 ATV the other day; and after deciding to get it bent to 2 degrees upright I'm starting to really like this wedge. I enjoy the head shape but the sole is the #1 reason I bought this club. Crappy rough/loose dirt conditions have really taken a toll on my game the last few months, and the sole of this wedge seems to helping me better contact on the ball. The vokey I was using before had a tendency to go right up and under the ball in these bad lies and really killed my confidence. Starting to get that back with a wedge I trust to get me out of those bad situations.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Well bought myself a 50 ATV the other day; and after deciding to get it bent to 2 degrees upright I'm starting to really like this wedge. I enjoy the head shape but the sole is the #1 reason I bought this club. Crappy rough/loose dirt conditions have really taken a toll on my game the last few months, and the sole of this wedge seems to helping me better contact on the ball. The vokey I was using before had a tendency to go right up and under the ball in these bad lies and really killed my confidence. Starting to get that back with a wedge I trust to get me out of those bad situations.

Good for you and now ya got to change your WITB Tex :D

I shared the same thoughts on the turf interaction, dude. It is really solid. Great news that you are gaining that confidence back...that is HUGE.

Enjoy Toddo as this puppy is a sweet little golfing machine!

Thanks Ole Gray, can't wait for some nice weather to try it!

Nice going man man, I'm going to buy a 50* and a 60 someday too I love the ATV wedges!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I read through a bunch of pages, and it's tough to go through 100+ so I apologize if this has been asked. But, how is this wedge (60°) opened up on a tight lie, and trying to flop it?

That leading edge is WAAAAY up in the air compared to other low bounce options. Anyone have experience they can shed on this type of shot?

Hi, i have the 50 58 and 64 atv, the 64 i use a lot around the greens at my course, there are very few where u can run the ball up and high shots are needed a fair bit. I have no trouble opening the face on the wedges to hit high shots with the clubs, they work really well. I open the face a lot when i am chipping and pitching off tight lies and dont find any problems with those shots.

Hi, i have the 50 58 and 64 atv, the 64 i use a lot around the greens at my course, there are very few where u can run the ball up and high shots are needed a fair bit. I have no trouble opening the face on the wedges to hit high shots with the clubs, they work really well. I open the face a lot when i am chipping and pitching off tight lies and dont find any problems with those shots.

That's the stuff I want to hear. I haven't had this wedge on grass yet, but on the hard floor at a golf store it appears like there is an increase in bounce compared to other low bounce options from manufacturers.

55* Bladez wedge which has the ATV technology here... If you mentally commit to staying down through the ball when hitting off hard pan or tight lies the club does a solid job of handling this shot. Turf interaction is good, and helps. I don't think I've skulked one yet.

Last edited:
I read through a bunch of pages, and it's tough to go through 100+ so I apologize if this has been asked. But, how is this wedge (60°) opened up on a tight lie, and trying to flop it?

That leading edge is WAAAAY up in the air compared to other low bounce options. Anyone have experience they can shed on this type of shot?

Having only a few rounds in with the 60 I have had no problem fully opening the club up for flop shots. My one disclaimer is that the courses I have played are currently very saturated from the winter thaw which is making it extremely easy to get cleanly under the ball. As condition dry out I will report back and give you a better idea of how practical it is to make the shot from hard pan.

Today I had the opportunity to go out and test a few things that were of interest to me and I'm sure the viewers:

• The sound of this wedge is on the video and it's something that is interesting to hear.
  • The performance off hard pan lies are cool.
  • Shots out of the rough work as many have already stated.
  • chip shots from 30 yards out and 10 yards out are fun with this wedge.
  • 90 yard approach shots for the first time for me was awesome. 3 out of 4 balls landed on the green!
  • Accuracy is a premium and this wedge was working well for me.

Next on the agenda to work on:

40 to 75 yard wedge shots are hard for me to be consistent with. My focus will be working hard with this wedge to develop and strengthen this weak link. I will report how this wedge either helps or hinders my improvement in this area. I will be sharing with you my thoughts and looking forward to answering your concerns with this wedge and how it may benefit senior golfers. Also my posts will include insight on the benefits this wedge can bring to the higher handicapper.

Also coming next will be videos of actual sand shots with this wedge from various lies to include fried eggs :bulgy-eyes:, tight bunker lies, and fluffy bunker lies. I will be hitting every shot possible and putting it all on here to show you how this wedge works for me.

Was poking through this review to see what everyone was saying about the ATV and I found someone reviewing a club at Jonesco?! If a club performs well at Jonesco, buy it now! Great video and review. When's the last time you played down this way?

Was poking through this review to see what everyone was saying about the ATV and I found someone reviewing a club at Jonesco?! If a club performs well at Jonesco, buy it now! Great video and review. When's the last time you played down this way?

josh-- Man I was a member at Lake Jonesco for several years prior to moving up Monroe, Ga. last October :D. If you play a round down there anytime soon hook up DawgDaddy as he is an official member now and also tell Mearl hello for me. My nickname down there was Wild Bill :act-up:.

Thanks for the :thumb:eek:n the review/video.

josh-- Man I was a member at Lake Jonesco for several years prior to moving up Monroe, Ga. last October :D. If you play a round down there anytime soon hook up DawgDaddy as he is an official member now and also tell Mearl hello for me. My nickname down there was Wild Bill :act-up:.

Will do. Looking forward to play with you and many of the THPers from GA soon. Already got one of my buddies signed up to THP, too. I'm testing out the ATV 56 soon and if it works for me, going for the 60. Thanks again! Great stuff.

Will do. Looking forward to play with you and many of the THPers from GA soon. Already got one of my buddies signed up to THP, too. I'm testing out the ATV 56 soon and if it works for me, going for the 60. Thanks again! Great stuff.

Good for you buddy and I have no doubt you will enjoy the ATV! I still have mine in the bag and it's a permanent fixture. Looking forward to teeing it up with a in the near future :golf2:

I PMed josh a couple of days ago and we plan to hook up for a round in a couple of weeks, always good to have fellow THPers nearby. I will get him up to Monroe CC sometime soon to meet you and KB.

Just got my ATV 56 not long ago and want to ask a ? Is it just my way of looking at it or does this clubhead seem a little more open than other wedges I have had?

Just got my ATV 56 not long ago and want to ask a ? Is it just my way of looking at it or does this clubhead seem a little more open than other wedges I have had?

Hmmm I have never thought of them as being open Todd. I have been pondering if I could have my wedges bent two degrees up, like the rest of my irons.

I think what I am trying to say is that I am going to have the loft/lie checked this week. I am finding that with the 56 that I am not carrying the ball to the pin like I have with some other wedges which I have used in the past. Also, the longer grip is good in some ways...however it's taking me a little time to get used to it.

I recently purchased my 54* ATV and I love it. This is the first club ive purchased in over 12 years and what a difference it has made to my game in 30 holes ive manged with it I'm knocking it stiff everytime. Need to practice out bunkers before season opener in a week

OG, next time you do a video, I think you should randomly switch up from the guitar picking (which I quite liked) to some serious trash/punk/hard rock half way through the video.

I think what I am trying to say is that I am going to have the loft/lie checked this week. I am finding that with the 56 that I am not carrying the ball to the pin like I have with some other wedges which I have used in the past. Also, the longer grip is good in some ways...however it's taking me a little time to get used to it.

Toddo - I am a huge fan of the ATV wedges - never thought I would give up my Vokeys! But I would say I have noticed that this club seems to be a few yards shorter than the vokeys on shots with the same loft...

OG, next time you do a video, I think you should randomly switch up from the guitar picking (which I quite liked) to some serious trash/punk/hard rock half way through the video.

Done deal partner :thumb:

Toddo -- Have you had the loft checked on the ATV? It's possible that it may be a bit weak.:confused2:

Toddo - I am a huge fan of the ATV wedges - never thought I would give up my Vokeys! But I would say I have noticed that this club seems to be a few yards shorter than the vokeys on shots with the same loft...
Same here. I went from Vokeys to ATV's and noticed they are a little shorter. That said I feel I hit the ATV's better.

I had a great time out there on Friday, been a long tough winter here and I didn't care how I played as long as I was out there. But actually played pretty darn well and the ATV helped with that quite a bit after I got things dialed in. The third hole is a long dogleg left par 5 that I played perfectly to 90 yards for my approach. That was the perfect number last year, so I just put a smooth easy swing on the ATV 56* and watched as the ball flew directly over the flag stick landing about 6 feet past the flag and roll out about 6 feet more. I thought it was just a fluke, so tossed another ball down and actually went just a touch further. No idea what was up, still don't know, but I was longer with that club all day long and started playing for it.

Out of the rough this thing is still a beast. I don't feel the need to close my toe at all going into the heavy stuff, the ATV cuts through it so nice. My soft, slightly open little 50 yard shots were going where I wanted and shutting down quickly, although we had a ton of sand still on the greens, so that still remains to be seen.

About the only thing I struggled with was a tendency to pull my full shots a bit left at times and I'm thinking about building up the grips a little, especially the lower half right hand area to combat my hands a bit. I also struggled out of one sand trap, but the sand was anything but stellar. Overall I was very pleased with this club starting out my season and looking forward to renewing my friendship with the old ATV.

Toddo -- Have you had the loft checked on the ATV? It's possible that it may be a bit weak.:confused2:[/QUOTE] I had it checked today and the person I bought it from on eBay had bent it to 60 degrees...bending it back to 56.

Back