Proper way to say Thanks?

Gianna1025

Reaction score
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Handicap
So my best friend is the head pro at my local track down the shore. I have known him for 10 years and we have a great friendship. Over the last 10 years I have not once paid for my green fees except for scrambles that they hold and even then he gives me the resident rate. He hooks me up with boxes of gloves, clubs that reps give him that he dont want, shoes that he hasn't worn, discounts from all clothing in the pro shop and some freebies here and there including hats and some random smaller things in the shop. Once a year I get him a gift card with whatever I can afford on it as a thank you. This year he asked me to caddie for him in his attempt to qualify for the US Open! Now our friendship is not based on all the ways he hooks me up but sometimes I feel guilty that I am not in a position to reciprocate. I was wondering what everyone thinks would be a proper way to show him I appreciate his generosity. We are playong Bulle Rock next momth and I am strongly considering paying for his round. Is that enough? Anyone have any other ideas?

So my best friend is the head pro at my local track down the shore. I have known him for 10 years and we have a great friendship. Over the last 10 years I have not once paid for my green fees except for scrambles that they hold and even then he gives me the resident rate. He hooks me up with boxes of gloves, clubs that reps give him that he dont want, shoes that he hasn't worn, discounts from all clothing in the pro shop and some freebies here and there including hats and some random smaller things in the shop. Once a year I get him a gift card with whatever I can afford on it as a thank you. This year he asked me to caddie for him in his attempt to qualify for the US Open! Now our friendship is not based on all the ways he hooks me up but sometimes I feel guilty that I am not in a position to reciprocate. I was wondering what everyone thinks would be a proper way to show him I appreciate his generosity. We are playong Bulle Rock next momth and I am strongly considering paying for his round. Is that enough? Anyone have any other ideas?

I would say paying his round would be a nice gesture. Just make sure he knows that you genuinely care about him and his friendship with you. I doubt that he is expecting you to "repay" him for all the gifts he has given you. Just make sure to always tell him how much you appreciate what he does for you and I think that yearly gift card is awesome. Maybe take him out to get a steak or something sometime as well?

I would say paying his round would be a nice gesture. Just make sure he knows that you genuinely care about him and his friendship with you. I doubt that he is expecting you to "repay" him for all the gifts he has given you. Just make sure to always tell him how much you appreciate what he does for you and I think that yearly gift card is awesome. Maybe take him out to get a steak or something sometime as well?

I feel like I do a pretty good job of letting him know that I appreciate everything he does for me but sometimes I just feel like "thanks" ain't enough. The dinner thing is a good idea. He just started eating red meat again after 16 years of being a vegetarian.

I agree picking up his green fee would be nice. The fact he asked you to caddy shows that he not only considers you a friend but he also trusts you :)

Yeah, a round of golf, dinner, drinks, and a "thanks man" would probably make him feel pretty good.

Take him to Fogo de Chao or something. He'll appreciate that.
I feel like I do a pretty good job of letting him know that I appreciate everything he does for me but sometimes I just feel like "thanks" ain't enough. The dinner thing is a good idea. He just started eating red meat again after 16 years of being a vegetarian.

Just a thought but maybe something customized for him not sure what, really could be anything just to show that you appreciate his gestures. Although he sounds like the guy who has everything. Haha good luck.

Buying equipment through their proshop probably helps in a subtle way. You've got an awesome friend who wants to do nice things for you and has the ability to do them, which I think is awesome. I imagine your thanks and your friendship is more than enough, but I love the idea of you grabbing his greens fees at Bulle Rock. That shows appreciation as far as I'm concerned.

What a great friend! I would think letting him know he has all your support & effort in his qualifying attempt would be awesome. It may be understood already, but anything that helps him reach his goal would be likely be greater than any physical or monetary gift you could give him. Can you help him with nutrition or conditioning or any other preparation?

Nice of you Anthony. Hard to say. I occasionally hook someone up somehow, or do something for them. I don't do it hoping to get something back. In fact, sometimes it makes me uncomfortable if good friends or family try to reciprocate with $.

Smaller things are okay though. So maybe not picking up his round, but buying his lunch, a drink/dinner afterwards?

The challenge with paying his round is that it may turn your favorite pastime into a financial issue. Will he feel like he should pick up the next one? Will forgetting who paid last come up? That may put a cloud over your common interest, so I wouldn't go there specifically.

I would pick up his lunch, after-round tab, maybe something in the shop he has his eyes on.

My two cents, but of course I don't know him.

I like your gift card each year or so as a thank you idea but it sounds to me that if you just try to include him in your life that is all he is wanting in return. It is obvious that you two enjoy real friendship and that is something one cannot put a value on. In short, just be a true friend and it will take care of itself.

Why not take him to a philllies game or something like that. I know I would rather go do something with a good buddy than him repay me in money.

Why not take him to a philllies game or something like that. I know I would rather go do something with a good buddy than him repay me in money.

I like that idea. Thought about getting him tickets to the Bruins/Flyers because he is a Bruins fan but he already got them.

The other thing I was thinking was a personalized score card holder but I dont think he'd have much use for it. He doesn't play in enough competitive tournaments and I'm afraid it will he wasted so to speak

Agreed!! Getting to do something together that you both enjoy is a great way to say thank you.

I will echo what some have said, I don't think it's about money. Be genuine so he knows that you really appreciate him. I think the Phillies game is a good idea, or something personalized would be cool too.

This is a great idea. It's a great way to show him how much your friendship means to you and that it's not all about golf.

I'm not 100% sure how it works with other states, but in Nebraska our pros were always able to call over to another course and get on with no greens fees paid and vice versa with other pros coming to our course.

If you REALLY want to get in good, get him a gift certificate to a fancy restaurant and offer to watch his kids if he has any, so he can take his wife out for a great evening. Not only will he really appreciate it, but you'll immediately become HER favorite of his friends.

If you want to do something golf-related, call the guys at SeeMore and see if they can arrange some sort of gift certificate that he can use with his pro discount to buy a wonderful new SeeMore. Otherwise, yeah, a Phillies or Flyers game is a great suggestion. Just don't go cheap on the tickets and get nose-bleed. Get some good seats.

I agree that taking him out to a game or to eat and a few drinks would be nice. It's obvious that he knows how much you appreciate his friendship, he asked you to caddy for him and that shows incredible trust and loyalty.

I like that idea. Thought about getting him tickets to the Bruins/Flyers because he is a Bruins fan but he already got them.

The other thing I was thinking was a personalized score card holder but I dont think he'd have much use for it. He doesn't play in enough competitive tournaments and I'm afraid it will he wasted so to speak

I think the personal scorecard holder could be a great idea - have you seen the other thread about the Ryder Cup Scorecard holders "Tin Box Partners" i think it was called. Yyou can get them marked up with a logo in whatever team colours he likes - the Bruins?, his name and a message - something like , 'stay in the moment'?

Other thing would be to make sure you go up and walk the course and get the yardages right for him - spend the day preparing for his round and ask him if there's anything he wants you to do during the round - build him up, make him laugh, keep quiet?

Sounds like a great friend and I think the fact that he's asked you to caddy for him is also pretty special - I'd love that and I hope you both have a great day - you must let us know how you get on?

Your friend sounds pretty selfless. I'd caddie for him, I'd pay for his round and I'd also not except everything he gives you. A hand written note is always nice. A bottle of wine next trip down. There are lots of way to say thanks with out spending a lot of money.

Take him to Fogo de Chao or something. He'll appreciate that.
Or even better, nothing says you are a true friend like Chipotle, hahaha.

Paying for the round would be nice, ball games as mentioned are good too. Make sure you are available if he needs help (moving, whatever). But it already sounds like he knows you aren't in it just for the freebies.

My mother was in a similar situation with the head pro at the club where I used to work as a teen. The pro would give her lessons and rounds on the house and wouldn't let her pay money for a thing. She did a few things to pay him back that I know were well received.

She brought martinis to her lessons. Partially because he joked on the first lesson that she wouldn't loosen up enough to swing freely, but it became a tradition for them. A martini with a few warm-up shots. Know your pro--this may or may not be well received :act-up:.

She bought a full set of fitted Pings from the shop to replace her Play-It-Again-Sports used starter set. He even gave her the family discount since I worked there, but I know he appreciated the support and the word of mouth marketing she gave him.

Lastly, and most importantly, she offered him professional services in trade for the lessons when he refused to accept cash. She was a lawyer and helped him with some routine legal work he needed done. The two of them were very happy with the arrangement; he got much needed advice and legal work, and she got all the lessons she could fit in her schedule. I don't know what you do for a living, but there may be some way for you to pay him back that way. As golf is your pro's stock in trade, I'm sure he would appreciate the turnabout, assuming yours is a trade or service that he could use.

And by the way, have fun caddying for him. I had the chance to do that a time or two when I worked for the pro... it's a lot of fun being inside the ropes at a tournament, even at a qualifier!

Find out what his hobby is outside of golf and get him something to do with that. He'll appreciate a gift like that along with your thanks.

You should buy him flowers. Guys love that!

All of the pro's I know haven't paid for a round of golf since getting their Class A PGA card. It's kind of a respect/reciprocating thing from the pro at the other course so that might backfire if his round is free.

I'd just keep supporting his pro-shop and bringing in new business for him - other people to buy stuff and hold an event there - tournament, event or banquet if you have something coming up.

Back