Nike VRS Covert Fairways??

TeedUpThoughts

#TeamNE
Reaction score
Handicap
< Last Yr!
I have the golf channel app for my iPhone, which is sponsored by Nike, and was watching the video "Covert Operation:Nike unveils new driver" and thought I saw what could be the fairway wood version part of the way through:(can't figure out how to add the photo so here's a link)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90342922@N08/8202733229/

Has anyone heard anything about the fairway wood offerings to match the Covert driver?

Looks like that could be it!

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Looks like a smaller version of the driver. Could interesting. I'm very certain we will hear more about this as the new year gets closer.

I don't look at the sole at address. I want to try the new Nike stuff out and THEN decide.

I think a cavity in a fw would fill with dirt.

I'm really eager to hit the new Nike gear. I love my VRS, the VR Pro limited was a beast and the VRS line is impressive. I do not see this being any less impressive.

I'm all for personal choice but viewed from above it looks like a traditional club

I don't look at the sole at address. I want to try the new Nike stuff out and THEN decide.

Agreed, there are aesthetics to the design that I don't care for, but if it performs for me why wouldn't I consider adding it to the bag.

Unfortunately we must honor embargo dates here at THP, so posting certain links are not allowed. Sorry about that guys.

Pictures or not, I really enjoyed the VRS fairway woods and if this new design lives up to the hype, this might just be awesome.

Strictly from a design point of view, it looks ugly. However from a engineering aspect, the design looks like it can actually help with a solid strike of the ball. And what I mean by that is the first 25% of the sole looks like it is the only part of the club that makes contact with the ground. This could promote a smoother, and faster strike of the ball, If you have a lot less resistance. I've noticed with my R11 3W that most of the sole is dirty, and that's when a solid ball strike takes place. All in all, I can't wait to try these driver, fairways, and hybrids.

Strictly from a design point of view, it looks ugly. However from a engineering aspect, the design looks like it can actually help with a solid strike of the ball. And what I mean by that is the first 25% of the sole looks like it is the only part of the club that makes contact with the ground. This could promote a smoother, and faster strike of the ball, If you have a lot less resistance. I've noticed with my R11 3W that most of the sole is dirty, and that's when a solid ball strike takes place. All in all, I can't wait to try these driver, fairways, and hybrids.

You buy into the Hamm XPLOSION driver too?

za4ema6u.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353552184.481650.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353552184.481650.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure if that is a stab at my comments toward the Nike fairway. But that was my opinion as far as what I gather from the picture. Am I right?, who knows. But I don't buy into anything. Every club I have and had ever had is based on experiences and results. If this club out preforms my current 3W, it will replace, if it doesn't, then so be it. But just like the first cavity back irons, inverted cone irons, adjustable drivers and metal woods, only time will tell if the technology and design is hype or proven technology. Happy Thanksgiving.

I can really see how the cavity would be a huge benefit. As long as it doesn't change the way it feels when swung, I think the extra perimeter weighting will be huge!

I didn't think of it like this I like where you mind is at. Very intersting.

Flawed in my opinion. If you make a solid strike, you're going to hit the ball first than the ground. Doesn't matter what the sole is designed like if you're hitting it solid. The resistance of the club should never apply until after the ball is already launched into the air. The dirt on your 3w after a solid hit, like I said, is from the contact made with the ground after hitting the ball. If you hit the ground before the ball, then it's not solid, it's fat. In that case, maybe less of a sole would help...

A lot of people do not hit ball first, so I think that the sole will help the people that catch a tiny bit of turf before hitting the ball.

Flawed in my opinion. If you make a solid strike, you're going to hit the ball first than the ground. Doesn't matter what the sole is designed like if you're hitting it solid. The resistance of the club should never apply until after the ball is already launched into the air. The dirt on your 3w after a solid hit, like I said, is from the contact made with the ground after hitting the ball. If you hit the ground before the ball, then it's not solid, it's fat. In that case, maybe less of a sole would help...

Not every golfer hits the ball first. In fact there's some shots where scooping the ball is a better option then hitting down on it.

Anybody playing the Covert fairway woods or had the chance to compare them with the other fairway woods out there? I just haven't seen many reviews on the fairway woods.

Anybody playing the Covert fairway woods or had the chance to compare them with the other fairway woods out there? I just haven't seen many reviews on the fairway woods.

Yes. I have. They are very good fairway woods. I think there are better option out there, for me. And that is from a big Nike Golf fan. I don't like the Kuro Kage in these. The numbers were not as good for me as compared to some other options out there but that doesn't mean that these wouldn't be great with the right shaft combination.

Thanks. Figure I'll test them against my RBZ but just wondered others' thoughts before I do.

Thanks. Figure I'll test them against my RBZ but just wondered others' thoughts before I do.

Without doing a side by side myself, the RBZ will probably be longer.

Without doing a side by side myself, the RBZ will probably be longer.

Anymore I care most about accuracy, consistency, and an ability to control the fairway woods. That's what led me to the Covert driver over the RBZ was the tightness of the dispersion. I rarely am getting home in 2 on par 5s so I'm generally playing for position and to a yardage.

Haggis, I'm in the same position as you. I am never reaching a par 5 in two. Accuracy off the deck is much more important. I hit the tour hybrids a few weeks back, albeit on a LM, but I really liked the control. Plus I just hit my driver yesterday and after a few pushes, I was pretty much control where I wanted it. Only a guess, but I would think FWs would act the same. I would love to get some more info too..

Back